Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A thing I wonder is how (whoever we draft) deals with being benched for however long with McCown and Bridgewater ahead of them on the depth chart.

As long as it takes for them to be ready to be the starting QB. look how long it took for Rodgers to be a starting QB,even John Unitas sat behind George Shaw & John Brodie was a backup for YA Title till the 49ers  trade Title to the Giants, and they are not the only QB's who had to wait to start. I sure whoever will draft will be patient it could be a year or less who knows. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A thing I wonder is how (whoever we draft) deals with being benched for however long with McCown and Bridgewater ahead of them on the depth chart.

I don't look at it as being benched. They are learning. If the rookie comes in and tears it up he will start week 1. These guys only signed 1 year deals. McCown is not going to be the starter. He is another coach in the film room. The only way he starts is if Bridgewater knee is not ready and the rookie is not ready either. I really do think Bridgewater is a career backup now or his career might be over. There were team doctors that have told the Vikings his knee will not hold up. If we draft Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold these guys will most likely start week 1. If we draft Allen we will most likely start McCown then going to Allen in like week 10 or so. 

I could honestly see it not sitting well with Rosen and Mayfield. Mayfield already said he wants to be rookie of the year. I think those guys will try and push their way into the starting lineup.

Honestly, if they understand the playbook, I see no reason why they shouldn't start. Darnold is a bit young. So, he has other reasons why he should sit. But these others guys can learn by taking their lumps in live action. As long as our O line looks at least average though. 

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

The underclassmen note could be more of a coincidence though. We know he likes to go best player available. It just happens that Leo and Jamal were best player available. I don't recall Lee being considered BPA though. Seems more like they wanted a specific type of player.

Also, I could be wrong but I think most 1st round picks are underclassmen. Most elite players don't stay all 4 years. If it's reasonable for them to go in the first round, they usually come out even if they can benefit from another year in college.

Absolutely true, however, Macc has always cited age and upside potential as big factors for each of those 1st round picks. Maybe he's fabricating it, but each post-draft conference its one of the top 3 builtin points for him when discussing a prospect they select. Not saying it means that he'll rank guys like Darnold or Rosen higher because they're younger, but you have to consider that when trying to project which QBs he'll prefer. 

Another interesting link: Matt Bazirgan, our new Director of College Scouting, and Johnathon Stigall, who won AFC Scout of the year, have a lot of links to the Wyoming territory throughout their careers.  

4 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Is this telling at all? Did we usually do this with Woody?

Did 

Jets are still having a problem with "next" qb at #3. I expect him to meet all top qbs except Darnold in person. That is one of several things that happen at pre draft visit.

35 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Another interesting link: Matt Bazirgan, our new Director of College Scouting, and Johnathon Stigall, who won AFC Scout of the year, have a lot of links to the Wyoming territory throughout their careers.  

Stigall is in for Midwest region.  Not sure if it includes Wyoming.

Bazirgan has been inside of Jets' front office for 4 years so there is a good chance that he did not watch all of Allen's games in Wyoming. Maybe 2 or 3 games this year at the request of Christopher Johnson.

Their distinct ties with whoever actually scouted Josh Allen remain unknown. 

I try not to second-guess to myself about Jets connecting to Josh Allen because I still don't believe Jets have 20 dozens of scouting binders on Allen like Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.

BTW, do you have any knowledge of all Jets' area scouts?

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

I could honestly see it not sitting well with Rosen and Mayfield. Mayfield already said he wants to be rookie of the year. I think those guys will try and push their way into the starting lineup.

Honestly, if they understand the playbook, I see no reason why they shouldn't start. Darnold is a bit young. So, he has other reasons why he should sit. But these others guys can learn by taking their lumps in live action. As long as our O line looks at least average though. 

Mayfield would do everything it takes to win the starting gig. No doubt in my mind that kid just wants to be great and will take on any obstacle to do it.

43 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Is this telling at all? Did we usually do this with Woody?

Did 

Probably just looking to see if he checks the box from a personality stand point. I think Chris Johnson will meet Rosen as well when he comes in later this week. 

4 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

What? No. The trade was done before the Bridgewater deal was even finalized. 

Yea. I don't see the Jets trading Bridgewater before training camp. It doesn't make sense to trade him. We are not getting much for him at the moment. But if he plays like he did earlier in his career, he can start for us or we can trade him for much more than we can at the moment. 

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

Mayfield would do everything it takes to win the starting gig. No doubt in my mind that kid just wants to be great and will take on any obstacle to do it.

I expect all of them to compete. But odds are stacked against them to start Week 1. My question was how will these guys deal with not playing and riding the bench. Most these guys have never been a backup and their ego might fight against it altering the development if they become sour. I surely hope whoever we draft has a better attitude than that. But it can’t get pushed to the side to think that not starting will rub a couple of these guys the wrong way. Rosen and Mayfield being the 2 main guys I’m talking about.

Archived