Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

https://x.com/draftingdude/status/1806026524447175008?s=12&t=6HL-uBrK4qbGh3V530lFEg

Some came with a Kuz trade idea:

• Sacramento gets Kuz

• Thunder get Harrison Barnes

• Wizards get Donovan Mitchell, PG, Sac

Sacramento’s 1st round pick

Thunder’s 1st round pick

I think you mean Davion Mitchell. I can't see Kuzma pulling that much value but if they got offered that the Wizards should be all over it. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I think you mean Davion Mitchell. I can't see Kuzma pulling that much value but if they got offered that the Wizards should be all over it. 

Yeah, he has a weird name. I also agree about the Kuzma trade value. I don’t think he pulls that much either but apparently we got offered two 1sts by the Mavericks in February.

On 6/19/2024 at 5:49 PM, lavar703 said:

I think ending up with Sarr would be pretty unbelievable. He’s good. 

I like him too. It’s probably a “great” outcome in the context of this draft class.

But taking a big man in the top couple picks of the NBA draft these days is sort of like taking a RB/TE in the top 10 of the NFL draft…he basically has to be elite for the pick to be worth it. Even someone like Deandre Ayton, who is a pretty good player, is also a pretty big disappointment and a guy whose team didn’t even want to pay him. 

There are a lot of things I like with Sarr that make him a little bit immune to the “just another big in today’s game” concern, though. I like that he can handle the ball and push it up the floor. I like seeing flashes of creativity (and effectiveness) as a passer out of the short pick and roll, as well as off the blocks. I love how switchable he is, which is the #1 kryptonite for bigs in the modern game. If you can handle yourself in switches against high-end shot creators, rather than becoming a target over and over again, you’re so much more playable for all 48 minutes. 

I think the shot looks okay, and I’m optimistic based on the immediate progress they were able to get out of Coulibaly, who really couldn’t shoot worth a damn when they drafted him. His percentages are pretty dreary from OTE and from Perth, but I really like seeing in his game log that he went 35/42 (83.3%) from the FT line over his last 17 games. Combine that FT shooting spike with the great percentages he shot on mid-range shots, I think he’s a good bet to improve as a shooter. He clearly has good touch.

The shot will be key to his progress on offense, not just because it’s nice to make shots, but he has some ability to attack off the dribble. If they have to close out harder, that opens the door for the drive (and the kick). Huge advantage if your 5 can do that. 

Think the two big questions that will determine how close he gets to his ceiling are (1) can the 3-ball stroke progress? and (2) can he add weight and strength without losing that rare ability to switch onto perimeter players? If the answer to both of those questions ends up being in the neighborhood of “yes,” I think he can be an All-Star type player. 

Very sensible pick for us. Biggest upside out of this trash can class. I can see why ATL might feel less sanguine about his fit with them, but he’s really tailormade for a rebuilding/development roster like this one. See what he becomes. If he’s a star, awesome. If he turns into nothing, so be it — he’ll contribute to being in proper draft position next year and beyond, when there might be more than 6th men available in the early lottery. Much prefer that to the typical Tommy Sheppard swing for a single approach.

I should add that Sarr is really the only guy I’m interested in at the top of the draft. 

Risacher feels like a fine player, but he also feels so painfully redundant with the only quality players we have. I know, don’t draft for need — but he can help someone else a lot more than he can help us, and I’d trade the pick if he’s there.

Clingan feels like a relic of a bygone era, and I’m not interested in doing that. I think he’s a wonderful paint-bound defensive anchor — and I think guys like that get eaten alive by guys like Luka and Tatum, not to mention by small ball lineups.

Sheppard is a guy that of course I love, because he’s basically me (if I was taller and could jump, which he really can). Elite shooter, elite IQ, high-end passer. But how high is the ceiling there? To me, you just can’t take a relatively low ceiling player with pick 2.

If Sarr goes at #1, I’d probably look to trade down if possible, using Risacher as bait. Maybe to 4 or maybe to 6? Would be looking at Sheppard or Castle or even Knecht at that point.

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1806097327918080270?s=46&t=y8PgR5zFiJfdMzKoT-A3zw 

Avdija going to the Blazers for Malcolm Brogdan, the 14th pick tonight and a 2029 pick. 

That sort of changes things.

Might make me a little more open to Risacher, just in the sense that he is very Avdija-esque in my book, in the “jack of all trades master of none” sense. 

My initial reactions are (a) I don’t like the value, but we’ll see what they have in mind for 14 and (b) Malcolm Brogdon probably shouldn’t invest a ton in Wizards gear or DC real estate.

Edited by e16bball

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Deni has a steal of a contract, descending $15 mil or less until 2028. That trade is just dumb imo. 

Because Dawkins is a terrible GM. Just like said he was. Dude is just outclassed in nearly every trade he makes. This is a horrible trade. 

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That sort of changes things.

Might make me a little more open to Risacher, just in the sense that he is very Avdija-esque in my book, in the “jack of all trades master of none” sense. 

My initial reactions are (a) I don’t like the value, but we’ll see what they have in mind for 14 and (b) Malcolm Brogdon probably shouldn’t invest a ton in Wizards gear or DC real estate.

Risacher hit 43% for the first month last season then sub 30% the rest of the regular season. He then got hot in the postseason. He's a career 70% FT shooter. This idea that he's some lights out shooter is just not true. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Risacher hit 43% for the first month last season then sub 30% the rest of the regular season. He then got hot in the postseason. He's a career 70% FT shooter. This idea that he's some lights out shooter is just not true. 

Yeah, I’m not really buying that either. 

I’m hoping he’s off the board by the time we get the chance to play.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, I’m not really buying that either. 

I’m hoping he’s off the board by the time we get the chance to play.

I think Clingan is going 1 and Risacher drops to 4. Top 5 plays out: 

Clingan

Sarr

Sheppard

Risacher 

Buzelis