Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'd put it at 80%. I think we could find a way to get cap dumps and what not without using significant picks to do so. 

From a fan perspective, I want to make all three, obviously, but if we can get a top 4 dman or a top 6 winger, I'd be willing to move the lesser pick. I want to keep 2 of them tho. 

I've been very mindful of that as well, its one of the reasons I've balked at some of the trades. Unfortunately, no mid round picks kind of puts a damper on that. But I agree that I don't think you need to go all out there. I'm willing to go for Virtanen, but better believe I'm lowballing the hell out of that. Cernak I would love to have, and while I'd be willing to move a first for him possibly, I'd also lowball that first with the Islanders pick + prospect (we have a lot of guys coming up similar to that like Vukojevic who would work well with the TB, I think). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm just thinking that there are going to be some quality players available for one or two of those picks. That's why I'm curious. I mean, if Carolina is willing to part with Jake Bean for the lowest of the three, for example, I think that's hard to pass up. If you can get a top 6 or top 4 defender from a super cap strapped team, I think you have to do it (provided they have term). 

That's fair, for me however ELC's drive contender windows imo. The ability to add strong contributors on a controlled salary for 3 years is invaluable. If you have cap space to burn, I'd rather take on bad contracts who can produce(also leadership) and develop my young core. Preserve the ELCs and have potentially 3 good contributors for cheap when your team is taking the leap.

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm really hoping Vatenen hits the games played mark so we get Carolina's 3rd due to that fact. You're talking someone potentially like Tristen Robins, Tyler Kleven, Brock Faber or Jack Finley with that pick. 

This is also one of the more interesting overager classes I've seen in a while. So potentially you could have a 'lull' in interesting prospects for the 4th and 5th rounds, and start picking interesting players in the 6th and 7th again. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Lottery teams for Laf

Toronto

Edmonton

Pittsburgh

Winnipeg

Lol

Honestly it's ridiculous to think about, but I reckon he ends up on one of those 4 teams. Literally some playoff team is going to get the top ranked prospect in a deep draft. Absurd set up by the NHL when you think of it.

27 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Honestly it's ridiculous to think about, but I reckon he ends up on one of those 4 teams. Literally some playoff team is going to get the top ranked prospect in a deep draft. Absurd set up by the NHL when you think of it.

I'm rooting for Nashville or Minnesota just for something different. Plus, those teams could use some luck. They are the epitome of hockey purgatory. 

If Toronto or Winnipeg wins it, maybe the devils can benefit through trades lol

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm rooting for Nashville or Minnesota just for something different. Plus, those teams could use some luck. They are the epitome of hockey purgatory. 

If Toronto or Winnipeg wins it, maybe the devils can benefit through trades lol

If Edmonton doesn't win it, I definitely want Nashville or Minny to get it. I think I'd rather Nashville than Minny. Poile has worked his *** off to make Nashville into a legitimate hockey town, but they've never had a superstar forward. They've constantly drafted and developed D-man well, and had juuuust enough skill to make the playoffs. But never more. Laf would give them that superstar forward I think.

However, Laf being coached my Hynes. Yikes.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm very surprised. I think there is legit concern on the college season for sure

Yeah, I wonder what the plan is if the AHL doesn't happen. Would have to assume he'd be loaned out overseas for development purposes because he's like 2 years away from the big club.

I didn't want to quote this over on HF because I try not to post on the general boards but I'd be all over this tbh...

I’d still do Avs 1st round pick at ~28th + Zadorov for 18OA.

Gaining Zadorov while still having a shot at someone like Perreault/Gunler (questions, think Kaliyev) or Lapierre (injuries), potentially, makes it a no brainer for me. Even then, you're looking at possibly landing a dman like Ryan O'Rourke or a forward like Jake Neighbours or Jan Mysak (based on Bobbie Mac's board). I know you run the risk of losing out on Jarvis but that's the type of trade you make after the board falls. 

Edited by beekay414

I just realized that Emil Andrae is 67th on Bobbie Mac's list. That's a bit nuts. I know I had him at #47 on my original rankings but, good lord, he's not a 3rd round prospect.

Just based on Bobbie Mac's list, I'm really hoping we get that 3rd from Carolina. 

Edited by beekay414

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just saw. jfc...if there was a reason I didn't want them to win, it was probably so I wouldn't have to deal with that board 

I'd be more worried if they swapped picks with LAK and gained center depth in the process (Kupari/Thomas) considering how rich the Kings are there. I'm sure they'd rather have Laffy than another center.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I'd be more worried if they swapped picks with LAK and gained center depth in the process (Kupari/Thomas) considering how rich the Kings are there. I'm sure they'd rather have Laffy than another center.

That's why I haven't completely ruled out the Kings taking Stutzle (who has some positional flexibility), but yeah, the Rangers are literally just setting up to be Toronto 2.0 at this point.