Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Great read.  Assuming we have the choice between Rosen and Mayfield I'd still probably lean Rosen but I feel really good about should the cards fall Darnold and Rosen 1/2 that taking Mayfield over Allen is best.  I'd be really happy with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield so it's comforting knowing that 1 is going to be there.  I just hope the Jets feel the same way and don't have Allen in the mix.

57 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

If Rosen, Allen and Mayfield are available when we pick and we go Mayfield is anyone upset about it? I'd be fine with it.

My rankings are.

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Allen (I even might like Jackson more than Allen)

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

My rankings are.

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Allen (I even might like Jackson more than Allen)

Jets' rankings are

1. Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen.

2. Rudolph.

3. Jackson.

4. Lauletta.

Sorry.

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

If Rosen, Allen and Mayfield are available when we pick and we go Mayfield is anyone upset about it? I'd be fine with it.

I’d be okay with it.

Im starting to lean away from Rosen. I really don’t want to draft the next Bradford and one more concussion for Rosen and serious questions are going to be raised about his future.

If Darnold is on the board at our pick Mac better sprint to the podium no questions asked. He won’t make it past the Giants though 

Per Brian Costello on Mayfield:

The word around the league meetings is the Jets love his leadership abilities. They see him as the player who could be their spark plug on offense, a player they can pair with last year’s first-round pick, Jamal Adams, their new leader on defense, for years.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/todd-bowles-just-stoked-all-the-baker-mayfield-to-jets-buzz/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

I wouldn't be upset if we go Mayfield. I know he throws into large windows but he is hitting his receivers in stride. His accuracy is more than just stats. The ball just goes where he wants it to go. The reason why I wouldn't be upset is because, while I think Rosen is the better QB, Rosen comes with durability issues that can't be ignored. 

The two knocks on Mayfield are height. There have been plenty of successful QB's that were 6'2" and under . Joe Montana (6'2"), Steve Young (6'2"), Brett Favre (6'2"), Aaron Rodgers (6'2"), Drew Brees (6'0"), Joe Namath (6'2"), Bart Starr (6'1"), Johnny Unitas (6'"1"). IDK. I feel like I am listing the best QB's of all time.  The bigger question is why 6'4" consider the proto-type? If you pull up a list of best QB's of all time, it might just be 6'2".

The second knock is offensive system. Can't really do much here. He played in the offense he played in. But if you look at his throws, they are all on point. He hits his receivers in stride and gives them the ability to keep running. 

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I wouldn't be upset if we go Mayfield. I know he throws into large windows but he is hitting his receivers in stride. His accuracy is more than just stats. The ball just goes where he wants it to go. The reason why I wouldn't be upset is because, while I think Rosen is the better QB, Rosen comes with durability issues that can't be ignored. 

The two knocks on Mayfield are height. There have been plenty of successful QB's that were 6'2" and under . Joe Montana (6'2"), Steve Young (6'2"), Brett Favre (6'2"), Aaron Rodgers (6'2"), Drew Brees (6'0"), Joe Namath (6'2"), Bart Starr (6'1"), Johnny Unitas (6'"1"). IDK. I feel like I am listing the best QB's of all time.  The bigger question is why 6'4" consider the proto-type. If you pull up a list of best QB's of all time, it might just be 6'2".

The second knock is offensive system. Can't really do much here. He played in the offense he played in. But if you look at his throws, they are all on point. He hits his receivers in stride and gives them the ability to keep running. 

I’d say the last 1/2 of your debate on size isn’t worth noting. Height for QBs back then wasn’t as much of an issue as it now bc players as a whole weren’t as big back then. The 1st 5 I can live with the comparison. Although Mayfield is shorter than everyone you mentioned besides Brees. The comparison ya gets thrown around with Mayfield is Wilson. I actually really dislike that comparison. Mainly bc Wilson’s legs are what generally make it to where he succeeds (and revelry he’s struggled). Mayfield doesn’t have even close to the athleticism as Wilson IMO.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d say the last 1/2 of your debate on size isn’t worth noting. Height for QBs back then wasn’t as much of an issue as it now bc players as a whole weren’t as big back then. The 1st 5 I can live with the comparison. Although Mayfield is shorter than everyone you mentioned besides Brees. The comparison ya gets thrown around with Mayfield is Wilson. I actually really dislike that comparison. Mainly bc Wilson’s legs are what generally make it to where he succeeds (and revelry he’s struggled). Mayfield doesn’t have even close to the athleticism as Wilson IMO.

True on the different playing eras. Although I have my doubts on some of these QB's being their listed height. See picture below. Someone is lying about being 6'2" Haha. I'll take Favre at his word. Saw a picture of Joe Montana and Steve Young and they are pretty much the same height. Joe might have Young by an inch. 

Image result for steve young and brett favre

My QB rankings for us

1 Sam Darnold (something feels wrong about him in my gut but everything else seems right for this in my head)

2 Baker Mayfield / Josh Allen

3 Josh Rosen - more I watch him the less I like him. Pocket presence and feel comes off as worse than the other qbs above. Stats seem padded by a lotta dump offs, screens, and crossing routes. And he may have the weakest arm of the 4.

4. Jackson ... badly badly needs work on his mechanics and someone who will use him to his strengths ... he throws mostly with his wrist and arm no body...  and I think someone like Sean Payton would use him far better than us.

For fun, I dug up some pics of some of the QB's I listed.

Aaron Rodgers went to the combine; so, he has proof he is 6'2". Standing next to Rodgers, Brett Favre is practically the same height. So, Brett Favre looks to be a solid 6'2". Now you have the SF QB's, I'm thinking Steve Young is 6'0" and Joe Montana is 6'1". I think a lot of guys use to lie about their height because teams would otherwise pass them over. 

Agree, Baker is not that athlete Russell Wilson is. Across the board, Wilson's combine stats are better. Baker's combine stats are really close to Drew Brees. Probably a better comp from an athleticism perspective. 

38 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

For fun, I dug up some pics of some of the QB's I listed.

Aaron Rodgers went to the combine; so, he has proof he is 6'2". Standing next to Rodgers, Brett Favre is practically the same height. So, Brett Favre looks to be a solid 6'2". Now you have the SF QB's, I'm thinking Steve Young is 6'0" and Joe Montana is 6'1". I think a lot of guys use to lie about their height because teams would otherwise pass them over. 

Agree, Baker is not that athlete Russell Wilson is. Across the board, Wilson's combine stats are better. Baker's combine stats are really close to Drew Brees. Probably a better comp from an athleticism perspective. 

For 6 2 qb, I would go with Rodgers because he releases football well above eye level. Favre was about barely above shoulder level.

Unfortunately, Wilson, Montana  and Brees weren't 1st rounders.  NFL keep dismissing qbs' past/current success in NFL for 1st round consideration. It may be a reason behind frequently mentioned short height.  Not many coaches have faith in developing short qb into successful NFL qb so they better off wait until middle round to take a risk.  Mayfield is no Michael Vick so there is a problem.

If Mayfield is taken in top 5, his qb coach and OC better off to have a way to utilize him EXTREMELY well to protect the investment.  Remember Steelers and Dolphins. They were old school run first teams until they got Big Ben and Dan Marino. Dan Shula immediately changed the offense to wild pass first team. Bill Cowher strategically transferred the smashmouth offense to fast pass attack offense to get his first Super Bowl ring.   Sad to say both HC were a freaking seasonal coaches compared to our beloved HC in Todd Bowles.

NFL teams should not use the "That is how we operate in NFL" material on Mayfield.  Other top 3 qbs are fine.   Take Cowboys and Dak Prescott for instance, Scott Linehan added play action or whatever it is to his normal WCO to make it workable for Prescott. Again, he was taken in 3rd.

Mayfield being in top 5 remains a high risk for every NFL head coach so I can't use Brees, Montana, Wilson and likelihoods as a powerful reason why he should be taken in top 5. Outside top 15 is a good bet but top 10 may be all right. Thus, I fail to see Mayfield going to Jets at #3. If they did it anyway, I would put him in my signature.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Great read.  Assuming we have the choice between Rosen and Mayfield I'd still probably lean Rosen but I feel really good about should the cards fall Darnold and Rosen 1/2 that taking Mayfield over Allen is best.  I'd be really happy with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield so it's comforting knowing that 1 is going to be there.  I just hope the Jets feel the same way and don't have Allen in the mix.

100% agree, if we leave this draft with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield it's a success. hopefully a long-term success. Allen is way too scary for jets fans to handle

Archived