Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

He threw it out there again, and we did have some offensive zone time, but only one really good scoring opportunity on a nice pass from Palms, but they annoyed the hell out of me on the same power play because behind the play, a devils player and ducks player got tangled up and were out of the play all together. 4 on 3 in the offensive zone, and what do we do? We slow it down and hold until they are both back in the mix. That's super annoying. We should have been pushing the attack at that point. 4 on 3 is a lot of open ice, and that's always going to favor the team in the attacking zone. There's no reason to let that opportunity slip by. 

He's so lost on the PP without Hall to just carry the puck as fast as possible lol. Our PP has to be the ugliest thing ever. It lived and died by Hall last year (and to somewhat an extent - Butcher) but, even then, it was gross.

• Like 1

I wonder what it would take to get RNH from the Oilers. He still produces points, even though some of his other metrics aren't very good (don't want him taking a pivotal faceoff...) but he would be a guy that could finally slot in to that 2c role for us if we wanted. The oilers are in some pretty disastrous straits with their current roster construction and given how bad they are. His contract isn't all that bad at 6 million, and he's locked up 2 more years. Could we give up something like a Wood / McLeod / Draft pick package to make that work? 

Darnell Nurse is another guy I like, would be willing to take a chance on, but they would be less likely to give him up I think, given his youth, relatively low cost and short contract length. 

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

1 goal for each $1 Million he's stealing from us per year over the next 3 seasons.

I actually watched the videos of the goals. A couple were not something he could have really done anything with, but the other 4 could have realistically been stopped. The type you can let in one of, but not 4 lol

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually watched the videos of the goals. A couple were not something he could have really done anything with, but the other 4 could have realistically been stopped. The toie you can let in one of, but not 4 lol

Reminds me of 2008-09 Brodeur. That's the year he lost the series to the Canes in Game 7 by giving up 2 really weak goals in the last 80 seconds of the game.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Reminds me of 2008-09 Brodeur. That's the year he lost the series to the Canes in Game 7 by giving up 2 really weak goals in the last 80 seconds of the game.

Honestly just feel bad for the dude (and us) at this point 

• Like 1

The more I think about it, I think I'd want Bowen Byram if we don't land Hughes.

Smith and Byram would give us one hell of a future on the blue line. Then you just have to hope one or two of Sissons, Walsh, Davies, Chainey or Bernard prove to be more than just AHL fodder and you have a foundation for the future. 

That's obviously not including some of the youth on the Devils blue line currently either. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The more I think about it, I think I'd want Bowen Byram if we don't land Hughes.

Smith and Byram would give us one hell of a future on the blue line. Then you just have to hope one or two of Sissons, Walsh, Davies, Chainey or Bernard prove to be more than just AHL fodder and you have a foundation for the future. 

That's obviously not including some of the youth on the Devils blue line currently either. 

I think Byram is a realistic target even if we somehow end up in the latter half of the top 10. It seems like people are all over the place with him. I'll be curious to see what the team puts more emphasis on - a 2c, or the defense. Both are black holes and neither can really be remedied through free agency. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think Byram is a realistic target even if we somehow end up in the latter half of the top 10. It seems like people are all over the place with him. I'll be curious to see what the team puts more emphasis on - a 2c, or the defense. Both are black holes and neither can really be remedied through free agency. 

Yeah but I think its easier to find a 2C in the trade market than a top pairing blue liner.

I love Zajac, and given the lack of centers we have it'd be a curious move, but if we want to trade him, I don't think he'll ever be more tradeable than he will be at this deadline.  With his goal and assist tonight, he's got 29 points, which puts him on just about a 50 point season pace. His salary at that kind of production is fine and given he's a solid faceoff man, he's got value to teams that can afford him financially. Given that he's 33, under contract two more years at that 5.75m hit, it's not the craziest move to ever make.