Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

I tell you. I think most Jets fans will be happy with whoever we draft. But if we draft Allen, and he launches a ball 50 yards and it misses his target by 5 yards, half the fan base will be screaming on social media. If Baker gets drafted and does something deemed unprofessional, Jets fans are going let him have it. This fan base is on the brink. Whoever gets drafted better be an all-pro, otherwise heads are going roll. 

17 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Do you know for sure?  You never know.

Draft advisory board advised Lock to return, so pretty confident on him.  Most pegged Finley as a day 2 guy.  He could have rose, but not sure he would've been close to being in the top pick conversation.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Draft advisory board advised Lock to return, so pretty confident on him.  Most pegged Finley as a day 2 guy.  He could have rose, but not sure he would've been close to being in the top pick conversation.

DAB valued Vernon Gholston a 3rd round. He went top 5.

dW7GR.gif

31 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23043558/sam-darnold-switches-flight-throw-ronald-jones-ii

I call this BS.  There is no reason for Darnold to continue touring around the states after Cleveland. It is an easy call.

This guy says and does all the right things. 

Guy is walking out of John Dorsey's office. Dorsey ask "What are you doing tonight?". Sam " I need to fly to LA to throw for my teammate". Dorsey walks up to Jimmy's office, "Sam is our guy".

6 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I would not be thrilled with Mayfield at all. I think that he's a fit on the field, but a disaster waiting to happen off it. I also think he benefitted tremendously from scheme/talent at Oklahoma as well as conference play. He's 23 years old with limited athletic skill set. I stand by my comparison of Dak Prescott with a slightly stronger arm.

I’ve been saying this for a while, and I think it’s spot on.

4 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I’ve been saying this for a while, and I think it’s spot on.

So if Mayfield becomes Dak with a stronger arm, you wouldn't be happy?

I think it's a good comparison. They are pretty similar athletically. Both take care of the ball and are accurate (Mayfield probably does both of these better). Dak is built stronger though. But Mayfield is probably better QB at the point in their careers. Both were on the older side going into the draft.

I don't think Dak is a finished product though. He took a step back last year, but I think he'll continue to get better.

What do all you young jets fans say " chill out" we still have 26 days till the draft lets stop picking apart all of the QB's in the draft. Let just be happy we are going to get one of the three best QB's in the draft. Mac stuck his neck out moving up to # 3 and giving away all those second round picks, so lets root for Mac to get the right guy. I have been the most critical guy on this board about Mac, but I support him 100% on his move to get us a QB.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

So if Mayfield becomes Dak with a stronger arm, you wouldn't be happy?

I think it's a good comparison. They are pretty similar athletically. Both take care of the ball and are accurate (Mayfield probably does both of these better). Dak is built stronger though. But Mayfield is probably better QB at the point in their careers. Both were on the older side going into the draft.

I don't think Dak is a finished product though. He took a step back last year, but I think he'll continue to get better.

No I wouldn’t be happy. Bc you take that OLine away and Elliott (we don’t have a Rb even close to as good as Elliott or an OLine like Dallas). And Dak might not even be starting.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No I wouldn’t be happy. Bc you take that OLine away and Elliott (we don’t have a Rb even close to as good as Elliott or an OLine like Dallas). And Dak might not even be starting.

I mean he doesn’t have much to work with outside Jason Witten and the remains of Dez Bryant.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But most young QB's need that type of support to do well. I can't think of a young QB that came in and did well without a strong supporting cast.

Look at Matt Ryan. He had a lot offensive talent around him early and Dak's first two years were comparable to Ryan's. It's a bit unfair because Dak is only through the first two years of his career. Unfortunately, we won't have the luxury to see what Dak will become in 3 years. But I think Dak is an ascending player. 

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

But most young QB's need that type of support to do well. I can't think of a young QB that came in and did well without a strong supporting cast.

Look at Matt Ryan. He had a lot offensive talent around him early and Dak's first two years were comparable to Ryan's. It's a bit unfair because Dak is only through the first two years of his career. Unfortunately, we won't have the luxury to see what Dak will become in 3 years. But I think Dak is an ascending player. 

I stated several times that we should build our team the way Dallas did. So I'm all for the what they did it. Making the OLine elite and getting a star RB (although they should have drafted Ramsey instead of Elliott bc you can put most RBs behind that line and they will look stars). But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about the skill set of Dak. And he isn't anything great. He's in a situation that that makes the game easier for him bc of his OL and RB. He has bigger lanes to throw in bc teams are loading up the box to stop the running game. We don't have that and we wont with Mayfield. I agree very much that Mayfield has similar traits to that of Dak but Mayfield lacks size to go along with it.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I stated several times that we should build our team the way Dallas did. So I'm all for the what they did it. Making the OLine elite and getting a star RB (although they should have drafted Ramsey instead of Elliott bc you can put most RBs behind that line and they will look stars). But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about the skill set of Dak. And he isn't anything great. He's in a situation that that makes the game easier for him bc of his OL and RB. He has bigger lanes to throw in bc teams are loading up the box to stop the running game. We don't have that and we wont with Mayfield. I agree very much that Mayfield has similar traits to that of Dak but Mayfield lacks size to go along with it.

But you have to give it time. I'm sure most didn't predict Russell Wilson would become the player he is today. Early in his career, Seattle relied heavily on the run game. In time, he became a top 10 QB. It's a bit of a difficult debate because we don't know what Dak will become. So, he can ascend like Wilson did. Or he can stay where he is. We don't know yet. 

I agree with building the team like Dallas. Dallas has recently spent 3 first round picks on that O-Line. We have to go back to Mangold and DBrick, who are retired, to get the last Jet OLineman who was drafted in the first round. 

Man we have reached the crazy season.  We have all had way to much time to pick apart these guys.  

Anyone against Rosen, I think the complaints about him are WAY overblown.  I think his real mistake from a publicity standpoint was mentioning his political beliefs and doing so in a crass way, not that I care.  But it got people talking about him as a person and looking for little things.  I think he is probably a good kid, who can rub some people the wrong way.... that sounds like about half the good QB's in the league.  As far as on the field, he can make all the throws and his mechanics are great.  He does randomly miss bad every now and again but who doesn't, he throws a great ball most of the time.  He does lack some athleticism, and while his combine numbers are not a ton different than Bakers, Baker just moves way way better on the field.  I think Rosen is going to do well against blitzes that he sees and has time to plan ahead for, and at least initially he will do poorly on pressure that catches him off guard.  He is the best QB in the draft when playing in the structure of then play.  He gets the ball out on time more than anyone else, and is always throwing when he hits his break.  He isn't the best at ad libbing out of all of these guys but I think he is better than he gets credit for.  All in all who couldn't be happy with this kid?  We are the Jets we rarely get nice things, don't complain about it.

Anyone against Baker is putting way to much stock into 1 arrest and some on field fluff which happens all the time in the NFL and is overlooked often.  I know guys who have crazy high end jobs where they are extremely responsible and I have crazy stories about the things they did drunk.  This kid basically got PCed and then slow mo ran away.... whoopie.  That is nothing for a college student, and if it wasn't on tape it would be about 1/100th of a deal.  Look at Mixon vs all the other players who have been accused of some sort of DV in college.  Mixon's was watchable though, and therefore got way more play.  As far as the on the field stuff it might not be everyone's cup of tea (I love it), but it is rarely ever going to be an actual problem.  I also don't see him as a "me" guy, there are tons of video's of his guys scoring and him running over to them and taking their helmet to carry it back to the bench for them.  His teammates love him and that is all i care about.  As far as on the field he can make all the throws and he also has pretty good mechanics most of the time.  No he's not tall, but i don't see that as much of a problem.  He throws from a very high platform which helps him not get balls batted.  In fact I watched all of his games to see if he was having problems with balls getting batted down and he just wasn't.  I never charted it but it seemed like he had the least balls batted down of any of these guys.  No his hands aren't gigantic, but he was the only one of the QB's on here who lost 0 fumbles.  He was throwing over some huge O linemen and seemed to have no problem constantly finding open players.  Some people complain that his O line was great and made him look good... fair enough, though he was by far the best QB when under pressure which kind of controls for how good the O line was since it assumes that they messed up.  The presumptive 1st overall pick.... Mr. Perfect Sam Darnold had 21 turnovers just last year..... Baker had 21 turnovers in HIS ENTIRE TIME AT OU.... THAT IS 3 FULL YEARS.  We as Jets fans should know how important it is to take care off the ball after living through Sanchez, Geno, and 2nd year Fitz.  All in all who couldn't be happy with this kid?  We are the Jets and we rarely get nice things, don't complain about it.

Archived