Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

You're not wrong based on the interview with Pettine.

Pettine said he can run his defense with (2) mirror images at OLB or with 1 DE-type and 1 OLB type. Perry would seem to fit the DE-type role with the ability to put his hand in the dirt and mimic a 4-3 DE. Either way, Perry is gonna mostly be going forward - not dropping into coverage. 

It might actually be a better fit for Chris Odom too ( 6'4   265) , he seems more of a 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB based on body type and lack of agility- and that's what ATL wanted him for when they signed him as a UDFA last year

What I'm most excited about is Pettine's scheme flexibility. I hope Kenny/Mike/Wilk can all stay fresh when we're rotating them in with Lowry (ew) and hopefully Montravius.

37 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

What I'm most excited about is Pettine's scheme flexibility. I hope Kenny/Mike/Wilk can all stay fresh when we're rotating them in with Lowry (ew) and hopefully Montravius.

No need to put (ew) after Lowery. Lowery was having a pretty good preseason last year, then was hurt (knee injury IIRC) in the last preseason game. I think it affected his play for most of the year. I'm going bold and predicting that Lowery, if healthy, will be a fine rotational player in 2018. He and hopefully Adams will be fine backups with Looney on the PS. I have more concern about Adams coming off a foot injury.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:
2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

No need to put (ew) after Lowery. Lowery was having a pretty good preseason last year, then was hurt (knee injury IIRC) in the last preseason game. I think it affected his play for most of the year. I'm going bold and predicting that Lowery, if healthy, will be a fine rotational player in 2018. He and hopefully Adams will be fine backups with Looney on the PS. I have more concern about Adams coming off a foot injury.  

I'm not a big fan of Lowry, but to each his own

4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I dunno, watching Lowery dash into the end zone last year with that fumble/interception was pretty impressive. Hopefully he will be a solid backup. I wouldn't like him as much as a starter. I enjoy your posts, JBURGE25, keep 'em coming.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:
4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I dunno, watching Lowery dash into the end zone last year with that fumble/interception was pretty impressive. Hopefully he will be a solid backup. I wouldn't like him as much as a starter. I enjoy your posts, JBURGE25, keep 'em coming.

That was one play that Lowry made all year that stands out tbh

7 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

sacks( alibiet not many) don’t  stand out at all?

This was Lowry's only solo sack last year. Huge protection error and no one even tried to block him. It's a good outcome, but certainly not the most impressive play in the world. On one of his two half-sacks, he beat a tight end on a flea-flicker. So he got one half-sack where he actually beat a tackle to get to the QB.

It's not like there are alot of non-top-2 IDL that get tons of sacks. If you factor out the top-2 IDL on every team in terms of snaps, Lower is like top-10% in sacks & top-20% in pass rush productivity (which is a per- rush snap success rate) out of the 100+ remaining guys in the sample. and that goes up to top-5% in both metrics from weeks 9-17. Sure, he has some deficiencies in other areas and you'd 'like' to improve at #3 IDL, but I don't think he falls to the level of being a "hole". That being said, I have no problem w/ the Wilk signing pushing Lowry down the batting order. 

7 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

It's not like there are alot of non-top-2 IDL that get tons of sacks. If you factor out the top-2 IDL on every team in terms of snaps, Lower is like top-10% in sacks & top-20% in pass rush productivity (which is a per- rush snap success rate) out of the 100+ remaining guys in the sample. and that goes up to top-5% in both metrics from weeks 9-17. Sure, he has some deficiencies in other areas and you'd 'like' to improve at #3 IDL, but I don't think he falls to the level of being a "hole". That being said, I have no problem w/ the Wilk signing pushing Lowry down the batting order. 

Weeks 9-17 were probably when Lowry was returned to full health from his preseason knee injury. I am fine with him as a rotational backup type. The TD he scored demonstrated some pretty good straight line speed for a big guy. If we can get anything out of Adams, DL looks good!

23 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

You're not wrong based on the interview with Pettine.

Pettine said he can run his defense with (2) mirror images at OLB or with 1 DE-type and 1 OLB type. Perry would seem to fit the DE-type role with the ability to put his hand in the dirt and mimic a 4-3 DE. Either way, Perry is gonna mostly be going forward - not dropping into coverage. 

It might actually be a better fit for Chris Odom too ( 6'4   265) , he seems more of a 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB based on body type and lack of agility- and that's what ATL wanted him for when they signed him as a UDFA last year

So...we're in agreement they're essentially running a 4-3 under, right?

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

I'm not, only when we spell our own players names wrong

99% sure you were one of the people who piled it on when I had a miniature meltdown for people calling Clinton-Dix just Dix. 

Archived