Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Nico is so good. Literally just turned 20.

We need to get Bratt going though. I can't figure out why he's not scoring more goals right now. He's got an assist today, obviously, but it's so clear when watching him out on the ice how skilled he is, and he's actually close to a 50 point pace, but he's just not scoring goals for whatever reason, and we have seen that kid shoot...he's got a legit shot when he gets the chance. I suppose that some of that will come with s% regression to the mean - I can't imagine that he's going to be a sub 6% shooter. 

Also, do we have to wait for Nico's ELC to expire before we extend him, or can we give him a new deal after this season? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Did you realize that Severson was on pace for a 40 point season? Because I sure as hell didn't. Terrible defensive defenseman, but obviously quite capable offensively. 

He either needs to be traded or moved to the wing. He's a terrible blue liner. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I have no clue how ELC contracts work. 

If we can extend him, I'd get that done this year in tandem with Hall and zacha. I have no problems giving Nico 6 Mill next year if he'll take a lower aav to get huge raise an extra year. 

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He either needs to be traded or moved to the wing. He's a terrible blue liner. 

Maybe he'll actually have trade value this off season with a 40 point season. But I agree. We don't have an issue with offensive defensemen. Sami is here another year, I assume we re-sign butcher as an rfa. Ty Smith coming up as well. We need someone defensively responsible

Such an absolutely bizarre construction on the power play by Hynes. Seriously, Palms / Boyle / Zajac and Zacha on the ice at the same time. I'm confused by this construction. I feel like that's poorly constructed to get the best out of your best player on the ice (Palms). None of those guys is really a puck controller or noted as a passer, and the best of palms is a sit and shoot. 

On 1/6/2019 at 5:28 PM, Forge said:

Also, do we have to wait for Nico's ELC to expire before we extend him, or can we give him a new deal after this season? 

I'm not entirely positive, but I don't think you can sign an extension until the last year of your contract, and then it kicks in the following year.  For example, Eichel signed his contract in October of the last year of his ELC (17-18) and the 10M cap hit didn't kick in until this season.  

So if that's correct, they could have Nico sign an extension next year (post July 1?), have him play on his ELC hit for the 19-20 season and then his higher cap will kick in 20-21.  

Edited by flyers0909
  • Like 1