Saints sign Bears WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

As I've said before, I honestly don't see him sticking around too long anyhow so I don't really care either way. I've had the Bears taking a WR early in the draft, before and after the AR signing and now I just hope that this forces Pace to go WR on day one or makes a trade. 

I think this says alot about what Pace thought of his recovery going forward and for good reason(same concern I had). And other GM's as well, which also explains the lack of interest that he received. 

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What does "draft picks" mean on this?   I thought it was how many WRs on the team were drafted by said team, but that cant be right. 

It's the number of WR's that are still on the team they were drafted on and are still on rookie contracts(not counting team option), but only those that count against the top 51 team salary(as of last night). So players such Robert davis, Isiah Ford, Tancey, etc are not counted. It is also not counting players such as Lippett who changed positions. This is really the only fair way to do it because of how much it is going to fluctuate as the off-season goes on. 

Actually, looking at it. I think my late-night quick addition was off for some of these teams. 

Team Position Draft Picks
Bills WR 1
Browns WR 3
Dolphins WR 3
Giants WR 1
Jets WR 5
Panthers WR 1
Patriots WR 1
Rams WR 4
Steelers WR 1
Texans WR 2

On 4/10/2018 at 10:14 AM, Broncofan said:

The Bears matched the Pack’s offer hours later.    The thinking to tie up the bidder’s cap makes sense when higher salary free agents are being sought after.   But now the FA who get signed aren’t that expensive.  

It means CHI is really conflicted - their beat reporter confirmed as much yesterday.  They still have until tomorrow to match - no idea exactly when tomorrow though.   

Apparently they verbally confirmed they would resign him but didn't actually put pen to paper until last minute.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yes, 2nd round tender for sure.   If you are going to put an original round tender, for 1M there's no reason to not put the 2nd round tender on him if you are unwilling to match a 2-year, 9.6M offer.   For all the talk this was to allow Meredith to establish his market value, that's ridiculously low in this day and age.   To not match it means that Pace just underestimated the demand that Meredith was going to command.   And if the risk is that great, then you don't offer any tender at all.   If you like him well enough to offer 1.9M, for a team with as much cap space as CHI has, it's awful decision-making to then try and save 1M when you're not willing to match an offer like NO made.

To offer the 1.9M tender and not match this ofer makes no sense other than thinking Meredith was going to get zero demand - if they like him enough to retain him, but don't want to match a 2-year sub-10M offer, then for a team with CHI's cap situation, it's a no-brainer to then pay the 1M more and lock him up at least for this year.   If Meredith goes nuts the next year, you get a comp pick back if he leaves, or you retain him.  If he doesn't do great things, you likely can retain him cheaply, or you can decide to let him walk - but there's no chance to have obtained any compensation this way.  Now, they get nothing.    Maybe he does nothing - but the lost opportunity here, for 1M more?   Man.

So yeah...SMH all the way around here.

Reports are they really did not trust his knee injury after tearing both his ACL and his MCL.  And as much as I wanted them to give him another shot and match the offer, we are talking about a guy who has had 1 season of NFL productivity.  I do not like that they did not resign him, but if Pace and Nagy don't think he's a great fit in the scheme (which apparently is part of the factor), and that they had concerns about his knee holding up, I don't think it is completely unreasonable for them to do it.   They likely would not have had someone make an offer on a 2nd round tender, so it seems like they didn't really want to commit to having him on the team either way.  

1 minute ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Chicago’s office thinks Dion Simms, Marcus Wheaton, Taylor Gabriel, and Trey Burton are better players. Tehehehehe

I’ll have a fun evening talking to Bears fans on Facebook about this.

I think Taylor Gabriel and Trey burton are better fits for the offense.  Marcus Wheaton isn't on the roster anymore

On 4/9/2018 at 6:41 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

1) All we have to go on are reports. If a player visits another team and no reports are made about a contract being offered then it's safe to say that said team didn't not make any offers. This is much safer bet than just blindly stating that the player did in fact receive an offer. 

Yeah... no.  Sorry, but that's blind assumption.  It's not safe to say that.  Fact is, you don't have to state one way or the other.  You're choosing to make the assumption when it isn't necessary to do so.

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Chicago’s office thinks Dion Simms, Marcus Wheaton, Taylor Gabriel, and Trey Burton are better players. Tehehehehe

I’ll have a fun evening talking to Bears fans on Facebook about this.

Wheaton is gone, like usual you failed at a witty comment. Congratulations on that amazing consistency. 

I'm not a fan of this at all, the deal was cheap and he is more talented than a $5mil a year after IMO. 

Maybe they were scared off by the knee, idk. But they could have had Burton, Meredith, and Gabriel for the next two years, and if Cam was doing better than one of them they could have cut them to make room for him. I don't like limiting the options a QB has like this. 

He will get a ton of targets if he stays healthy in NO. 

Archived