Jerrick McKinnon agrees to terms with the 49ers

DirtyJersey9er

Love it! Very excited to have McKInnon on the 9ers! Surprised how many people are hung up on the contract. The money doesn't bother me at all.

The way I see it getting a proven RB in free agency enables us to avoid using a high pick on one in the draft and I think our draft resources are better spent elsewhere.

He is a superb scheme fit and will give Shanahan a lot of options. The money is rich, but the contract details will reveal a lot. It will be front loaded and incentive-laden and probably less cap intensive than it sounds at first blush. ~50 passing targets was a lot to be handing to a guy in Hyde that couldn't do anything with them. McKinnon will use them excellently. And with Breida taking ~10 carries a game at an excellent clip, McKinnon won't have to do more than run outside zone ~5 times a game and inside once or twice. 

13 minutes ago, JIllg said:

He is a superb scheme fit and will give Shanahan a lot of options. The money is rich, but the contract details will reveal a lot. It will be front loaded and incentive-laden and probably less cap intensive than it sounds at first blush. ~50 passing targets was a lot to be handing to a guy in Hyde that couldn't do anything with them. McKinnon will use them excellently. And with Breida taking ~10 carries a game at an excellent clip, McKinnon won't have to do more than run outside zone ~5 times a game and inside once or twice. 

I even think you're underselling what he'll accomplish as a runner. He was not a fit in post-Peterson Minnesota. He's ideal here.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I even think you're underselling what he'll accomplish as a runner. He was not a fit in post-Peterson Minnesota. He's ideal here.

Possibly I was unclear? I think that he'd produce at least Breida-level on outside zones and probably more. He's excellent for those runs. But there aren't more than ~18 carries a game to go round. Breida was ineffective in the passing game but excellent in our bread and butter run plays. He's a natural for at least 8 of those carries. That leaves ~7 to 10 carries (but probably the lower end of that number, given that there will probably be a couple for another guy, possibly in short yardage) for McKinnon that he'll do well with (though he is much less useful running inside). That has a lot of value. 8 million on a running back? Probably not. But the coaching staff and front office hasn't used running backs and full backs as the basis for their other contract at the position - see Juice. 

McKinnon is a good fit schematically, a nice player overall, but not great. Does offer something we haven't had in a while with any sort of consistency, which is nice. Unfortunately, I can't see him being a bell cow. We should be looking at a far more even split in snaps next year between he and Breida (with the third running back sprinkled in).  Should continue to help the offense. The contract (on face value), is poor value, but a lot will be tied into the way it's structured. 

McKinnon wasn't signed to be the bell cow but to be a threat in the receiving game. I'd wager to bet Breida ends up with as many if not more carries next season. So the question is, do you pay someone this much money just to be a pass catcher out of the backfield? I mean Shanny is the same guy that paid Juice Check 24 million mainly due to his pass catching abilities. 

Damn, 54 million for these two. Shanny is one of if not the best offensive coach in the league though, so I'd give him some benefit of doubt. But……   

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McKinnon wasn't signed to be the bell cow but to be a threat in the receiving game. I'd wager to bet Breida ends up with as many if not more carries next season. So the question is, do you pay someone this much money just to be a pass catcher out of the backfield? I mean Shanny is the same guy that paid Juice Check 24 million mainly due to his pass catching abilities. 

Damn, 54 million for these two. Shanny is one of if not the best offensive coach in the league though, so I'd give him some benefit of doubt. But……   

I'll take that bet

7 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Possibly I was unclear? I think that he'd produce at least Breida-level on outside zones and probably more. He's excellent for those runs. But there aren't more than ~18 carries a game to go round. Breida was ineffective in the passing game but excellent in our bread and butter run plays. He's a natural for at least 8 of those carries. That leaves ~7 to 10 carries (but probably the lower end of that number, given that there will probably be a couple for another guy, possibly in short yardage) for McKinnon that he'll do well with (though he is much less useful running inside). That has a lot of value. 8 million on a running back? Probably not. But the coaching staff and front office hasn't used running backs and full backs as the basis for their other contract at the position - see Juice. 

Oh no, I understood you. In the last 5 games with Garoppolo, we averaged 27.4 carries/game (not including Garoppolo attempts because of kneeldowns/scrambles). I expect that trend to continue. I think McKinnon will be more in the 12-15 carry range. Not an extraordinary difference,  but a notable one I think.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't...not with so many options out there who do exactly this, but it also highly depends on what kind of value you give to his explosiveness. He had 7 20+ yard receptions which is not something small (basically 1 in 7 catches for him), and that's not something you're getting from the other pass catching backs. There are plenty of excellent pass catching backs available - Woodhead, Vereen, Jamaal Charles...but McKinnon does offer that game breaking ability that none of them do. So are you giving an extra 5.5 - 6 million pure year for the explosiveness alone? 

Archived