Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, Forge said:

I'm ok on Sanderson. It's a selection that makes sense. He's not my #7 but I'm not going to complain about taking a guy I view as top 12 at #7. We take Guhle, I'll complain lol. 

That being said, I think Drysdale will be there at 7. Anaheim is the only team I think that takes him, and they could just as easily take holtz. 

I hope one of them is there tbh. The absolutely worst thing that could happen for us is Rossi going 4th, Drysdale going 5th and Sanderson going 6th. Raymond, Holtz and Perfetti are all good but they are further down my list of wants than those previous 3. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I keep thinking Raymond for Ottawa. They love swedes, and I think Detroit is going to go Rossi. I just think perfetti is going to fall. I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the top 10

I honestly have no idea what to expect. Rossi makes total sense for Detroit, for sure. That pick is where this draft starts to get wild. I'd LOVE for Stevie Y to go off the board again and take Lundell.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I honestly have no idea what to expect. Rossi makes total sense for Detroit, for sure. That pick is where this draft starts to get wild. I'd LOVE for Stevie Y to go off the board again and take Lundell.

I do think lundell is going top ten. He's one of the reasons I think perfetti falls. I think he goes first

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I hope one of them is there tbh. The absolutely worst thing that could happen for us is Rossi going 4th, Drysdale going 5th and Sanderson going 6th. Raymond, Holtz and Perfetti are all good but they are further down my list of wants than those previous 3. 

Don't worry about Ottawa with Drysdale. They are stacked on the right side prospect wise. If they take a defender, it's going to be Sanderson imo, but I still think they go Raymond

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I keep thinking Raymond for Ottawa. They love swedes, and I think Detroit is going to go Rossi. I just think perfetti is going to fall. I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the top 10

1. New York - Laf

2. LA Kings - Stutzle

3. Ottawa Senators - Byfield

4. Detroit Red Wings - Raymond

5. Ottawa Senators - Sanderson

6. Anaheim Ducks - Drysdale

7. New Jersey Devils - Cole Perfetti

8. Buffalo Sabres - Jack Quinn

9. Minnesota Wild - Alexander Holtz

10. Winnipeg Jets - Lundell? Jarvis?

8-9-10 gets muddy but that's where I'm at. I think if anyone takes the plunge on Sanderson early it's going to be the Sens, with Sanderson their top-4 in the future is going to be ridiculously well rounded. While I like Raymond more as a prospect, the Sens are trying to keep D cost controlled, and Sanderson for all the crap he gets has a high floor if developed right.

Edited by Canadian Saint

4 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

1. New York - Laf

2. LA Kings - Stutzle

3. Ottawa Senators - Byfield

4. Detroit Red Wings - Raymond

5. Ottawa Senators - Sanderson

6. Anaheim Ducks - Drysdale

7. New Jersey Devils - Cole Perfetti

8. Buffalo Sabres - Jack Quinn

9. Minnesota Wild - Alexander Holtz

10. Winnipeg Jets - Lundell? Jarvis?

8-9-10 gets muddy but that's where I'm at. I think if anyone takes the plunge on Sanderson early it's going to be the Sens, with Sanderson their top-4 in the future is going to be ridiculously well rounded. While I like Raymond more as a prospect, the Sens are trying to keep D cost controlled, and Sanderson for all the crap he gets has a high floor if developed right.

Where's Rossi? He'd be our pick in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm curious what Talvitie is going to do now with big ten college hockey cancelled. Assuming he turns pro in Europe?

Hellickson is apparently going to stay on campus at ND

Yeah, I think he'll go back overseas for the time being. It's what makes the most sense.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Where's Rossi? He'd be our pick in that scenario. 

Well this may be a hot take, but upon looking at more film and reading the black book (and quotes from NHL scouts and executives), Rossi was the biggest drop in my rankings for the top 10. I'm confident he goes closer to 10 and later than he does to 5. I don't think you guys would take him.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Well this may be a hot take, but upon looking at more film and reading the black book (and quotes from NHL scouts and executives), Rossi was the biggest drop in my rankings for the top 10. I'm confident he goes closer to 10 and later than he does to 5. I don't think you guys would take him.

ryan reynolds hd GIF

4 hours ago, beekay414 said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

So I can't get over Rossi's size and skating combo. I love his tools and what he's shown, but the guy plays with some heavy boots. He's not going to be able to play an up tempo game in the NHL (as he doesn't in junior). Too many times he plays like he takes what is given to him rather than creating something out of nothing, which he is very much capable to do. This poses the question would he be as effective if he wasn't on one of the top teams in junior. Take Perfetti, similar issues re: skating, however he created and drove the play much more. Apart from that, to play C in the NHL at his size, you have to be a good skater. Guys around his size are guys like Point, Tyler Johnson, Vincent Trochek and Pageau. All those guys are good skaters or atleast better than Rossi's skating. I also don't think he'd be an effective winger in the NHL due to a lot of his points coming with him driving the play(also I can't think of any top 6 wingers with his size+skating combo). In contrast I think Perfetti can still be a dynamic winger if moved from C (which he will). Now with all this factor in he's one of the older players in the draft and I really do have questions on his top end upside. Black book's quote from scouts are a lot less forgiving, but I don't like how harsh they were. I like other players more and think they'll transfer to the NHL much better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

So I can't get over Rossi's size and skating combo. I love his tools and what he's shown, but the guy plays with some heavy boots. He's not going to be able to play an up tempo game in the NHL (as he doesn't in junior). Too many times he plays like he takes what is given to him rather than creating something out of nothing, which he is very much capable to do. This poses the question would he be as effective if he wasn't on one of the top teams in junior. Take Perfetti, similar issues re: skating, however he created and drove the play much more. Apart from that, to play C in the NHL at his size, you have to be a good skater. Guys around his size are guys like Point, Tyler Johnson, Vincent Trochek and Pageau. All those guys are good skaters or atleast better than Rossi's skating. I also don't think he'd be an effective winger in the NHL due to a lot of his points coming with him driving the play(also I can't think of any top 6 wingers with his size+skating combo). In contrast I think Perfetti can still be a dynamic winger if moved from C (which he will). Now with all this factor in he's one of the older players in the draft and I really do have questions on his top end upside. Black book's quote from scouts are a lot less forgiving, but I don't like how harsh they were. I like other players more and think they'll transfer to the NHL much better.

Rossi's skating is clunky but I don't think it's a hindrance. His top end speed is still pretty damn fast. He's also built like a fire hydrant so his size isn't really going to be a detriment either. I don't know, I think he's going to be a strong, dirty areas, workmanlike two way player that still has PPG upside. His work ethic is too good to be a failure in the NHL. I think he's going to work his *** off to be the best player he can be. Also, Point's skating wasn't what it is now, thus why he went where he went in the draft, so there's really no reason to think Rossi's can't get better either. He's still got damn good top end speed. I personally think that Stevie Y is going to take him at #4.

Also, Lapierre takes what's given but he's still considered a line driver, so why the difference with Rossi? Of course, I'm not saying you think Lapierre is a line driver either though.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, beekay414 said:

Rossi's skating is clunky but I don't think it's a hindrance. His top end speed is still pretty damn fast. He's also built like a fire hydrant so his size isn't really going to be a detriment either. I don't know, I think he's going to be a strong, dirty areas, workmanlike two way player that still has PPG upside. His work ethic is too good to be a failure in the NHL. I think he's going to work his *** off to be the best player he can be. Also, Point's skating wasn't what it is now, thus why he went where he went in the draft, so there's really no reason to think Rossi's can't get better either. He's still got damn good top end speed. I personally think that Stevie Y is going to take him at #4.

Also, Lapierre takes what's given but he's still considered a line driver, so why the difference with Rossi? Of course, I'm not saying you think Lapierre is a line driver either though.

See I disgree. I think his clunky skating and especially his first step is going to really be a problem going into the NHL (if he gets there). You're right, once he gets going he's got enough speed, but how often do NHL players get to do that? He just won't get the open space in the NHL. He's super well rounded skillset wise, and if he can fix his skating I really do like his potential, however I'm really reluctant to draft a player in the top 10 with heavy boots like he has. I've heard similar about his work ethic so we will see. I think between his size, skating, age and the whole points against lower teams argument, he'll get taken 8-9-10. Too much of a risk for the top half.

I think we might have a wild draft. I also wouldn't touch Lapierre in the first 45 picks. Skills be damned, he's one more hit away from retirement.

14 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

See I disgree. I think his clunky skating and especially his first step is going to really be a problem going into the NHL (if he gets there). You're right, once he gets going he's got enough speed, but how often do NHL players get to do that? He just won't get the open space in the NHL. He's super well rounded skillset wise, and if he can fix his skating I really do like his potential, however I'm really reluctant to draft a player in the top 10 with heavy boots like he has. I've heard similar about his work ethic so we will see. I think between his size, skating, age and the whole points against lower teams argument, he'll get taken 8-9-10. Too much of a risk for the top half.

I think we might have a wild draft. I also wouldn't touch Lapierre in the first 45 picks. Skills be damned, he's one more hit away from retirement.

There was a post about his points vs higher teams in his thread over on HF that really put to bed the idea that he only scored against lower teams. Against the better teams, he played a more defensive orientated role to try and win the games. It's on like page 45 of his thread over there that can explain it better than I can.