Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

20 hours ago, beekay414 said:

There was a post about his points vs higher teams in his thread over on HF that really put to bed the idea that he only scored against lower teams. Against the better teams, he played a more defensive orientated role to try and win the games. It's on like page 45 of his thread over there that can explain it better than I can. 

Tbh I hate the argument and don't put too much weight into it. I mean, you don't face 30 prime Duncan Keith's, you still face junior level defenders in the NHL (looking at you Darnell Nurse), however in blackbook, you wouldn't believe how many quotes from scouts refer to that over and over again. It's obviously going to be something that will be used against him.

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Tbh I hate the argument and don't put too much weight into it. I mean, you don't face 30 prime Duncan Keith's, you still face junior level defenders in the NHL (looking at you Darnell Nurse), however in blackbook, you wouldn't believe how many quotes from scouts refer to that over and over again. It's obviously going to be something that will be used against him.

And it's not like he disappeared and didn't produce in those games...you'd have a case if he did. He was still over a PPG against top notch competition.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

The hilarity of devils fans offering to take on James Neal's atrocious contract while sending Zacha and Butcher and a pick to Edmonton for Nurse is just too much. Jesus. 

Oh, man. Be happy I just woke up from a beer binge lol otherwise I would've probably gotten banned from HF for calling those clowns idiots lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Canadian Saint said:

Sooo can you email Fitz and I'll email Holland?

The desperation is amazing. Like, I get that we need that sort of thumping, gritty defender....but we aren't going anywhere in two years and we likely won't be able to sign him. We would seriously be paying Neal longer than we are paying Nurse. Then you add assets that do have a little value in Zacha and Butcher plus a pick? Hell no. Seriously. Trade a song for Nick Leddy just to get him off the isles books because they are desperately going to need him gone, trade nothing of consequence for Zadorov for a couple of years.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Oh, man. Be happy I just woke up from a beer binge lol otherwise I would've probably gotten banned from HF for calling those clowns idiots lol.

I don't get the desperation for the "right this second" thinking. We can't add anyone that makes us legit contenders in the next two seasons. The play is buying low, improving talent and letting the development for younger players happen. 

Just now, Forge said:

I don't get the desperation for the "right this second" thinking. We can't add anyone that makes us legit contenders in the next two seasons. The play is buying low, improving talent and letting the development for younger players happen. 

Because those turds have this idea that the rebuild has gone on too long and that we should be better than we are. Thing is, with a real NHL caliber coach, we're going to be a bubble team with the talent we have, as it is. The real play, as you said, is to wait and develop. I think we can be real players once Cory's contract is off the books because, as you've said, I don't think we're going to buy him out. 

Rushing is how you do something stupid like trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Because those turds have this idea that the rebuild has gone on too long and that we should be better than we are. Thing is, with a real NHL caliber coach, we're going to be a bubble team with the talent we have, as it is. The real play, as you said, is to wait and develop. I think we can be real players once Cory's contract is off the books because, as you've said, I don't think we're going to buy him out. 

Rushing is how you do something stupid like trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.

So much the bolded. So much. 

And its not like I'm opposed to improving the team immediately. I just think that there are far better methods of doing it. I've put my stamp down on trading on the firsts for a young player. I've advocated trying to get Virtanen from the nucks, Dunn, Cernak. And I'd much rather have Cernak than Nurse given the team control left. Neals contract (and pay) is so nasty in a flat cap era...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So much the bolded. So much. 

And its not like I'm opposed to improving the team immediately. I just think that there are far better methods of doing it. I've put my stamp down on trading on the firsts for a young player. I've advocated trying to get Virtanen from the nucks, Dunn, Cernak. And I'd much rather have Cernak than Nurse given the team control left. Neals contract (and pay) is so nasty in a flat cap era...

Yeah, you never try to stop improving but you also don't make drastic moves to try and win now. The end goal is to be a Cup team, not a playoff team. Otherwise, you'll end up a treadmill team going nowhere fast and picking in the middle to end of the draft when you need more talent. I'm okay with this taking time as long as it works out in the end, which I think it will. The 2020 draft is going to be huge for us.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

@beekay414 What are your thoughts on Zary? Where do you have him ranked?

I had him at #15 when I did my rankings a few months ago but I'm not entirely sure where he'd rank if I redid them today. I like the kid. Hard working, two way 200 ft center with, most likely, top end #2 center upside. Lacks any standout tool and his skating kinda hinders his ceiling. He'll be an NHLer but the upside just isn't there compared to a lot of the rest of the class. He could go anywhere from #9 to #24 in this draft. The kind of guy, much like Lundell, that's probably loved more by NHL execs than draftniks like you and me. I think he'd be a great get for the Devils at 18 or 20 as the eventual Travis Zajac role replacement.

• Like 1