Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

11 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I find it funny that you side with teams that don't know how to get over the hump. And your NBA recipe for success if laughable.

John Wall on a supermax... wow... just wow. O.o

You do realize that it’s not exactly easy to get over this imaginary hump, and the only way to do so is to continually be in the mix.

If you’re blowing up your team every few years because “well that’s just what I like to do” that’s the worse recipe for success; see Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato from 2000-2009.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You do realize that it’s not exactly easy to get over this imaginary hump, and the only way to do so is to continually be in the mix.

You realize the Caps, and the Wiz, both essentially tanked to even get to where they are now, right? Nats too?

Wilson didn’t deserve 3 games but the guy is a fool who doesn’t seem to have a high IQ. He’s a target, he has to know this! After he knocked out the Pens player with a concussion a few games ago, honestly I wasn’t surprised he wasn’t suspended then. People can say whatever they want, he lowered his shoulder into the guys head, in the NFL that’s a penalty, in college football it’s targeting and you’re kicked out of the game.

I like Wilson he plays harder than anyone, but until he starts playing hard and smart I have a hard time endorsing his actions. At times he plays like a goon - something the Pens don’t do - which is one reason they win.

4 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

You realize the Caps, and the Wiz, both essentially tanked to even get to where they are now, right? Nats too?

The Nats didn’t tank. They genuinely sucked because the MLB stripped their entire farm system and then Bowden compounded things. Their back to back 100 loss seasons were genuine suck years. They didn’t tank to suck that bad, they simply had nobody that was any good. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsin2013 said:

Not exactly. They didn’t blow up teams that usually won playoff series and took eventual championship teams to 6 or 7 games in series.

The wizards felt forced to move Arenas after the gun incident. After that happened it was pointless to keep Butler & Jamison together. Jamison especially was aging and really not affective anymore, he went to Cleveland and didn’t give Lebron the help he thought he was getting.

The Nats didn’t tank, they were/are the Montreal Expos and they were barely watchable their first few years in DC. They didn’t tank, they just used to suck!

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Wilson didn’t deserve 3 games but the guy is a fool who doesn’t seem to have a high IQ. He’s a target, he has to know this! After he knocked out the Pens player with a concussion a few games ago, honestly I wasn’t surprised he wasn’t suspended then. People can say whatever they want, he lowered his shoulder into the guys head, in the NFL that’s a penalty, in college football it’s targeting and you’re kicked out of the game.

I like Wilson he plays harder than anyone, but until he starts playing hard and smart I have a hard time endorsing his actions. At times he plays like a goon - something the Pens don’t do - which is one reason they win.

It was a clean hit. What else is he supposed to do? The NHL is essentially punishing a guy because he’s bigger than everyone else. 

Suck... tank... suck... tank. The Caps blew up the team following Jagr... the Wiz not only washed their hands of Arenas... they washed their hands of his contract, which was crippling at that time (sound familiar?). They promptly sucked and were able to nab Wall, Beal, Porter.

The Nats didn't tank... yes, they simply sucked. Harper, Stras...

Point is "the only way to [get better] is to continually be in the mix" isn't accurate in the least. If you aren't a big market, one of the more effective ways of getting better is shedding terrible contracts, even if it means a step back, and building a team via the draft and smart trades and free agent moves. Supermaxes are reserved for superstars... Wall is simply a star... on his third knee surgery.

Edited by Skinsin2013

9 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Suck... tank... suck... tank. The Caps blew up the team following Jagr... the Wiz not only washed their hands of Arenas... they washed their hands of his contract, which was crippling at that time (sound familiar?). They promptly sucked and were able to nab Wall, Beal, Porter.

The Nats didn't tank... yes, they simply sucked. Harper, Stras...

Point is "the only way to [get better] is to continually be in the mix" isn't accurate in the least. If you aren't a big market, one of the more effective ways of getting better is shedding terrible contracts, even if it means a step back, and building a team via the draft and smart trades and free agent moves. Supermaxes are reserved for superstars... Wall is simply a star... on his third knee surgery.

So you are saying the Nations Capital isn’t a large market? 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So you are saying the Nations Capital isn’t a large market? 

Compared to NY, LA, BOS, CHI? No. Not at all.

And it's a transient city full of bandwagoners and cell-phone watchers (folks that spend more time watching their phones then the games).

17 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Compared to NY, LA, BOS, CHI? No. Not at all.

And it's a transient city full of bandwagoners and cell-phone watchers (folks that spend more time watching their phones then the games).

The same goes for New York and LA. There’s literally no difference. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

You can't compare LA and NY to DC in terms of being major media markets... attraction... stardom. Not even close.

It didn’t stop LA from losing countless football teams. It also hasn’t helped them in filling their new teams stadiums. You are sitting here calling DC a front-runner town and then excusing LA of it? Give me a break dude.