Cap room

LoganF89

I’m taking a wait and see approach to this off-season. So far it’s been pretty good ( of course you have to forget and get over the KC debacle) as we haven’t overpaid but also we haven’t really gotten any players that make us better either. In years past we’d over pay for declining stars. So it’s. Nott as bad as it was. On the other hand we haven’t signed anybody that will get us 1 more win either. We are rolling to be Abe Pollins Redskins- 7-9 to 8-8. Being 8-8 is worse than being 4-12 because you are stuck in no mans land. 

16 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I’m taking a wait and see approach to this off-season. So far it’s been pretty good ( of course you have to forget and get over the KC debacle) as we haven’t overpaid but also we haven’t really gotten any players that make us better either. In years past we’d over pay for declining stars. So it’s. Nott as bad as it was. On the other hand we haven’t signed anybody that will get us 1 more win either. We are rolling to be Abe Pollins Redskins- 7-9 to 8-8. Being 8-8 is worse than being 4-12 because you are stuck in no mans land. 

200w.webp

20 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

This has been my argument for the last couple seasons. Never been more apparent than this one. The Smith trade proves it. Stuck in 7-9 perpetuity. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

This has been my argument for the last couple seasons. Never been more apparent than this one. The Smith trade proves it. Stuck in 7-9 perpetuity. 

o95xaX4.gif

The roller is the inevitable 8-8 season.  The cop is Bruce Allen.  He could have moved out of the way but he didn't.  

Su'a-Filo, Boone, Fluker, Fulton ...

All have their positives and negatives.

Unless I missed them, there are zero rumors linking any of them to the Redskins.

[EDIT: Fluker signed with Seattle a few days ago; missed that]

I think the Redskins are waiting until the draft to address the OG position and if they don’t get someone they want in the draft then they’ll sign someone after the draft to compete with their young guys. If not, they’ll throw Nsekhe into the mix.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think the Redskins are waiting until the draft to address the OG position and if they don’t get someone they want in the draft then they’ll sign someone after the draft to compete with their young guys. If not, they’ll throw Nsekhe into the mix.

Or Franklin. Still, it's a reactive strategy and that's a dangerous "plan" to roll with.

Don’t think I’ve seen this article posted yet: comparing the contracts that Cousins and Smith got. The interesting part, to me at least, is the breakdown in the cap hits by year. 

(Smith || Cousins)

2018:  18.4M ||  24M

2019:  20.4M ||  29M

2020:  21.4M ||  31M

There’s been a lot of discussion about how they did this deal to save money and don’t  really seem to be spending it this year. I thought it was interesting that the way it breaks down, the savings are actually more substantial in the next two offseasons. 

Speaks to the real possibility that this trade actually was intended to keep money available for retaining future FAs moreso than for bringing in other teams’ FAs. Freeing up more money in those seasons will make it much more workable for us to do extensions with Scherff and Crowder and the gang. 

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Don’t think I’ve seen this article posted yet: comparing the contracts that Cousins and Smith got. The interesting part, to me at least, is the breakdown in the cap hits by year. 

(Smith || Cousins)

2018:  18.4M ||  24M

2019:  20.4M ||  29M

2020:  21.4M ||  31M

There’s been a lot of discussion about how they did this deal to save money and don’t  really seem to be spending it this year. I thought it was interesting that the way it breaks down, the savings are actually more substantial in the next two offseasons. 

Speaks to the real possibility that this trade actually was intended to keep money available for retaining future FAs moreso than for bringing in other teams’ FAs. Freeing up more money in those seasons will make it much more workable for us to do extensions with Scherff and Crowder and the gang. 

Saving money at QB is only going to be worth it if Smith performs at a level that Cousins could have over the next 3-4 years.  

I'll state this again, we could have saved way more money than that going with a rookie QB over the same time period.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Saving money at QB is only going to be worth it if Smith performs at a level that Cousins could have over the next 3-4 years.  

I'll state this again, we could have saved way more money than that going with a rookie QB over the same time period.

What rookie QB? Lamar Jackson? Mason Rudolph? Some 5th round kid from Richmond or Western Kentucky? Seems to me they correctly read the tea leaves and realized that they weren’t getting one of even the top FOUR rookies at #13.

They could have saved even more money by going with you or me at QB, but the bottom line is they weren’t ready to give up on this group and blow the whole thing up yet — so that mostly took the rookie option off the table.  

As for the part about Smith performing as Cousins has, we’ve beaten that to death. I did think it was interesting seeing Jay Gruden come out and say he thinks it’s an improvement. Would normally assume that it was just coach-speak, but given the way his brother absolutely gushed about Smith every time he did one of his games — I think it’s quite probably genuine. There might only be 5-10 human beings on earth that I’d trust more than the Gruden brothers when it comes to QB play and coaching QBs, so that carries some weight with me. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The real test will be when they offer these extensions. If it happens this summer, then okay, they used the cap room on guys they felt needed to be kept long term (and would show some semblance of planning). If they wait until next winter, then the "savings" next year was pointless as they could roll up the room from this year into handling next year.

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

What rookie QB? Lamar Jackson? Mason Rudolph? Some 5th round kid from Richmond or Western Kentucky? Seems to me they correctly read the tea leaves and realized that they weren’t getting one of even the top FOUR rookies at #13.

Package 13, our 3rd round pick and Kendall Fuller, boom you're in the top 10.  

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

They could have saved even more money by going with you or me at QB, but the bottom line is they weren’t ready to give up on this group and blow the whole thing up yet — so that mostly took the rookie option off the table.  

I get that, but then why did we let a lot of our homegrown depth just leave, and why not be more aggressive in free agency?  The Alex Smith was a win now move, everything else we've done has been a win in a few years move.  When they do stuff like this it just reinforces in my mind that the FO has no long term strategy.  

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

As for the part about Smith performing as Cousins has, we’ve beaten that to death. I did think it was interesting seeing Jay Gruden come out and say he thinks it’s an improvement. Would normally assume that it was just coach-speak, but given the way his brother absolutely gushed about Smith every time he did one of his games — I think it’s quite probably genuine. There might only be 5-10 human beings on earth that I’d trust more than the Gruden brothers when it comes to QB play and coaching QBs, so that carries some weight with me. 

I don't really know what else the coach is supposed to say about his new starting QB?  I mean he isn't going to bash the guy.  

Archived