Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Damn, I forgot the Senators don't even own their pick. Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuutal. 

Yup. They could have given it to Colorado last year. It's possible (maybe likely) that the avs wend up with McKinnon, Rantanen and Hughes/Kakko

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to lie, really wanted that win for Cory tonight. He played well, and it's been like 14 months since a win for him

Meh, any L is good at this point. We suck so we might as well do our damnedest to get the top lottery spot which would guarantee us a top 4 pick. Gives us the chance at any one of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens or Byram.

Zacha hit double digits in goals today. 

Serious question, how do we approach his restricted free agency? Give him a short term small deal (say like 2.25 AAV for 3 years or something), or do we go for broke, pay him over what he's worth for long term, and hope he works it out and potentially get some real nice value at the back of the contract? Say like 5-6 years, 4.75 aav? 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Zacha hit double digits in goals today. 

Serious question, how do we approach his restricted free agency? Give him a short term small deal (say like 2.25 AAV for 3 years or something), or do we go for broke, pay him over what he's worth for long term, and hope he works it out and potentially get some real nice value at the back of the contract? Say like 5-6 years, 4.75 aav? 

Pay him short term and see if he continues to develop.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Pay him short term and see if he continues to develop.

I think that is the direction we will go. I think something similar to what Miles Wood got, as crazy as that sounds. i mean, even with Zacha's lack of production, I'd rather have him than Wood, but Wood was coming off a nearly 20 goal season and I think that really helped him out. Though next year, I'm hoping we give Wood some PK time to take over Boyle's role there. He's does really have a ton of skill, but damn that speed will wreak havoc on power plays. I still think that he's a guy that could develop into Grabner, and part of Grabner's appeal has always been what he can do on the kill. 

Just some things I've thought today:

Murphy was not a complete dumpster fire on the back end. 

I despise Marjo on the powerplay. I get the skill level, and that he's actually pretty good, but man, it seems like he sucks all the life out of the powerplay by just holding the puck for long stretches of time on the wing. He doesn't force any action, does make the defense move. He just sits there and holds the puck. It's such a waste of time. I don't mind holding it, but you have to create some movement and flow. Make the defense move and tire out. Also, our power play as a whole is hilarious. The quickest way to kill any momentum we have at any given time is to simply give us a power play lol. 

Our offense is really, really bad right now, and defensively, in our own end, we are a hot mess. It feels like whenever we are in our own end, our entire team just panics. 

• Like 1