Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, Forge said:

That's why I haven't completely ruled out the Kings taking Stutzle (who has some positional flexibility), but yeah, the Rangers are literally just setting up to be Toronto 2.0 at this point. 

Yep. If they made that decision, gained Kupari/Thomas and then took Byfield? Yeah, I'd be vastly worried especially if they landed ROR or Barron with that Carolina pick.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I have decided to utilize the ignore function over there. Gonna save me a lot of time. 

I always think about it, but I've been solid with just ignoring people on my own lol. Zacha third guy has quoted me twice today and I've ignored him both times lol

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

I always think about it, but I've been solid with just ignoring people on my own lol. Zacha third guy has quoted me twice today and I've ignored him both times lol

I blocked him and guitarguyvic simply because I just got tired of reading their bull****. You're not missing much if those two are posting anyways so what's the point of even reading it or even giving them the chance to converse with you? 

Pronman's new mock has you guys leaving the 1st round with RD Drysdale, LW Lukas Reichel and C Hendrix Lapierre.

I'll be pretty upset if my Oilers pass on my favorite prospect in the 1st for Dylan bloody Holloway, however I think you guys do quite well. I don't like the Lapierre pick (conussions are no joke).

Would you be happy with that haul?

9 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Pronman's new mock has you guys leaving the 1st round with RD Drysdale, LW Lukas Reichel and C Hendrix Lapierre.

I'll be pretty upset if my Oilers pass on my favorite prospect in the 1st for Dylan bloody Holloway, however I think you guys do quite well. I don't like the Lapierre pick (conussions are no joke).

Would you be happy with that haul?

Beekay would prefer Perreault over Reichel, which makes sense given the lack of right wingers and scorers in the system. 

I'm fine with Lapierre because the talent is absolutely legit...concussions are scary, but there's a good deal of randomness already baked into selections at 20+ and how they turn out. I really like Reichel just fine, and I also like Amirov in that spot if available. 

That being said, I'm kind of hoping that we take 18 + 20, package it up for 11 + second round pick, and see if we can get someone in that third tier. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Beekay would prefer Perreault over Reichel, which makes sense given the lack of right wingers and scorers in the system. 

I'm fine with Lapierre because the talent is absolutely legit...concussions are scary, but there's a good deal of randomness already baked into selections at 20+ and how they turn out. I really like Reichel just fine, and I also like Amirov in that spot if available. 

That being said, I'm kind of hoping that we take 18 + 20, package it up for 11 + second round pick, and see if we can get someone in that third tier. 

Perrault reminds me too much of Galchenyuk. Same plus skating and shot, same lack of interest in the defensive zone, same meh playmaking and board work ability.

Sam Colangelo would be someone I'd consider with the 20th. He reminds me a little of Mark Stone.

I don't hate Reichel at all. He'd likely end up being a good pick but we lack top 6 depth at RW and this draft is loaded there. To come out of the first round of this draft without one would drive me nuts. Our LW prospect and young player depth is far better off than RW. I mean...

Left Wing
Jesper Bratt
Jesper Boqvist
Nolan Foote
Janne Kuokkanen
Aarne Talvitie
Nikola Pasic
Mikhail Maltsev

Right Wing
Joey Anderson
Tyce Thompson (C)
Graeme Clarke
Fabian Zetterlund
Marian Studenic
Nathan Bastian
Nick Merkley (C)
Patrick Moynihan (C)

We have similar depth but the left side has more upside. The right side is fully dependent on lottery tickets to pan out for top 6 production. The left side, we've got 3 top 6 upside prospects (Bratt, Boqvist, Foote), a middle 6 prospect (Kuokkanen), a most likely 3rd line stalwart (Talvitie)  and two shots in the dark. The right side we've got a 3rd line stalwart (Anderson), two bottom 6ers (Bastian, Merkley), and five lottery tickets. Thompson and Clarke show top 6 promise but they are still wildcards. 

That list also doesn't include the fact that, if we landed another top line potential C, Hughes could move to LW.

Edited by beekay414

Also, the RW doesn't have to be Perreault. If we can trade back from #20, gain a 2nd and take Colangelo or Gunler, I'm all for that too. I just feel like we need to get a kid with surefire top 6 upside if it all clicks. I like Thompson and Clarke a lot but I'm not betting on them to be top 6 guys if I had the choice.

Like, I'd be 100% fine if we took Reichel at 18 if we landed a RW with the next pick. I know that's pigeonholing yourself but RW is a strength of this draft and not landing a single one would be less than ideal. 

Honestly though, I just want this entire process over with and to come out with 3 quality prospects regardless. That's what's most important. I may have my preferences but these guys get paid for it and they've forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. I trust Paul Castron 100%.

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Perrault reminds me too much of Galchenyuk. Same plus skating and shot, same lack of interest in the defensive zone, same meh playmaking and board work ability.

Sam Colangelo would be someone I'd consider with the 20th. He reminds me a little of Mark Stone.

It's hard to know what Fitzgerald's plan is going forward but, based on his trading, he wants to get bigger and be a more complete two way team so Colangelo 100% fits that mold. I just posted over on HF that, if that's Fitzy's plan, the ideal draft would be landing Sanderson at #7 and then getting Reichel and Colangelo at 18/20.

That's actually probably how my next mock for the Devils goes tbh. 

Edited by beekay414

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

It's hard to know what Fitzgerald's plan is going forward but, based on his trading, he wants to get bigger and be a more complete two way team so Colangelo 100% fits that mold. I just posted over on HF that, if that's Fitzy's plan, the ideal draft would be landing Sanderson at #7 and then getting Reichel and Colangelo at 18/20.

That's actually probably how my next mock for the Devils goes tbh. 

So I have Reichel in my top 10. I think if there is any winger who is going to have a big rise D+1 and D+2 it's going to be him. If you get him at 18, I think it'll be a steal. Colangelo kind of scares me due to his competition, but his USHL team has been a powerhouse in developing quality prospects. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you guys traded up from 20 to say 14 for an extra 2nd to try grab someone earlier. From what you describe, I reckon a Mercer or even a Zary (if you stay at 20) would fit what you need quite well.

43 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

So I have Reichel in my top 10. I think if there is any winger who is going to have a big rise D+1 and D+2 it's going to be him. If you get him at 18, I think it'll be a steal. Colangelo kind of scares me due to his competition, but his USHL team has been a powerhouse in developing quality prospects. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you guys traded up from 20 to say 14 for an extra 2nd to try grab someone earlier. From what you describe, I reckon a Mercer or even a Zary (if you stay at 20) would fit what you need quite well.

If we can use NYI's 2021 2nd to move up and land Mercer (or Jarvis), I'll be the happiest sunovabitch ever. 

What do you see in Reichel to have him top 10? Our draft guy over on HF has him as a middle 6 forward as it stands but does he have top line potential?

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If we can use NYI's 2021 2nd to move up and land Mercer (or Jarvis), I'll be the happiest sunovabitch ever. 

What do you see in Reichel to have him top 10? Our draft guy over on HF has him as a middle 6 forward as it stands but does he have top line potential?

So Reichel for me is more substance over style type player. I think he has top line potential. The best comparison in terms of playing style I can say for him is he is the winger version of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. From watching prospects play, Reichel's IQ immediately stood out for me. His anticipation and ability to read the play is really impressive. His feel for the game and knowing where to be is top notch and up there in the top 5 in the draft. If you watch his games, often times in the offensive zone he'll be the first one to puck on the forecheck or the cycle, and often times he's the one initiating a pass to a teammate in a high danger zone or taking a shot in a high danger zone. I believe it was scouching but he has the highest ratio of passes to HDZ and I believe top 3 in shots taken from HDZ. He doesn't have a hard and heavy shot like Quinn or Holtz, but he has a nice quick release and his placement is top notch. His biggest weakness right now is he is a 17 y/o playing in a mens league, meaning that he's getting muscled off the puck by men in the cycle. Apart from that, he doesn't have any gaping weaknesses in his game. He's defensively solid, can cycle, has shown good playmaking instincts, shoots and has top notch IQ. I think there is a 60-70 point two-way winger in the NHL in terms of his potential. The other advantage is he's ready to play in the AHL like RD Mortiz Seider had for the Red Wings. You could get an 18 year old kid, maturing in the AHL for multiple seasons before coming up. Huge advantage in terms of development too.

• Like 1