2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

So Path to the Draft on Nfl Network did a 3 round mock for us. I didn’t love it.

Round 1: Ro Smith (wouldn’t mind depending on the board.)

Round 2: Arden Key ( would rather have a penetrating dt)

Round 3: James Washington ( this I would like)

Wouldn't be upset with Smith in Rd1 and I really like Washington, though he's no #1 I think he'll be a very good player. Arden key just screams bust to me though!

8 hours ago, reddevil said:

After Gruden's comments about OT being one of the biggest needs, what are people's opinions on the tackles in this draft? I've seen a few mocks with us picking up Mcglinchey. How do people feel about him at 10? I think that's a bit rich for him and as much as it would make some sense, with all the other impact players we could pick up at that point, I think I'd be a little disappointed if he was the pick.

Agreed, a little too rich for McGlinchy at #10 if guys like Vea, Ward, Hurst, Payne or James are available. Definitely think he's an option if we trade down a few spots though and get an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick. I do like him though and it seems certain he won't fall to our second round pick so I'd probably look for a player like Tyrell Crosby or Alex Cappa who seem to fit our new smash mouth identity more and can probably be had a round or two later. 

46 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

It’s not that bleak they had no O line at all. Plus Luck holds on to the ball forever with a lot of long developing routes 

Luck is also bigger and didn’t have the history of injuries.

The way I see it keeping Carr healthy is far more important then drafting an all pro Player.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

People need to remember what happened to Andrew Luck.

The Colts passed on O-line help and ruined a great young quarterback.

You are aware the Raiders have a terrific interior Oline right? They've invested in and have one of the better Olines in football. The tackles are serviceable at this point and their is no need to reach at 10 for OT. 

11 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Luck is also bigger and didn’t have the history of injuries.

The way I see it keeping Carr healthy is far more important then drafting an all pro Player.

So best case, draft a Jared Veldheer type at 10 overall instead of an all pro defensive player. Sure.... that makes sense lol. Glad you're not the GM.

Fact is, you can get a tackle in round 2-3 where there is value. Reaching at 10 is misguided. Why be desperate? There will be OT in later rounds who are not a huge step down in talent. 

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You are aware the Raiders have a terrific interior Oline right? They've invested in and have one of the better Olines in football. The tackles are serviceable at this point and their is no need to reach at 10 for OT. 

AFC West is stacked with outside pass rushers not pass rushing DTs. The OTs are going to face players  like Bosa, Ingram, Von Miller and Houston twice a year.

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So best case, draft a Jared Veldheer type at 10 overall instead of an all pro defensive player. Sure.... that makes sense lol. Glad you're not the GM.

Fact is, you can get a tackle in round 2-3 where there is value. Reaching at 10 is misguided. Why be desperate? There will be OT in later rounds who are not a huge step down in talent. 

I think McGlinchey is a safe bet to sure up one of the OTs spots.

Hopefully it’s LT but he can step right in at RT.

This is the same argument we had last year overJack Conklin.

and he was taking eighth overall by Tennessee.

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Both times Jon Gruden went to a new team this first pick was an OT.

Matt Stinchcomb with the Raiders.

Kenyatta Walker with Tampa Bay.

It just donned on me.... Gruden first season was 1998. They drafted Charles Woodson. And I think Mo Collins later in round 1. 

17 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

AFC West is stacked with outside pass rushers not pass rushing DTs. The OTs are going to face players  like Bosa, Ingram, Von Miller and Houston twice a year.

Again... not arguing against taking a tackle. There is just no sense in REACHING for one at 10 when there will without a doubt be better players available. Because unlike you.... I'm not passing up all-pro talent for a middle of the road OT. I can get an OT in round 2-4 and feel good about it.

27 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Again... not arguing against taking a tackle. There is just no sense in REACHING for one at 10 when there will without a doubt be better players available. Because unlike you.... I'm not passing up all-pro talent for a middle of the road OT. I can get an OT in round 2-4 and feel good about it.

To interject my opinion, I'm mostly in your corner on this. I don't think the difference in, say, McGlinchey and Jamarco Jones is vast enough to pass on a more impactful player for this draft. Barring a trade back, I would prefer to wait until the second night of the draft for an OT. Where I differ is that I would feel very uneasy if the team waits until the 4th, or even 3rd round, for one. If Crosby or Jones (or whoever the team rates highest) is there in the 2nd, I think it needs to be the choice. And I'd be completely OK with the team overreaching for one, disregarding BPA at that point. The position is too important.

47 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders need both an LT and a RT.

And that playoff loss to the Texans proves my point about a QB over a All-Pro LB.

Archived