Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

lol sign me right the **** up on that one. I like PK but that's a no-brainer as long as it wasn't our first.

lol I know, same here. But I don't see us trading PK at all. I'd do it, but I think the team is probably thinking about how they can just have warm bodies back there at this point. 

I will say though...if we protect Subban in the expansion draft, I'm going to laugh my butt off. I realize that we have absolutely nobody to protect, but you have to let the last year of that deal go if you can. I'd seriously rather protect Mueller or Carrick heading into UFA than I would Subban lol

1 minute ago, Forge said:

lol I know, same here. But I don't see us trading PK at all. I'd do it, but I think the team is probably thinking about how they can just have warm bodies back there at this point. 

Oh we won't trade any of our dmen even if it made sense. Our youth that could potentially be NHLers simply isn't close enough to do so. Bahl, Okhotyuk and Walsh all need time in the AHL. Though, with the way Fitzy talked about Walsh, I could see him being an option should we explore a trade like that. He's not ready at all but, hey, it's an option. If we did that, we'd be putting a ton of pressure on Smith or Walsh to step into top 4 minutes immediately. Just doesn't make sense. 

I will say though...if we protect Subban in the expansion draft, I'm going to laugh my butt off. I realize that we have absolutely nobody to protect, but you have to let the last year of that deal go if you can. I'd seriously rather protect Mueller or Carrick heading into UFA than I would Subban lol

I haven't even gotten that far yet lol. I have no idea who is and isn't eligible for that draft and likely won't know until right before it happens.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

OEL might be on the outs in Arizona. I wonder if you guys would consider taking on that contract for a declining player. You'd get the kings ransom in terms of assets too. I mean if you're going to tread water for the next 3 seasons, atleast have Arizona's picks to keep yours company.

I don't like that contract whatsoever and they don't necessarily have the assets that makes me want to take it on. OEL is still a solid dman but I'm not paying THAT type of money for what's ideally a 2nd pairing dman. He's a low end #1 at this point and that's being generous. I get that a change of scenery might help but that dude looks like he wants no part of being on a hockey rink.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

OEL might be on the outs in Arizona. I wonder if you guys would consider taking on that contract for a declining player. You'd get the kings ransom in terms of assets too. I mean if you're going to tread water for the next 3 seasons, atleast have Arizona's picks to keep yours company.

I actually brought this up on the HF boards lol. I didn't realize what that contract looked like. I think that probably ends up precluding me from taking it on. It's not going to age well at this point given that his play may already be dipping and I don't know that they have the assets to compensate. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oh we won't trade any of our dmen even if it made sense. Our youth that could potentially be NHLers simply isn't close enough to do so. Bahl, Okhotyuk and Walsh all need time in the AHL. Though, with the way Fitzy talked about Walsh, I could see him being an option should we explore a trade like that. He's not ready at all but, hey, it's an option. If we did that, we'd be putting a ton of pressure on Smith or Walsh to step into top 4 minutes immediately. Just doesn't make sense. 

I did get some Carolina fans to agree to a trade of Palms + 3rd for Jake Bean + Nino. I think my love of Bean is probably driving that, but I'm not completely out on Nino yet (he tends to be good every other year), and I used him as a vet to placate the "can't have everyone be 23!" crowd. He's got some potential for 50 points, on contract 2 more years which isn't bad at all (5m), so basically a wash in year one with palms off the books. Bean is the AHL defenseman of the year, lefty, developed by Carolina who has a pretty good track record, and seriously averaged almost a point per game last year in the AHL (for comparison sake, not counting Kuokkanen who played mostly for Charlotte, Brett Seney was our top producer in bing at .72 ppg. Bean averaged .81). Yes, there's a chance that you get Tyson Barrie with Jake Bean when all is said and done, but I'm 100% okay with that given our need, his talent, what we'd be giving up, etc. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Side note, did you know Fitzy and Walsh's father were like roommates at some point? If I had known that, I never would have thought there was a chance of not being able to sign him. We all know how that works lol. 

• Like 1

I did get some Carolina fans to agree to a trade of Palms + 3rd for Jake Bean + Nino. I think my love of Bean is probably driving that too far, but I'm not completely out on Nino yet (he tends to be good every other year), and I used him as a vet to placate the "can't have everyone be 23!" crowd. He's got some potential for 50 points, on contract 2 more years which isn't bad at all (5m), so basically a wash in year one with palms off the books. Bean is the AHL defenseman of the year, lefty, developed by Carolina who has a pretty good track record, and seriously averaged almost a point per game last year in the AHL (for comparison sake, not counting Kuokkanen who played mostly for Charlotte, Brett Seney was our top producer in bing at .72 ppg. Bean averaged .81). Yes, there's a chance that you get Tyson Barrie with Jake Bean when all is said and done, but I'm 100% okay with that given our need, his talent, what we'd be giving up, etc. 

I don't know how well Palms fits Carolina though. He's a slower player and they like to get out and attack on the ice. It's part of the reason why I don't want Palmieri on a line with Hughes. 

Just now, Forge said:

Side note, did you know Fitzy and Walsh's father were like roommates at some point? If I had known that, I never would have thought there was a chance of not being able to sign him. We all know how that works lol. 

I did know that after reading more on Walsh haha

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

I don't know how well Palms fits Carolina though. He's a slower player and they like to get out and attack on the ice. It's part of the reason why I don't want Palmieri on a line with Hughes. 

I don't know that he fits any worse than Nino though, whos' basically playing a grinder wing game for them at this point. He's battling it out, playing a big man's game for them. I think the appeal is largely just getting someone who's better / more productive, and they get out of that Nino deal basically a year earlier. They also are going to have to leave Bean exposed at this point. Granted, they are going to have to leave a number of guys exposed, but I'd try and capitalize on that as much as possible. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't like that contract whatsoever and they don't necessarily have the assets that makes me want to take it on. OEL is still a solid dman but I'm not paying THAT type of money for what's ideally a 2nd pairing dman. He's a low end #1 at this point and that's being generous. I get that a change of scenery might help but that dude looks like he wants no part of being on a hockey rink.

I think if any team trades for him, they are hoping Tocchet's coaching is really hampering him. Seriously most players who have gone on that team have trended downwards. I still agree I dislike that contract, I don't think you get 4 years out of it before it's an albatross.

• Like 1