Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

Interior pressure seems to be the new exterior pressure in the NFL these days.  Don't really see why considering most quarterbacks can easily escape that interior pressure.  We must be anticipating two matchups with the Patriots this year. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Interior pressure seems to be the new exterior pressure in the NFL these days.  Don't really see why considering most quarterbacks can easily escape that interior pressure.  We must be anticipating two matchups with the Patriots this year. 

Did you listen to Pettine explain why he values interior pressure? EDGE is easier to avoid because the QB can step up in the pocket to avoid it with a lack of interior pressure.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Eh outside pressure you have to step up in the pocket for the most part. 

1. Its still natural and easy to throw stepping up

2. You still can see the whole field 

3. Stepping up still allows you to see pass rushers coming from the interior and time to escape

4. Generally rush yourself out of making a play on the run

Interior pressure you have to go backwards, take a 5 or seven step drop, or go to the outside.

1. Throwing off of the back foot in the NFL is hard to downright terrible decision

2. Cuts the field in half if they leave the pocket 

3. Leaves no chance of stepping into a throw

4. QB still cannot see outside pass rush so it is extremely helpful to OLBs

5. Can catch the RB for a loss on run plays

I would much rather have both in tandem but if I had to pick it would be an easy choice. 

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

Did you listen to Pettine explain why he values interior pressure? EDGE is easier to avoid because the QB can step up in the pocket to avoid it with a lack of interior pressure.

I'm listening now. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Interior pressure means a QB can't step up. Their lanes of vision are blocked, and if they want to escape the pocked, they have to take their eyes off the field to get around to that D gap. It's generally more disruptive than pure edge pressure, where you can step up to the B gap and keep your eyes downfield to either run or pass. It's also significantly harder to consistently generate, so I'd doubt the plan is "replace edge rush with interior rush". If it is, it's a bad plan.

Just now, Cakeshoppe said:

It's also significantly harder to consistently generate, so I'd doubt the plan is "replace edge rush with interior rush". If it is, it's a bad plan.

That's kinda what I'm getting at.  With the Wilkerson signing, it kidna seems we put a higher emphasis on the interior pass rush than edge.  We've added nothing to our edge rushers. 

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's kinda what I'm getting at.  With the Wilkerson signing, it kidna seems we put a higher emphasis on the interior pass rush than edge.  We've added nothing to our edge rushers. 

We added CBs that can hopefully cover long enough for the EDGE's to get home. ;)

Listen to Montgomery expand on it: https://www.packers.com/video/jerry-montgomery-wilkerson-brings-experience-to-d-line

I don't think they're saying EDGE isn't important. They obviously know it is. Shoot, the depth may not be great but you'd got two 1 roudners starting at EDGE, they obviously find it important.

From Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/01/packers-secondary-coach-talks-jaire-alexander-int-tramon-williams-impact/

On secondary coach Jason Simmons’ impression working with Mike Pettine’s scheme: 

“The biggest thing we want to make sure that the guys are playing fast. That they understand the scheme. We want to make sure that we take the thinking out of it, that we try to handle that upstairs as a staff so when we present it to (the players) it’s simplified. Now they can just go out and they don’t have to think, which will make them play faster.”

All DCs want their guys to play fast, but that was one of the main tenets of the Seattle D for years. Pettine spent last season working with them. Just more emphasis on getting these guys mentally comfortable in the D very quickly. Tramon and Big Mo are helping in that regard too, having played for Pettine before

On 6/1/2018 at 10:04 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

But Matthews and Perry are very good.  We won a Super Bowl with a better Clay Matthews and a hot pile of garbage on the other side, Zombo, Jones and Walden.  Our unit is better now in my opinion.  But we also had an unbelievable secondary back then.

12 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

But Matthews and Perry are very good.  We won a Super Bowl with a better Clay Matthews and a hot pile of garbage on the other side, Zombo, Jones and Walden.  Our unit is better now in my opinion.  But we also had an unbelievable secondary back then.

I think this is a very good point, and often forgotten in the emphasis on edge rushers.  Eric Walden was a street free agent when he was signed late in October, but was the defensive player of the week 2 weeks later- not because he was a previously undiscovered superstar, but because the rest of the defense played so well that it created opportunities for him.

I can't help but think that we will play a lot of 4-3 under with Clark as the 1 technique, Daniels as the 3, and Wilkerson as the 5.  Perry will be the open side rush backer.  Matthews can play any of the 4 linebacker spots and can be moved around.  In this set, the interplay of the closed side backer and the 5 technique creates a need for a different skill set than what a Capers style 3-4 needed, and a guy like Fackrell and his ability to play in space now becomes a viable entity on that side, and Wilkerson becomes the sought after help for the pass rush.  If however, you put Matthews as the closed side backer combined with Wilkerson next to him, I would think that front will be hard for offenses to block as they can overload either side without tipping their hand and still play the run aggressively.

This front puts 5 players in position to rush from the standard set, and allows the defense to disguise who the 4 rushers will be even without advertising a blitz, something that Capers lost with his need to play the 2-4-5 sub package all the time.  The sub packages can then sub at the 2 ILB positions and preserve the strength of the front.

If the secondary can hold up their end, which may be subject to growing pains with the young players, I think this defense could be very good.

Archived