Preston Smith

HTTRDynasty

4 hours ago, footy_29 said:

What are you watching? 
Seriously.

It's very bizarre that your player assessment is so incredibly off. It takes me a few minutes to stop shaking my head every time you bash him. 

I come off a bit harsh/critical naturally.....but straight up: I question your ability to judge talent.

It’s a slow time in Redskinsville so we all try to be provocative and fresh. I’m with McKinght on this old poorly presented blog post. Actually I’d support the following:

” who the heck is Matt Harmon. He’s never been a player, he’s never been a coach, he’s never been an administrator and all of a sudden he’s an expert. He has no more credentials to do what he’s doing then my neighbor, and he’s a postman. “

It's weird that people are acting like this is based off some random guy's opinion.  Like he has some secret desire to prop up Redskins players for some reason.

These stats are based on objective metrics.  This isn't PFF here, subjectively assigning grades to every play.  This is based on cold, hard numbers using some pretty cool, new technology.  The guy is seemingly credible enough that they allow him to post these stats on NFL.com, and plenty of other writers refer to these stats in other articles.  It's not like he's posting this stuff on his own site or some random blog post on Facebook.

If you look at the top 10 teams, in terms of total pressures, in that article, those are the same teams we see leading the league in pressures and sacks year after year, so why should we assume that it's some kind of flawed method?  The Redskins were top 7 in sacks last year.  You really think it's such a jump in logic to conclude we were a top 7 team in pressures as well?

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

It's weird that people are acting like this is based off some random guy's opinion.  Like he has some secret desire to prop up Redskins players for some reason.

These stats are based on objective metrics.  This isn't PFF here, subjectively assigning grades to every play.  This is based on cold, hard numbers using some pretty cool, new technology.  The guy is seemingly credible enough that they allow him to post these stats on NFL.com, and plenty of other writers refer to these stats in other articles.  It's not like he's posting this stuff on his own site or some random blog post on Facebook.

If you look at the top 10 teams, in terms of total pressures, in that article, those are the same teams we see leading the league in pressures and sacks year after year, so why should we assume that it's some kind of flawed method?  The Redskins were top 7 in sacks last year.  You really think it's such a jump in logic to conclude we were a top 7 team in pressures as well?

I thought this post was about Preston?  Any statistic that purports to classify him as the top pass rushing in the NFL just isn’t believable.

Remember that wisdom that any body can creativeky use a statistic that supports one’s position. I remember one more than a few years ago that was used to argue Luchensteiger and Chester were a top 5 Center/Guard tandem. Took a while to stop laughing at that one too

2 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I thought this post was about Preston?  Any statistic that purports to classify him as the top pass rushing in the NFL just isn’t believable.

Remember that wisdom that any body can creativeky use a statistic that supports one’s position. I remember one more than a few years ago that was used to argue Luchensteiger and Chester were a top 5 Center/Guard tandem. Took a while to stop laughing at that one too

No one is calling him the top pass rusher in the league though.  This is just an objective metric that shows he had the highest pressure rate per pass snap in the league last year.

36 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

No one is calling him the top pass rusher in the league though.  This is just an objective metric that shows he had the highest pressure rate per pass snap in the league last year.

No it’s showing he was within 3 feet of the QB, not that he made any impact on the play.  It’s based off of chips in their helmets. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No it’s showing he was within 3 feet of the QB, not that he made any impact on the play.  It’s based off of chips in their helmets. 

Have you tried to throw a football with someone 3 feet away trying to knock you to the ground?

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Have you tried to throw a football with someone 3 feet away trying to knock you to the ground?

No but I’m just trying to provide some context.  Stats are worthless without context.  I don’t define a pressure as a player within 3 feet of the QB, there has to be some kind of disruption made on the QB.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No but I’m just trying to provide some context.  Stats are worthless without context.  I don’t define a pressure as a player within 3 feet of the QB, there has to be some kind of disruption made on the QB.

I agree that might be better, but then, on the other hand, it becomes subjective (someone would have to determine whether a play was "disruptive" on a play-by-play basis, similar to PFF) and people would be complaining that the stat is worthless due to some fantasy football writer's subjectivity.

There are very few stats out there that are perfect.  I think when you take a sample size of over 300 snaps though, and you see that most of the other names (teams) on that list is filled with really good to great pass rushers, it should be obvious that Smith has been more disruptive to opposing QB's than the average fan thinks.  I honestly don't think the FO lets him leave in FA next year, especially after what I suspect will be a double-digit sack season this year if Allen stays healthy, similar to what DeMarcus Lawrence did last year.

Football Outsiders had us ranked first in pressure rate too:

When we get a chance to put together ALEX numbers on defenses for several seasons, I would like to see how it correlates with pressure rates. We mentioned Washington's stark improvement, and it probably isn't a coincidence that the Redskins ranked first in pressure rate (37.7 percent), according to Sports Info Solutions (subscription required). 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/alex/2018/alex-2017-season-review

The real key to any evaluation is the compilation of  data, if you are going to make the anlaytical argument. Considering this argument is being based on QB pressures, there needs to be an explicit definition of what a pressure is, and that needs to correlate to what % did that convert to QB sacks? 

Looking at how Smith plays, I can tell you that he is no in the top 30 of pass rushers in the league. Too much Orakpo for me. Numbers and playing style. If we were in need of a Edge rusher, I would absolutely love Harold Landry. 

Put me down as squarely on the fence. I don't think Smith is as good a pass rusher as this article indicates.

I do think Smith gets his sacks in garbage time. Kinda like Orakpo used to do. 

By garbage time, I mean he'll get sacks at times where its not as crucial. And in big games/moments, hes "invisible" (as @MKnight82 said. Some games he takes over and destroys offenses. And then he goes on a stretch of 3-5 games where I literally forget he's on the roster.

He's decent vs the run. And is a decent pass rusher. He's not elite yet or even great yet, but he could be. I think Gallette is a better pass rusher than Smith. But junior doesn't play the run as well. 

Now ... with all that said above, I'm in the camp of we have to extend him. I have a feeling that he's gonna pull it all together and blow up for like 12 sacks or something ridiculous. And at that point we will lose him in FA in 2019. If we sign him now, he's much cheaper.

Now, it's possible we could replace him with another LB in the 2019 draft, but I don't want to be filling holes with my picks. I want to be adding impact players to positions and letting them fight it out. So as long as he's not going to require too much to get an extension, I think we should pay him.

Archived