Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, Forge said:

Want to be terrified? The best defenseman we have in his own zone is Ben Lovejoy I'm pretty sure. Santini probably will be soon. Mueller seems like he could be, but he's so inconsistent, hard to know. 

It's hard to say anything definitively when the only guys that show promise on the defensive end are sitting in the press box half the damn time. There's zero reason we shouldn't be playing young guys over veterans. None. Hynes isn't coaching for his job, obviously, so we should be in a development stage now that we know last year was a fluke and solely fell on Taylor Hall playing like a god.

There's no reason we shouldn't be developing Santini, Mueller and Yakovlev on the blue line.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

It's hard to say anything definitively when the only guys that show promise on the defensive end are sitting in the press box half the damn time. There's zero reason we shouldn't be playing young guys over veterans. None. Hynes isn't coaching for his job, obviously, so we should be in a development stage now that we know last year was a fluke and solely fell on Taylor Hall playing like a god.

There's no reason we shouldn't be developing Santini, Mueller and Yakovlev on the blue line.

Agreed. They need to start selling off parts now. I have no problems with them raising the white flag at this point in the year. We have to climb over like 40 teams to make the playoffs. We have to win at a pace that was only matched by Tampa in the first half of the season for the rest of the year. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Agreed. They need to start selling off parts now. I have no problems with them raising the white flag at this point in the year. We have to climb over like 40 teams to make the playoffs. We have to win at a pace that was only matched by Tampa in the first half of the season for the rest of the year. 

Johansson definitely needs to get moved (and then move Severson to RW), I'd get whatever I could for KK and Boyle (and Stafford but nobody is even giving up a 7th for the guy), I'd listen on Vatanen considering he's not going to re-sign here after 2019-2020, and I would honestly see if someone would bite on Travis Zajac for his defense and own zone faceoff abilities. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Johansson definitely needs to get moved (and then move Severson to RW), I'd get whatever I could for KK and Boyle (and Stafford but nobody is even giving up a 7th for the guy), I'd listen on Vatanen considering he's not going to re-sign here after 2019-2020, and I would honestly see if someone would bite on Travis Zajac for his defense and own zone faceoff abilities. 

Zajac is actually having a pretty solid season overall. I'd be curious if anyone would be interest in him given the contract. 5.75m for the next two after this one isn't completely brutal or anything, and he's on a nearly 50 point average season. So there's some production there that's actually pretty close to being in line with what other 50 point producers are doing. I'd sell him off if someone is interested. I love Zajac, but at 33, he has no long term future here. I don't even need full market value. 

Boyle I'm content with keeping or trading. I think it most likely that the team will go to him and ask him whether or not he wants to be traded. With his health issues, and I believe that his son has health issues as well, I think the location could be big for him. So I have no problem is the team goes to him and asks if he wants to be traded and doesn't do it if he says no. Boyle is a quality guy, and I think it would be respectful and in the best interest of everyone involved to handle it in such a manner. His return would be pretty nominal anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Zajac is actually having a pretty solid season overall. I'd be curious if anyone would be interest in him given the contract. 5.75m for the next two after this one isn't completely brutal or anything, and he's on a nearly 50 point average season. So there's some production there that's actually pretty close to being in line with what other 50 point producers are doing. I'd sell him off if someone is interested. I love Zajac, but at 33, he has no long term future here. I don't even need full market value. 

Boyle I'm content with keeping or trading. I think it most likely that the team will go to him and ask him whether or not he wants to be traded. With his health issues, and I believe that his son has health issues as well, I think the location could be big for him. So I have no problem is the team goes to him and asks if he wants to be traded and doesn't do it if he says no. Boyle is a quality guy, and I think it would be respectful and in the best interest of everyone involved to handle it in such a manner. His return would be pretty nominal anyway. 

I'd think he'd welcome a move back to the Lightning. He'd make a pretty damn good 4th line C for them. I'd take that 7th they got from the Blackhawks in the Jan Rutta trade lol.

• Like 1

Have you seen how tightly bunched together the teams at the bottom are? Man, it's kind of impressive. Like, we are still in the running for Hughes, of course, particularly if we have a downward swing the second half, but we could just as easily end up picking like 11th. There are 9 teams between 37 - 42 points (we sit at 41). I think right now, we'd be picking 7th. I feel like we are playing so much worse than the 7th worst team in the league lol

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Have you seen how tightly bunched together the teams at the bottom are? Man, it's kind of impressive. Like, we are still in the running for Hughes, of course, particularly if we have a downward swing the second half, but we could just as easily end up picking like 11th. There are 9 teams between 37 - 42 points (we sit at 41). I think right now, we'd be picking 7th. I feel like we are playing so much worse than the 7th worst team in the league lol

So many damn tankers for Hughes lol

We are brutally bad and we're trying to win lmao. Just for that, we should be rewarded with the 1st pick.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

In another episode of wtf in the world is going on with NJ Devils goalie prospects...

Don't think his numbers reflect some of that (honestly don't know) but his numbers this year?

1.68 GAA, .944 SV%, 1 SO in 5 games for the Binghampton Devils
2.27 GAA, .926 SV%, 2 SO in 13 games for the U of Guelph (whoever that is?)

We waived him and still retained him LOL

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, beekay414 said:

In another episode of wtf in the world is going on with NJ Devils goalie prospects...

Don't think his numbers reflect some of that (honestly don't know) but his numbers this year?

lol wtf. 

I had seen that he had a really good start like last week, didn't know that it had carried on like that. Holy damn. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, beekay414 said:

I looked it up, its apparently a small university in Ontario of about 32K students. Shockingly, Wikipedia indicates that it has what is considered to be the 4th best Veterinary program in the world. Who knew? 

They are the "Gryphons".

Must say, I approve of the less traditional spelling there. 

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Said this in the NHL thread but I'm warming up to Dylan Cozens to go along with Hughes and Kakko. Cozens might pass up Kakko for me simply due to the fact that he's a centerman.

I really like Cozens as well. A little small, hasn't filled out as well as Dach yet at this point, but I think he's the better player. I have a hard time understanding why so many have Dach higher. I like him more than Turcotte as well. 

I think if we could land Cozens and then supplement him with somone like Kaliyev at the top of the second (or bottom of the first if we made a trade), I'd be super stoked. You're right - if Kakko is a center, I think it's a no brainer for me. But man, it's hard to draft a winger specific guy there. Obviously, I love Kakko, but I understand being wary of that. So if I'm passing up Kakko, I'd love to get Kaliyev to make up for it. Granted, they're different wings, but whatever. His offensive game is legit. 

We need to give Coleman more opportunities in overtime & shootout. 

Also, holy hell what a steal that contract could be if he manages to keep playing like this. I thought it was the Wood contract that could have some upside. Didn't expect this from Coleman. 3 years 5.4 million, and he may score 25 goals this year and be one of hte best PK guys in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

We need to give Coleman more opportunities in overtime & shootout. 

Also, holy hell what a steal that contract could be if he manages to keep playing like this. I thought it was the Wood contract that could have some upside. Didn't expect this from Coleman. 3 years 5.4 million, and he may score 25 goals this year and be one of hte best PK guys in the league. 

Took him some time but he's showing why we kept faith in him. Late bloomer to the max.