Breshad Perriman: Can he be a productive WR or should he just be cut?

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, paraven said:

nah, theres not enough space on the field for a crabtree and a dez bryant to coexist, that ship has sailed IMO

I think there could be. Either way, if he becomes available via being released. The conversation will be had. I'd still rather have Mike Wallace back before Hurns. 

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

He had that shot this past year, free of injury, and did literally nothing. 

Granted. Prior to this year he had somewhat of a breakout. His cap number is nothing. He stays this year and if he doesn't make the plays he becomes a healthy scratch again. Better than seeing him out in a system with a good team  watching him tear it up. 

35 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Granted. Prior to this year he had somewhat of a breakout. His cap number is nothing. He stays this year and if he doesn't make the plays he becomes a healthy scratch again. Better than seeing him out in a system with a good team  watching him tear it up. 

If he goes to another system with another team and does good, it's just another indication that this coaching staff (particularly with WR's) is garbage - nothing more. We've seen what he can do in this system and it's literally nothing. I'd rather give White and Quincy a shot.

It shouldn't really matter if Perriman is on the roster or not. Because if the FO do their jobs properly, he'll be the 6th WR and never see the field. He offers nothing, and I'd rather see his semi-impressive 'rookie' season as an aberration. He was so bad last year, looked like a guy who didn't even know how to play football.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

Whether you like it or not, I guarantee you Perriman will be on the roster over Adeboyjo/White.

He could still implode completely or get injured. If they are looking at him as the 4-5 best receiver on the roster, he could be gone due to not playing special teams.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

If he goes to another system with another team and does good, it's just another indication that this coaching staff (particularly with WR's) is garbage - nothing more. We've seen what he can do in this system and it's literally nothing. I'd rather give White and Quincy a shot.

Just like the O's and starting pitching...

7 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

This is an overreaction. We have two sample sizes to work with. One was average coming off a season ending injury the previous season and the other was where he came off hamstring issues all throughout training camp.

Coming out of the draft I thought Perriman reminded me of Roddy White; whom also struggled his first two seasons in the league as well (I know technically this was Perriman’s third, but essentially he redshirted.) Those first two seasons looked similar to Perrimans “rookie” season. Pretty identical. 

White:

Rookie- 29/446/3/42%

Soph- 30/506/0/46%

Perriman:

Rookie- 33/499/3/50%

Soph- 10/77/0/29%

Now, with how unsuccessful we’ve been at developing and drafting receivers, I won’t argue that I have an infinite amount of hope for Perriman. However, it usually takes a rookie receiver a year or two to get going, so whoever we draft will likely need time before they get going. We picked up an injury prone receiver in John Brown that could easily miss a few games. Beyond that we have a few other unproven options. Chris Moore last season flashed nothing more than Perriman did in his rookie campaign IMO.

In terms of his extremely down sophomore campaign, one could make an argument that his hamstring hindered his development mightily. What’s more, Joe Flacco having an injured back for over half the season limited his ability to push the ball downfield, which likely also played a part in Perriman failing. He’s a pure speed guy at this point and couldn’t at least develop confidence by executing his strengths. He also just plainly sucked.

In 2016, Perriman had 11.5% of the passing production. In 2017, Perriman had 2.4%, Flacco had by far his lowest pass average number of his career. It stands to reason that a raw speed threat like Perriman that hasn’t been able to develop, would experience the worst of the draw.

Going into this season, Perriman absolutely could prove that pushing the ball downfield, would fit his style of play much more and allow him to put up bigger offensive production. We have nothing to lose. If he were to crap the bed, he’s a free agent next year. IF he explodes and does and excellent job, then we have the 5th year option that we can give him.

Lastly, Perriman had his best season when we had the strong veteran presence of Steve smith leading the receiver unit. Last year their was no truly strong veteran like Smith. One could argue that Crabtree, while not Smith, is a top notch veteran that will actually lead the unit. That type of presence and assistance for Perriman could donhom wonders, like in his rookie season.

I think it’s still too early to write Perriman off. If he’s still garbage after the first quarter of the season, then it could make sense to look to trade him or bench him.

More power to you if you think he's salvageable, but I just completely disagree and I certainly don't think four more games will tell us anything we don't already know. We just got a look at him through a full healthy season with little competition in his way and he completely disappointed. That's about the best circumstances he could've asked for to change the path of his career.

I think Perriman gets to camp. Whether he makes it through it... eh. Crabtree, Brown, and Moore are the only locks to make the roster so far. However, if the Ravens draft someone fairly high then special teams plays a factor for the other two, maybe three, roster spots at that position. Moore will still be utilized there but as the (probable) 4th receiver he should be.

Yes, I'm still on the Tim White bandwagon. I absolutely think he should be the returner next season with potential to have a niche use on offense. Like a better Campanaro. 

Archived