2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

If Mac doesn't get Cousins and he doesn't snag a QB in the 1st, he might not make it to the regular season.

I’m not disagreeing. But I am saying that it isn’t far fetched for us to pass on a QB. If he doesn’t think the value is there... he won’t pick a guy. For all we know he thinks all 5 QBs are top 5 pick worthy. Or he only thinks a guy or 2 is worth a pick that high. We have no clue. But I don’t see him with a scouting background to just pick a player at a position to pick them. He has to think they’re deserving of the spot.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not disagreeing. But I am saying that it isn’t far fetched for us to pass on a QB. If he doesn’t think the value is there... he won’t pick a guy. For all we know he thinks all 5 QBs are top 5 pick worthy. Or he only thinks a guy or 2 is worth a pick that high. We have no clue. But I don’t see him with a scouting background to just pick a player at a position to pick them. He has to think they’re deserving of the spot.

Personally, I think if he goes into the year next year with McCown and he doesn't snag one of the top 5 QB's in the 1st, I think he knows he's gone.  Even if he's reaching in his mind, I think he finds a way to snag one of them; even if he has to trade down to take Lamar.  My hope though is that Allen goes top 2 because I'm worried that he'd be the guy that we'd trade up for.

Digging deeper on Darnold and I don’t think he’s as much of a risk as I originally thought. His turnover numbers are alarming, I won’t pish that to the side. But he does produce TDs with those turnovers. But what I will say about his INTs are that it appears he throws them when he is trying to do too much. The last 6 games of the year he settled down this last season and his turnover rate dropped significantly bc of that. He certainly is still a huge risk, but maybe not as much as I originally thought.

5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Just because Maccagnan isn't high on RB doesn't mean he made mistakes by passing over Cook, Kamara and whoever.

As for 6th overall pick, it is hard to figure out as Cousins certainly isn't going to take Jimmy G's contract with either Browns or Jets. The defensive side may be very common for Jets when it comes to value. That means Minkah Fitzpatrick could edge over Quenton Nelson and Saquon Barkley if all were available at 6th. Bradley Chubb's availability would make it easier for Jets.

If Jets failed to get qb via trade or FA then Jets would make a trade for either Sam Darnold or Josh Allen. No doubt about that.

After that, Josh Rosen may be the worst availability in any situations Jets would get, which is still a solid option.

Unless Jets get the nail on the head in qb, Jets will need more prospects to shoot up in the draftboard for a better bargain. Outside DT, please.

I think Minkah is a heck of a player, but we would basically HAVE to see him as an elite CB to take him over Nelson.  Nelson is an elite OG as it stands, and reading of Minkah as an elite CB is merely a projection by whatever team takes him for that role.

3 hours ago, rampantjet said:

I think Minkah is a heck of a player, but we would basically HAVE to see him as an elite CB to take him over Nelson.  Nelson is an elite OG as it stands, and reading of Minkah as an elite CB is merely a projection by whatever team takes him for that role.

Yeah.. Also, Jets already invested high picks in S in the previous draft and it would be terribly messed up if Fitzpatrick could not play CB right.  I can see Jets count on Fitzpatrick for slot coverage but Gronkowski has been mulling a retirement to be next Arnold Schwarzenegger.  High Risk, high Questionable Strategy. umm

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Digging deeper on Darnold and I don’t think he’s as much of a risk as I originally thought. His turnover numbers are alarming, I won’t pish that to the side. But he does produce TDs with those turnovers. But what I will say about his INTs are that it appears he throws them when he is trying to do too much. The last 6 games of the year he settled down this last season and his turnover rate dropped significantly bc of that. He certainly is still a huge risk, but maybe not as much as I originally thought.

Darnold had 9 picks in the first 6 games, but only 4 over the final 8 games.  I think it took him some time to adjust to having less offensive talent around him.  I'd say about half of his picks in the first 6 games were... and this sounds weird to say about picks.... but they were nearly mind bogglingly good throws.  He did miss some underneath coverage at times, but I also feel like he was let down by his WR's fairly often.  It looks like he realized he couldn't count on them to make contested plays for him so he stopped taking as many chances.  I started out super high on Darnold and have been up and down since, but man.... the kid is a stud, and can just make things happen.

43 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Darnold had 9 picks in the first 6 games, but only 4 over the final 8 games.  I think it took him some time to adjust to having less offensive talent around him.  I'd say about half of his picks in the first 6 games were... and this sounds weird to say about picks.... but they were nearly mind bogglingly good throws.  He did miss some underneath coverage at times, but I also feel like he was let down by his WR's fairly often.  It looks like he realized he couldn't count on them to make contested plays for him so he stopped taking as many chances.  I started out super high on Darnold and have been up and down since, but man.... the kid is a stud, and can just make things happen.

His int is not a problem but his fumble is an issue. A million of scouts, GM and owners will pay heavily attention on Darnold's hand size to determine whether or not he has a serious problem with fumble.   Someone needs to rewatch his game for fumbles but I am sure he lost footballs by surprising attacks, thanking to weak OL.  Still, pay attention to that.

Just now, JetsandI said:

His int is not a problem but his fumble is an issue. A million of scouts, GM and owners will pay heavily attention on Darnold's hand size to determine whether or not he has a serious problem with fumble.   Someone needs to rewatch his game for fumbles but I am sure he lost footballs by surprising attacks, thanking to weak OL.  Still, pay attention to that.

This i will agree with.  I don't think his fumbles have anything to do with hand size, i think it is that it seems like he never knows when to put 2 hands on the ball.  You would think that would be an easy fix... just use 2 damn hands, but who knows.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

This i will agree with.  I don't think his fumbles have anything to do with hand size, i think it is that it seems like he never knows when to put 2 hands on the ball.  You would think that would be an easy fix... just use 2 damn hands, but who knows.

Yeah, negative statistic causes some panic in scouting circle.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with both you & the other folks on this subject " we have no clue" what Mac is going to do. Some way I think he will come up with a QB one way or another. There is no question he is in under tremendous pressure to get a QB. And that will affect our whole draft if he makes a drastic move like moving up in the draft order. Signing Cousins would be our best scenario but you all know my feeling on that, I just can't see that happening. The top five QB's in the draft who really knows who is going to be the best pro QB. My guess would be Rosen, big arm smart, and the  most pro ready, and best to handle the NY press, but should be gone in either the first or second pick. I still believe Plan B will not take affect till after the first two picks in the draft. I wish I know what Mac's Plan B is? What Mac does in the FA market is key if he can pickup the right players, it sure would help with the players we draft. Mac record with FA pickups had been excellent players like Marshall, Decker, Carpenter & Beachum. I am no so sure we should send Carpenter packing like most people want to do. The worst thing about the draft is we have to sit and wait and see what the first few to teams in the draft do and that sucks.

On 2/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, JetsandI said:

Yeah.. Also, Jets already invested high picks in S in the previous draft and it would be terribly messed up if Fitzpatrick could not play CB right.  I can see Jets count on Fitzpatrick for slot coverage but Gronkowski has been mulling a retirement to be next Arnold Schwarzenegger.  High Risk, high Questionable Strategy. umm

Plenty of teams have good TE's now so having a guy that could 1 on 1 eliminate a TE from an offense isn't the worst thing you could have.  Fitz would basically be the honey badger 3rd safety/slot CB.  He's a heck of a cover guy, great leader like Adams and plays the run like a LB.

I mean Fitz basically becomes the slot CB in our defense with Adams playing in the box as the hybrid SS/LB and Maye playing CF.  It would be weird drafting another safety type but there is a role for him on this defense with all three on the field.  I wouldn't value that position 6th pick worthy though but if he plays lockdown on slot WR's and TE's then maybe he wold be in Mac's eyes.

I think Edmunds has to be the pick at 6 if we land Cousins.  Guy is a monster already and has all pro written all over him.  He doesn't have a weakness to his game and is so scheme versatile.  I mean he can cover, play ILB and shed blocks with ease and rush off the edge like the best of them.  He has a higher upside then Chubb.

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Plenty of teams have good TE's now so having a guy that could 1 on 1 eliminate a TE from an offense isn't the worst thing you could have.  Fitz would basically be the honey badger 3rd safety/slot CB.  He's a heck of a cover guy, great leader like Adams and plays the run like a LB.

I mean Fitz basically becomes the slot CB in our defense with Adams playing in the box as the hybrid SS/LB and Maye playing CF.  It would be weird drafting another safety type but there is a role for him on this defense with all three on the field.  I wouldn't value that position 6th pick worthy though but if he plays lockdown on slot WR's and TE's then maybe he wold be in Mac's eyes.

I think Edmunds has to be the pick at 6 if we land Cousins.  Guy is a monster already and has all pro written all over him.  He doesn't have a weakness to his game and is so scheme versatile.  I mean he can cover, play ILB and shed blocks with ease and rush off the edge like the best of them.  He has a higher upside then Chubb.

My big board if we get Cousins is this.

1. Barkley

2. Chubb

3. Nelson

4. Edmunds

5. Ridley

If we get a OG drop Nelson behind Tidley and move everyone up a spot.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

My big board if we get Cousins is this.

1. Barkley

2. Chubb

3. Nelson

4. Edmunds

5. Ridley

If we get a OG drop Nelson behind Tidley and move everyone up a spot.

I'm more like this.  Assuming Cousins.

1. Chubb
2. Edmunds
3. Nelson (same stipulations as you if we land the OG in FA which I prefer)
4. Davenport
5. Barkley
6. Ward

Non Cousins board
1. Rosen
2. Mayfield
3. Darnold
4. Jackson
5. Trade down grab ad secure Falk in round 2.

Archived