Has there ever been a draft with this much QB Hype?

Chargers

11 hours ago, Classic said:

I haven't been following the NFL draft for all that long (2012), but does anyone remember if the '04 or '05 or any past draft having this much buzz surrounding QBs? Is it because of Social Media?

I'd say that this is the most hyped QB draft ever.  Although there was an incredible amount of talent in '04-'05, the draft in general was nowhere near as big of an event back then as it has become in the last several years.

I'm not sure it's pure "hype" so much as "excitement" and "intrigue" about this year's QB class.  There are an unusual number of 1st round caliber prospects, with the right mix of upside and polish to land them there in a QB-starved league.  It's exciting, and there's a LOT to talk about with the various prospects.  However...it isn't a draft loaded with absolute blue chip, can't miss star QBs.  It's a draft loaded with really interesting QBs with franchise QB upside at the top, any of whom could also absolutely bust completely.  That's what makes it such an interesting and discussion worthy QB draft.

There are 5 different guys you can make a legitimate case for as the QB who could realistically emerge from this draft 5 years from now as the best of the bunch.  While any of those same 5 could also be basically out of the league, or a journeyman backup in 5 years as well.  And there's actually a pretty decent second tier of guys beyond that as well to talk about.

19 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This one is the most hyped in about a decade though...although 2012 with Luck/RGIII was to an extent.

Both Luck and RG3 were immensely better prospects than anyone in this draft.

I don't think a single one of these guys this year is a top 10 QB prospect of the past decade.

Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield all have grades of at least 90 on Scouts Inc., the first time in 15 years that four QBs in same Draft grade that high: Scouts Inc. QB Grades, 2018 Darnold, USC 94 Allen, WYO 92 Rosen, UCLA 92 Mayfield, OKLA 91

29 minutes ago, Danger said:

Both Luck and RG3 were immensely better prospects than anyone in this draft.

Which is why I said Luck/RGIII more-so, but not in terms of the "volume" that this draft has. We're talking about 3 QB's taken with the first 3 picks and maybe 4 in the first 4 picks.

29 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think a single one of these guys this year is a top 10 QB prospect of the past decade.

Neither was Wentz

Neither was Watson

Neither was Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott

Hindsight is always 20/20

Just now, MWil23 said:

Which is why I said Luck/RGIII more-so, but not in terms of the "volume" that this draft has. We're talking about 3 QB's taken with the first 3 picks and maybe 4 in the first 4 picks.

Neither was Wentz

Neither was Watson

Neither was Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott

Hindsight is always 20/20

I'd have taken Wentz over anyone in this draft, and no that's not me just using hindsight in this case.

Just now, Danger said:

I'd have taken Wentz over anyone in this draft, and no that's not me just using hindsight in this case.

You probably would have taken RGIII over anyone in any of the last 3 drafts too.

Just now, MWil23 said:

You probably would have taken RGIII over anyone in any of the last 3 drafts too.

Not over Mariota honestly. And I'd have been wrong on that in a sense. 

All I'm saying is, none of these QBers are top caliber prospects and are being very much overdrafted. It seems with each passing year, QB's are more and more overdrafted.

Let me put it this way.

Look at 1999,

Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith
Cade McNown
Daunte Culpepper

Only 1, debateably 2 had any decent careers. That's the type of situation I see this year. Sure one of them will rise from the pack and make a good career for themselves, but which remains to be seen. Most of them are going to bust IYAM.

42 minutes ago, Danger said:

All I'm saying is, none of these QBers are top caliber prospects and are being very much overdrafted.

I would disagree with you there, because I think Darnold and Rosen are legit.

As for Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield, I would very much agree with you.

42 minutes ago, Danger said:

It seems with each passing year, QB's are more and more overdrafted.

That's pretty accurate as a whole as well, especially in the #2 spot ever since the RGIII trade.

Archived