Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I had him at #15 when I did my rankings a few months ago but I'm not entirely sure where he'd rank if I redid them today. I like the kid. Hard working, two way 200 ft center with, most likely, top end #2 center upside. Lacks any standout tool and his skating kinda hinders his ceiling. He'll be an NHLer but the upside just isn't there compared to a lot of the rest of the class. He could go anywhere from #9 to #24 in this draft. The kind of guy, much like Lundell, that's probably loved more by NHL execs than draftniks like you and me. I think he'd be a great get for the Devils at 18 or 20 as the eventual Travis Zajac role replacement.

He's going to go higher because of the lack of true centers in this draft in my opinion. Very strong on the wing, and some guys who are centers now probably project as wings, so I think he ends up going in the low / mid teens when I Think he's probably more of a 20-25 guy. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's going to go higher because of the lack of true centers in this draft in my opinion. Very strong on the wing, and some guys who are centers now probably project as wings, so I think he ends up going in the low / mid teens when I Think he's probably more of a 20-25 guy. 

His ceiling is Minnesota but they'll go Lundell if he's there. Winnipeg could be an option at #10 as well. 

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I had him at #15 when I did my rankings a few months ago but I'm not entirely sure where he'd rank if I redid them today. I like the kid. Hard working, two way 200 ft center with, most likely, top end #2 center upside. Lacks any standout tool and his skating kinda hinders his ceiling. He'll be an NHLer but the upside just isn't there compared to a lot of the rest of the class. He could go anywhere from #9 to #24 in this draft. The kind of guy, much like Lundell, that's probably loved more by NHL execs than draftniks like you and me. I think he'd be a great get for the Devils at 18 or 20 as the eventual Travis Zajac role replacement.

Yeah I actually agree with everything you put out here. I love him as a prospect because truth be told, he's the type of player you win with in the playoffs (as cliche as that sounds). I have a tough time between him and Lundell imo. Lundell has far more skill and upside, but the question becomes can you fix his skating. Zary may not be a top line guy and may top out at 50 points/year, but he's going to be the guy taking tough match ups in the playoffs and scoring timely goals.

Tristen Robins and Evan Vierling are two guys I like in the latter part of the 1st and through the second who I think have 2nd line C upside who I like too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Yeah I actually agree with everything you put out here. I love him as a prospect because truth be told, he's the type of player you win with in the playoffs (as cliche as that sounds). I have a tough time between him and Lundell imo. Lundell has far more skill and upside, but the question becomes can you fix his skating. Zary may not be a top line guy and may top out at 50 points/year, but he's going to be the guy taking tough match ups in the playoffs and scoring timely goals.

Tristen Robins and Evan Vierling are two guys I like in the latter part of the 1st and through the second who I think have 2nd line C upside who I like too.

I'm with you on Robins and Vierling. We've got a guy over on HF that's our resident draft guru and he thinks Robins has first line upside if it all clicks. I'm just hoping NHL staffs continue to suck and Bob McKenzie's rankings stand true so we have a shot at Robins with the Carolina 3rd lol. In reality, he and Vierling are top 45 prospects.

I'll have to update my rankings one last time and expand them to 75 or 100. I only put out 50 last time but I love a lot of these kids.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Sometimes, I really wonder about other Devils fans. I get that I'm not always the best and brightest, and my ideas aren't always the smartest, but some ideas...just woof lol

The Butcher-Smith pairing is the one thing that is driving me over the edge right now.

Just now, beekay414 said:

The Butcher-Smith pairing is the one thing that is driving me over the edge right now.

If we qualify Mueller, I could see us add 2 other lefties in free agency + trade and then maybe trade Butcher. Play Smith on the third pairing right side or start him in the AHL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we qualify Mueller, I could see us add 2 other lefties in free agency + trade and then maybe trade Butcher. Play Smith on the third pairing right side or start him in the AHL. 

We're definitely going to re-work our left side this year. I think Butcher is going to get time with Subban and we'll sign a defensive minded dman for the bottom pair with Smith. Depends on whether we want him on the left or the right. Left side, sign Gudas. Right side, bring back Mueller.

UFA (Dillon)-Severson
Butcher-Subban
Mueller-Smith or Smith-Gudas

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So I bought a Patrick Elias hat (Devils logo with PE26 on the back) for $12 plus tax and then failed to change the two day $15 shipping to normal and ended up paying $30 total. Straight facepalm. 

It's so weird to pay for shipping any more lol. But still, $30 for a hat isn't the worst thing ever. I know that I definitely have a number of hats that cost that much. Granted, 45% of that wasn't from shipping LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's so weird to pay for shipping any more lol. But still, $30 for a hat isn't the worst thing ever. I know that I definitely have a number of hats that cost that much. Granted, 45% of that wasn't from shipping LOL

Oh yeah, almost all my hats are $30+ so it's nothing new, it just pissed me off that I missed the shipping choice and paid twice as much as the hat was worth lol. I better like how this ***** fits. 😆

Just now, beekay414 said:

I mean, sure, who wouldn't? I just don't know what I'd be willing to move for him. 

Apparently the Taylor's lost step dude lol. But I digress. 

I'm really curious to see what Toronto does because I think that there's a scenario where they actually sell him short just to get him off the books and go after someone like Pietrangelo. Toronto is a better team with Pietrangelo + 1st in place of Nylander in my opinion, and they badly need defenders. Nylander basically gets them 2/3 of the way to affording him if you assume that he's going to get 9 - 9.5 in a flat cap world. Is it completely crazy to think that they would trade him off for like Vancouver's 1st and an okay prospect? 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Apparently the Taylor's lost step dude lol. But I digress. 

I'm really curious to see what Toronto does because I think that there's a scenario where they actually sell him short just to get him off the books and go after someone like Pietrangelo. Toronto is a better team with Pietrangelo + 1st in place of Nylander in my opinion, and they badly need defenders. Nylander basically gets them 2/3 of the way to affording him if you assume that he's going to get 9 - 9.5 in a flat cap world. Is it completely crazy to think that they would trade him off for like Vancouver's 1st and an okay prospect? 

Who knows, man? We always try to project values on trades and we're always wrong so it's a moot discussion anyways. Just depends on whether or not Toronto KNOWS they are getting Pietrangelo or not. If they know, you might be able to get him for a lesser return. I would definitely offer Vancouver's 1st and Boqvist as it stands. Not sure that's enough but it's where I start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Who knows, man? We always try to project values on trades and we're always wrong so it's a moot discussion anyways. Just depends on whether or not Toronto KNOWS they are getting Pietrangelo or not. If they know, you might be able to get him for a lesser return. I would definitely offer Vancouver's 1st and Boqvist as it stands. Not sure that's enough but it's where I start.

Thats the nice thing about the off season - they can sign him, go over the cap by up to 10% (gives them an extra 8 million cushion), and then trade off the parts that they need to. I just don't know what they are thinking, so like you said, who the hell knows. 

There was apparently an Eklund rumor about PK (50% retained) + 1st for Nylander lol.