Packers releasing WR Jordy Nelson

deltarich87

The reports on Nelson and taking a pay cut are inconsistent.  

He said in a interview toward the end of the season he would be open to something like that in order to play 2-3 more years in GB.

Told teammates and others that he was not interested in a contract restructure.

GB approaches Nelson about a significant pay cut and he declines, and subsequently cut.  

Likely we will not know the full and absolute truth as to how things transpired.  In the end, Nelson is no longer a GB Packer, sucks, but the sun will rise tomorrow and a new 53-man roster for the GB Packers will take the field in September.  Turnover in the NFL happens.  Sometimes it is more/less clear than others.

Just a thought for all you guys whining the we done Jordy dirty  

Jordy gave the Packers a home town discount and so did Cobb. Maybe it had to do with who was throwing to them.  Remember Greg Jennings and how average he looked after he left Green Bay. How about James Jones?  Do you think he was having any fun in Oakland?  I think those guys regretted their decisions. Sure the made a little more money but they didn't look anywhere near as good as when AR was passing to them. That may have factored into Cobb and Nelsons decisions to stay at a lower price tag. 

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

But was it an insult or was it a fair offer? We'll see what kinds of offers he gets from other teams. I doubt that he will get a big guarantee, and if he makes it through training camp he may not survive cut-down day. 

No offense but idk how or why people are thinking Nelson is that washed up where he might not even make a 53. Come on. He’s got at least another year or two of NFL production. 

23 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

No offense but idk how or why people are thinking Nelson is that washed up where he might not even make a 53. Come on. He’s got at least another year or two of NFL production. 

There's no chance he's cut before the season unless something insane happens. Much like Randall, he got a lot worse once he wasn't on the team anymore.

4 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I can be your best friend for twenty years and always pick up the check. Then bang your wife one day. It isn't offset by the twenty preceding years.

I'm not comparing that to this, but the fact he made money here doesn't make it impossible to do something ****ty to him. That's all I'm saying.

Sure, but we didn't. But there's no other way to have done him dirty other than by cutting him or not giving him enough money.

But the GB franchise did the opposite of that. He literally earned more than twice as much as we promised to pay him when he signed the contract.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Sure, but we didn't. But there's no other way to have done him dirty other than by cutting him or not giving him enough money.

But the GB franchise did the opposite of that. He literally earned more than twice as much as we promised to pay him when he signed the contract.

I just don't agree...

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

With what ha? 

I'm just stating a stone cold fact: we promised Jordy $14million and paid him $31 million.

With this parlor trick trying to pretend we paid him twice as much as we "promised." He likely signed that last deal expecting to see every single year of it. He didn't walk away going oh gee golly thanks for paying me double my signing bonus money Mr Packer guys!!

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

With this parlor trick trying to pretend we paid him twice as much as we "promised." He likely signed that last deal expecting to see every single year of it. He didn't walk away going oh gee golly thanks for paying me double my signing bonus money Mr Packer guys!!

Any player expecting to be guaranteed something that is literally not guaranteed is foolish IMO.

I don't think Jordy is foolish.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I get what you are saying in this discussion.  

I agree with incognito in that the contract has a few written or unwritten concepts within it.   The Guaranteed $$ is just that guaranteed to be paid regardless of whether there is an injury or any issue that would warrant Nelson not being able to play.  It also would cover when the performance and production does not match the salary that is due.  

All players in the NFL are in this same situation....except for Cousins (now having a fully guaranteed contract)   The base salary in the back end of the contract are always up for voiding by cutting the player.  

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I get what you are saying in this discussion.  

I agree with incognito in that the contract has a few written or unwritten concepts within it.   The Guaranteed $$ is just that guaranteed to be paid regardless of whether there is an injury or any issue that would warrant Nelson not being able to play.  It also would cover when the performance and production does not match the salary that is due.  

All players in the NFL are in this same situation....except for Cousins (now having a fully guaranteed contract)   The base salary in the back end of the contract are always up for voiding by cutting the player.  

And I'm fine with that.. But it's not like we did him an awesome favor paying his base non guaranteed salary during those years. That's expected. So is getting cut early or taking a pay cut. Typically you don't ask them to take 1 mil instead of 9 lol. 1.1 for Jordy Nelson... Just think about that. He's probably gonna get 7-8 million

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Any player expecting to be guaranteed something that is literally not guaranteed is foolish IMO.

I don't think Jordy is foolish.

He probably didn't go, yeah I'll get EVERY year, but he wasn't thinking anything on top of my guarantees is just gravy like you're pretending though.

3 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

We, regular people wasting time on a football forum, are able to tell immediately which years are easy cuts in a contract when details are released. Do you really think players and their agents don't consider this when they sign them?

I love Jordy to death and I'm very sad to let him go but I don't think it's accurate to say we did him dirty.

Archived