Jordan Reed has "procedure done on his toes"

Woz

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

Well you can't judge one TE by production and the other by talent. If every tight end was healthy all of the time Davis wouldn't be top 10 at this stage of his career.

I never pointed to Reed's talent.  I pointed to his production when healthy

Solid point about Davis not being top 10 with everyone else healthy though.

4 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Um, yes, I do think it's fair.  Did you miss the part when I said "when healthy"?

1. He put up a top 2 season when healthy while playing in only 14 games in 2015.

2. If you extrapolate his numbers from other seasons where he was always injured to a full season, he puts up top 5 TE numbers.

3. He just can't stay healthy.

4. And now we're back at the start.

So one season out of 5 is enough to proclaim a player is top 5 at their position, even though (for one reason or another, mostly injuries) they are unable to prove it again?

Good on you friend. Good on you.

For me, I tend to want to see players prove they are more than a one or two year wonder before proclaiming they are top 5 at their position. Something about consistency. I also prefer my players to be able to actually contribute on the field. Elite playmakers make the same impact as the 4th string water boy when both are riding the bench.

4 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

I feel you on the VD thing... but go watch Reed when he is healthy. TE talent in the NFL is weak... Reed is undoubtedly top 5 if he returns to how he has looked.

Rob Gronkowski (who has an extensive injury list himself, yet still balls)
Greg Olsen
Delanie Walker
Travis Kelce

Are easily top 4 in the league. After that, you have a number of players (including Reed) vying for position. Some of them have injury issues, like Eifert. But to proclaim Reed is top 5... that's a stretch.

You seem agitated.  Are you insecure about Reed being better than Walker when healthy?

*Shrugs*  It would be nice if Reed were healthy more often.  He's better than Walker when he is.  But since he's almost never healthy, I can't really call him top 5.  Only top 5 when he's healthy. B|

30 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

You seem agitated.  Are you insecure about Reed being better than Walker when healthy?

*Shrugs*  It would be nice if Reed were healthy more often.  He's better than Walker when he is.  But since he's almost never healthy, I can't really call him top 5.  Only top 5 when he's healthy. B|

Insecure? lol.

Edit:
Reed's "top 5" season was 87 catches for 952 yards and 11 TDs. Back in 2015.

Walker's 2015 season was 94 catches for 1088 yards and 6 TDs. So even on Reed's career year, he still only beats Walker in touchdowns.

When you compare the two players over the course of the past 5 years, Reed couldn't hold Walker's jock strap.

But you keep hyping up your man. Top 5 overrated I'll give you that.

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Insecure? lol.

Edit:
Reed's "top 5" season was 87 catches for 952 yards and 11 TDs. Back in 2015.

Walker's 2015 season was 94 catches for 1088 yards and 6 TDs. So even on Reed's career year, he still only beats Walker in touchdowns.

When you compare the two players over the course of the past 5 years, Reed couldn't hold Walker's jock strap.

But you keep hyping up your man. Top 5 overrated I'll give you that.

Lol.  You forgot to include the fact that Walker played 15 games that season while Reed played 14.  Even without that extra game, any sane person would take 5 more TDs over the difference in yards without thinking twice about it.

He also ranked ahead of Walker that season in DYAR.

Like I said, Reed is the better player when healthy.  Don't @ me with another insecure rebuttal.  

33 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

If Jordan Reed is stil considered a top five tight end then so should Tyler Eifert in my opinion.

Top 5 TE when healthy*

And that's fine with me.  Eifert is top 5 when healthy as well.  He's proven it.  I don't know why that Titan guy has such an issue with that, since I clearly state the disclaimer "when healthy" every time I make the statement.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Lol.  You forgot to include the fact that Walker played 15 games that season while Reed played 14.  Even without that extra game, any sane person would take 5 more TDs over the difference in yards without thinking twice about it.

He also ranked ahead of Walker that season in DYAR.

Like I said, Reed is the better player when healthy.  Don't @ me with another insecure rebuttal.  

Jordan Reed touchdown totals
3, 0, 11, 6, 2

Delanie Walker touchdown totals
6, 4, 6, 7, 3

Give me the guy who is out there 15+ games each season helping contribute to his team year after year over a one hit wonder. You want to live off one year of glory, more power to you. You want to pretend you can extrapolate his one 'healthy' season (which was only 14 games, as you point out) and say that's what he would consistently do, more power to you. But until Reed can prove it wasn't a one year wonder, and that he can, in fact, stay healthy and on the field, then he's just another case of a talented player who never reached his potential because of injuries. Delanie Walker has proven he's a top 5 TE when healthy because... news flash, he actually puts up those numbers because he does stay healthy and prove it.

Yeah, at some point the "when healthy" qualifier just doesn't really fly anymore. At some point, the narrative kind of has to shift from "he's great when healthy" to "he was great until he kept getting injured." Because he wasn't great in the 6 games he played in last year, on top of the injuries. It's not like he was leading the league in TE production when his season ended last year. And even still, it just doesn't matter at some point. If he misses most of this year, is he still top 5 when healthy? The year after too? Etc. Heck, where do we rank Josh Gordon on this kind of logic? He hasn't played a full season since he was an all-pro.

That kind of argument just has to have a half-life to it. And Reed is either at or at least very very close to the point where he hasn't been healthy enough in long enough for us to say what he is when healthy anymore.

Archived