Marty Schottenheimer vs Andy Reid

Forge

Marty Schottenheimer or Andy Reid  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Marty Schottenheimer or Andy Reid

• Marty
    • Andy

We always do player vs player comparisons, so I thought this may be a fun one for probably the two biggest bridesmaid coaches over the last 30 years. 

Marty Schottenheimer

Head coach 21 years. Regular season record: 200 - 126 -1 (.613)

Playoff record (eek): 5-13. 

I feel like Marty's specialty was more or less taking average or below average teams and getting them good enough to be contenders and make the playoffs, though obviously never make it through the playoffs (well, outside of that one random year in Washington). In all of his other stops, he took teams that were average or below average and made them pretty consistent playoff contenders and good teams. 

Andy Reid

Head Coach 18 years (and counting). Regular season record: 173-114-1 (.602)

Playoff record: 11-12. 

Reid has had some success at both of his stops, though like Schottenheimer, still lacks that elusive prize. He's had more success in the playoffs than Marty did, and pretty consistently had both of his teams be successful in the regular season. He's got some questionable clock management skills, but his prep work is well regarded as noted by his bye week record. 

I think they're about as equal as you can get. Reid has some more obvious flaws than Schottenheimer did, but he also had a better peak in terms of playoff performances. So as a fan who has had both head coach the Chiefs in my lifetime, I think it's basically a push, and I honestly think that both get underrated due to the playoff stigma. You have to be pretty damn good to make the playoffs enough to be considered unsuccessful in the playoffs.

Personally, I'd go with Schottenheimer. 

Those Chargers teams during the mid-2000s were pretty dangerous, and had it not been for a Marlon McCree fumble I think they would have went on to beat the Patriots and most likely would have won the Super Bowl in 2006. 

4 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Those Chargers teams during the mid-2000s were pretty dangerous, and had it not been for a Marlon McCree fumble I think they would have went on to beat the Patriots and most likely would have won the Super Bowl in 2006. 

I believe that he was also the Browns coach the year of the Byner fumble and Elways drive, so there was definitely some bad luck there.

I'm going with Schottenheimer. When you look at his track record, he won in so many different places with franchises that weren't normally successful. His nepotism was a problem, but the man was still a winner.

On 8/5/2017 at 11:34 AM, Desperado82 said:

1) Those Eagles teams during the early-to-mid-2000s were pretty dangerous.

2) The Eagles were in the 2004-2005 SB, no hypothetical needed.

3) What makes you say that a win would have been likely for the Chargers in 2006?  

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, Desperado82 said:

Don't forget Schottenheimer went for it on 4th and 11 in that game instead of taking a 49 yard field goal with his all pro kicker.

Both coaches have the capability to coach, but against a vastly superior Chargers team, Pats fans felt like they had a good chance just due to his terrible coaching.

He ran LT like a bajillion times on 1st and 10 and never said "Time for a play action pass".

Archived