Patriots aquire Jason McCourty from Browns

13 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Love it. He was good for them last year, don't really understand why they're giving him away but I won't question it.

they were going to cut him since they signed other cb's.

I like the philosophy of trading this year to keep the comp picks rolling in 2019 for Butler and Solder.

11 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Love it. He was good for them last year, don't really understand why they're giving him away but I won't question it.

It would be ignorant to not question what he offers. I don't think he is much of an upgrade, but it was kind of expected he would be pursued by the Patriots because of his brother on the team and they needed veteran depth in the secondary.

23 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I like the philosophy of trading this year to keep the comp picks rolling in 2019 for Butler and Solder.

So the net difference between the Patriots 6th round selection and the Browns 7th round selection is 14 spots (compensatory picks in between)... that late in the draft, it's almost a something for nothing trade.

Makes me wonder if the Hollister twins both can make this year's roster... have brothers on both sides of the ball!

EDIT: There's also Glen Gronkowski... but it doesn't seem like he has a future in the NFL.

20 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

It would be ignorant to not question what he offers. I don't think he is much of an upgrade, but it was kind of expected he would be pursued by the Patriots because of his brother on the team and they needed veteran depth in the secondary.

An upgrade over what though? Regular season Malcolm Butler last year, probably not. Over Rowe/Bademosi/Jones/etc? I sure think so.

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but signing guys who are signed after being cut do not affect comp pick calculations. 

14 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but signing guys who are signed after being cut do not affect comp pick calculations. 

You are correct. Players who are under consideration for the compensatory formula must be UDFA or have contracts voided before the new league year. 

Cool to have him here, just years too late. Not sure he’s an upgrade over Rowe as a boundary CB or J. Jones as a slot CB. Builds depth at a position that had little though, so hard to be mad at the move. 

Browns fans are saying he was really bad in man coverage last year. Gilmore really came out when he started playing more man and less zone. It’ll be interesting to see what sort of coverages NE uses next year compared to 2017 with new personnel.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Not sure he’s an upgrade over Rowe as a boundary CB or J. Jones as a slot CB.

The key is that they can now be flexible with Rowe and utilize him in the right match ups (man on long receivers with help over the top). McCourty can play against schemes they want to use zone in. 

30 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The key is that they can now be flexible with Rowe and utilize him in the right match ups (man on long receivers with help over the top). McCourty can play against schemes they want to use zone in. 

You're talking abot Jason... right? ?

Archived