2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Again... not arguing against taking a tackle. There is just no sense in REACHING for one at 10 when there will without a doubt be better players available. Because unlike you.... I'm not passing up all-pro talent for a middle of the road OT. I can get an OT in round 2-4 and feel good about it.

I agree, a Tackle at 10 is a reach and value can be had later on in that area.  I have a feeling we go DT, DB or LB at 10.  That is where the value is at 10 in the first this year. 

The DB's that pose good value at 10 are Fitz, James and Ward.  LB Smith and Edmunds. DT Via and Payne.  That is all contingent on the expected happening but if for some reason Chubb or Barkley slip they should be the pick.  I am really warming up to Ward at 10.  That would turn one of our biggest deficiencies over the last few years into an area of strength at a very low cost.  Melvin, Conley and Ward in the slot would be a very good combo.    

4 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The Raiders need both an LT and a RT.

And that playoff loss to the Texans proves my point about a QB over a All-Pro LB.

I'm not arguing the Raiders don't need an OT.  But they don't need to reach in desperation. I like McGlinchey.... but not at 10. He's not a top 10 talent. Trading down, sure. But with the run on QBs, the Raiders will have a top 5 talent likely fall to them. So reaching on a tackle wouldn't be prudent.

Again... you're saying reach for an OT. Why not just draft one in round 2?

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm not arguing the Raiders don't need an OT.  But they don't need to reach in desperation. I like McGlinchey.... but not at 10. He's not a top 10 talent. Trading down, sure. But with the run on QBs, the Raiders will have a top 5 talent likely fall to them. So reaching on a tackle wouldn't be prudent.

Again... you're saying reach for an OT. Why not just draft one in round 2?

I think McGlinchey will be gone at 16 so It’s not much of a reach in my opinion.

Because of the depth of the draft you can get a better prospect at  DE or LB in the second round then at OT.

What do we think of this mock?

Round 1 - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State - Day one starter at slot corner.

Round 2 - Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon - Day one starter at RT with a future at LT.

Round 3 - Tyquan Lewis, DL, Ohio State - Future base end with inside rush ability.

Round 4 - J'Mon Moore, WR, Missouri  - Competes for WR3 spot. Upside to replace Jordy.

Round 5 - Fred Warner, LB, BYU - Competes for WLB spot.

Round 5 - Bo Scarbough, RB, Alabama - Latavius Murray 2.0. Future starter potential.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Round 2 - Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon - Day one starter at RT with a future at LT.

Round 3 - Tyquan Lewis, DL, Ohio State - Future base end with inside rush ability.

Round 4 - J'Mon Moore, WR, Missouri  - Competes for WR3 spot. Upside to replace Jordy.

Round 5 - Bo Scarbough, RB, Alabama - Latavius Murray 2.0. Future starter potential.

Love it. Only slight question would be Lewis as I think with Edwards, Carridine and Ward we might be set for base end. I'd perhaps swap it for a DT or edge guy. Still be stoked if we ended up with a haul like that. 

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Love it. Only slight question would be Lewis as I think with Edwards, Carridine and Ward we might be set for base end. I'd perhaps swap it for a DT or edge guy. Still be stoked if we ended up with a haul like that. 

Edwards might move to 3T and has one year left. Carradine is on a 1 year deal. Ward shouldn't stop us from drafting anyone.

11 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think McGlinchey will be gone at 16 so It’s not much of a reach in my opinion.

Because of the depth of the draft you can get a better prospect at  DE or LB in the second round then at OT.

It is a reach, because of the talent that will be there at 10. Again... passing on a potential all-pro defensive player to reach for a RT would not be smart. 

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Good point. 

@oakdb36 explained the Tyquan Lewis pick well enough but I'll expand a bit on him as a prospect. Coming into the year, Lewis was the forgotten man in OSU's robust defensive line rotation. He and Jalyn Holmes alternated series on defense, but to me it was clear Lewis was the superior player both inside and outside. Lewis has the ability to effectively play on the end on run downs and has good enough bull rush and overall hand use to pressure the quarterback from that spot if need be, but I really like his ability on the inside in long downs. According to PFF, Lewis recorded 6 sacks, 8 hits, and 18 hurries on 247 snaps when lined up inside, making him good enough for 6th in the nation for their pass rush productivity metric on the inside (10.3). For comparison, USC's Rasheem Green (who played inside far more often than Lewis) recorded 8 sacks, 6 hurries, and 27 pressures on 375 interior snaps for an interior pass rush productivity score of 8.7.

How he wins is partially explained by his somewhat surprising athletic testing numbers. On the surface, Lewis looks like a stocky, unathletic player who uses polish and leverage to win. During the Senior Bowl, Lewis dispelled the idea of him lacking length by measuring in with nearly 34" arms. At the combine, Lewis showed impressive explosion numbers with a 35 1/2" vertical jump and a 122" broad jump. At his pro day, he continued to impress with a 40-time in the high 4.6s and improved upon his broad jump to around 128". Unfortunately, we won't get his agility numbers this offseason, which is where I still think he might be lacking as a pure edge player.

Still, Lewis is impressing more and more as draft season continues. I think a safe comp for him is Vinny Curry or Trey Flowers: a consistent starting presence on a team who's on field impact isn't matched by his production.

12 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I love Ward at 10.  The closer we get to draft day the more I think Ward needs to be the pick.  As for the rest of your mock I know we do need a RT but I dont know much about Crosby.  It all depends who else is on the board.  If any of the DT's slip (Hurst, Bryan, Via, Payne, Phillips) do we take an OT over them?

^^^ Thanks for the breakdown. He's one (of many) players who I just haven't looked at closely. Don't really know why. I think I've been too fixated on other positions as there aren't that many premier edge players in this draft.

Archived