Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So here's my mock off-season (yes, already)...

2019 Trade Deadline
~ Trade Travis Zajac to the New York Islanders for RW Josh Ho-Sang and Calgary's 2019 2nd round pick
~ Trade Marcus Johansson and Brian Boyle for picks (literally anything).

2019 NHL Draft
We land the 3rd pick and end up with Dylan Cozens

2019 Free Agency
~ Sign C Kevin Hayes to a 4 year, ~$18 Million contract
~ Sign LW Ryan Dzingel to a 3 year, ~$14 Million contract

Depth Chart
Taylor Hall - Nico Hischier - Jesper Bratt
Ryan Dzingel - Kevin Hayes - Kyle Palmieri
Blake Coleman - Dylan Cozens - Josh Ho-Sang
Pavel Zacha - Brent Seney - Miles Wood

Ty Smith - Sami Vatanen
Andy Greene - Damon Severson
Will Butcher - Mirco Mueller

Mackenzie Blackwood - Cory Schneider/Cam Johnson

Thoughts @Forge

I like it. I really like the signing of Dzingel, though I Think he's going to get a lot more than that. He's on pace for like a 60+ point season, and if he hits that, you can almost lock him in at 6 million per.  Assuming that we ride with Mac, I think we may as well keep Cory on the roster like you have there. As a back up he's pretty much whatever. I'd rather have him for another year as a horrible back up and chew threw another year of that contract as opposed to buying him out, especially since we don't need the money right now. I love the selection of Cozens...I really want us to land Hughes, KK, or Cozens. Sadly, I don't love any of our center prospects, which is really why I'm pushing for one of the Centers. Dach is fine if we settle there, but I'd prefer to avoid Turcotte. I'm ready to call it quits on Mikey - I just don't know what he is at the NHL level, and I'd rather unload him while he has some semblance of value as a prospect. I like the wingers we have in the system, but we are really weak in the middle in my opinion, especially with Zacha not panning out so far. 

There's still a part of me that really wishes we could trade Severson. I guarantee he has value out there for teams in trade, and I'd love to have a more solid defensive guy back there. I don't think we are that bad off offensive on the blue line with Sami, Smith and Butcher, so Severson is really superfluous back there. 

The defense there is still going to be an issue, but that set up gives us two legit scoring lines, and then if you think that Coleman's season is halfway real moving forward, that third line and penalty kill is going to be another set up that can put up points. 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

In an AHL Dman for AHL Dman trade, we sent Michael Kapla to the Wild for Ryan Murphy.

We just turned an undrafted free agent into a first round pick!! Booyah!

Actually an interesting trade. Murphy is a year older than Kapla (who was already old), so maybe just a swap of side (lefty for righty)? Or are we banking on Murphy finally doing something at 25 years old? Curious trade, not really sure what we were gunning for here. They're also both only signed through this year, but Kapla would have still been restricted while Murphy is a UFA, and Murphy's minor salary is like 3x what Kapla's is. 

Maybe we just think that we are going to need Murphy up with the club and didn't want to put Kapla in there? 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I like it. I really like the signing of Dzingel, though I Think he's going to get a lot more than that. He's on pace for like a 60+ point season, and if he hits that, you can almost lock him in at 6 million per.  Assuming that we ride with Mac, I think we may as well keep Cory on the roster like you have there. As a back up he's pretty much whatever. I'd rather have him for another year as a horrible back up and chew threw another year of that contract as opposed to buying him out, especially since we don't need the money right now. I love the selection of Cozens...I really want us to land Hughes, KK, or Cozens. Sadly, I don't love any of our center prospects, which is really why I'm pushing for one of the Centers. Dach is fine if we settle there, but I'd prefer to avoid Turcotte. I'm ready to call it quits on Mikey - I just don't know what he is at the NHL level, and I'd rather unload him while he has some semblance of value as a prospect. I like the wingers we have in the system, but we are really weak in the middle in my opinion, especially with Zacha not panning out so far. 

There's still a part of me that really wishes we could trade Severson. I guarantee he has value out there for teams in trade, and I'd love to have a more solid defensive guy back there. I don't think we are that bad off offensive on the blue line with Sami, Smith and Butcher, so Severson is really superfluous back there. 

The defense there is still going to be an issue, but that set up gives us two legit scoring lines, and then if you think that Coleman's season is halfway real moving forward, that third line and penalty kill is going to be another set up that can put up points. 

Yeah, I had a hard time projecting Dzingel. Whatever he wants, give it to him. Let's just use that as my off-season contract projection. I also really want to try and buy low on Hayes. He's still young enough to fit and be a value signing. 

I didn't see anything in free agency in regards to defense so I just avoided addressing it at all outside of promoting Smith. If we can trade Severson, I'm all for it. I just don't know what his market would be.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

We just turned an undrafted free agent into a first round pick!! Booyah!

Actually an interesting trade. Murphy is actually a year older than Kapla (who was already old), so maybe just a swap of side (lefty for righty)? Or are we banking on Murphy finally doing something at 25 years old? Curiously interesting trade. They're also only signed through this year, but Kapla would have still been restricted while Murphy is a UFA. 

I think it was more to do with our current slew of injuries on the blue line. We probably trust Murphy to fill in for a short time than we do Kapla. Either way, the deal made sense on our end.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I had a hard time projecting Dzingel. Whatever he wants, give it to him. Let's just use that as my off-season contract projection. I also really want to try and buy low on Hayes. He's still young enough to fit and be a value signing. 

I didn't see anything in free agency in regards to defense so I just avoided addressing it at all outside of promoting Smith. If we can trade Severson, I'm all for it. I just don't know what his market would be.

It's kind of weird that some of the most sought after free agents are going to be coming from Ottawa though, right? Dzingel, Stone and Duchene are all free agents. Plus, don't they lack their first round pick this year because they decided to keep it last year rather than give it to Colorado? I mean, if they lose all three of them, and don't get to have their (likely) top 5 pick, they could be historically bad next year. 

The problem is that we really aren't a free agent hotbed, which is what sucks. Even if we can throw money to players, top tier players tend not to sign with New Jersey lol. I could see us signing someone like Tyler Myers on the blue line. A guy who isn't top tier, but probably gets a contract like one and follows the money. 

Just now, Forge said:

It's kind of weird that some of the most sought after free agents are going to be coming from Ottawa though, right? Dzingel, Stone and Duchene are all free agents. Plus, don't they lack their first round pick this year because they decided to keep it last year rather than give it to Colorado? I mean, if they lose all three of them, and don't get to have their (likely) top 5 pick, they could be historically bad next year. 

The problem is that we really aren't a free agent hotbed, which is what sucks. Even if we can throw money to players, top tier players tend not to sign with New Jersey lol. I could see us signing someone like Tyler Myers on the blue line. A guy who isn't top tier, but probably gets a contract like one and follows the money. 

Yeah, I agree, but I don't think Dzingel will be pursued like a top tier free agent so we might have a shot. If we get lucky and land the #1 pick and get Hughes, there's a real chance that changes as well. Who wouldn't want to play near NYC with Triple H (Hall, Hischier, Hughes). 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I agree, but I don't think Dzingel will be pursued like a top tier free agent so we might have a shot. If we get lucky and land the #1 pick and get Hughes, there's a real chance that changes as well. Who wouldn't want to play near NYC with Triple H (Hall, Hischier, Hughes). 

The good thing is, we aren't that far. I mean, obviously we played way over our heads last year and were carried with Herculean effort by Hall, but we did make the playoffs (and were in the playoffs the entire year - we were never out of playoff positioning). Obviously, a lot of this will hinge on Mac, and I'd like Nico to be a little more productive offensively (he may hit 60 points this year, which is really nice growth from last year given how much of that he's doing without Hall this year, but I really want him to be a 75 point player if he's going to be the 1A on this team), but we have youth, we have money to spend (well, in some regards - I'd assume Taylor gets about 10 mill a season after next year, I expect Nico to get around 7 million per season, so that will eat a chunk of the space, not to mention some others who will need contracts and get raises), and honestly, I think we have some decent depth on the wings. We need a 2c, and maybe just two competent defensive defensemen. We play a fun style (well, within reason...obviously our coaching strategy has been pretty terrible this year, but its an open, fluid, skating style that should appeal to quite a few players). When you add in a likely top 5 pick that could potentially come in and play right away on this roster, I'm bullish on this team if we can add just a piece or two like Dzingel. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The good thing is, we aren't that far. I mean, obviously we played way over our heads last year and were carried with Herculean effort by Hall, but we did make the playoffs (and were in the playoffs the entire year - we were never out of playoff positioning). Obviously, a lot of this will hinge on Mac, and I'd like Nico to be a little more productive offensively (he may hit 60 points this year, which is really nice growth from last year given how much of that he's doing without Hall this year, but I really want him to be a 75 point player if he's going to be the 1A on this team), but we have youth, we have money to spend (well, in some regards - I'd assume Taylor gets about 10 mill a season after next year, I expect Nico to get around 7 million per season, so that will eat a chunk of the space, not to mention some others who will need contracts and get raises), and honestly, I think we have some decent depth on the wings. We need a 2c, and maybe just two competent defensive defensemen. We play a fun style (well, within reason...obviously our coaching strategy has been pretty terrible this year, but its an open, fluid, skating style that should appeal to quite a few players). When you add in a likely top 5 pick that could potentially come in and play right away on this roster, I'm bullish on this team if we can add just a piece or two like Dzingel. 

Oh yeah, we're not totally screwed like Ottawa is. We're literally a tweak or two from being a bonafide contender. If Blackwood proves to be legit and we sure up the blue line with 2 or 3 guys (including Smith), then we're right in the thick of things. 

I do really want Dzingel though. He'd be my #1 priority this offseason.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Also, Nico hitting 60 points with this group means a very promising future for him and a, likely, 75-80 point ceiling with Hall as his line mate all year.

That's what I'm hoping for. Still wish he would shoot the puck more though lol. 

But seriously, I think I've been more impressed with him this year than I was last year, which is saying something. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's what I'm hoping for. Still wish he would shoot the puck more though lol. 

But seriously, I think I've been more impressed with him this year than I was last year, which is saying something. 

He's a damn stud. That's without question. Much better than Nolan Patrick. Sorry @flyers0909.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He's a damn stud. That's without question. Much better than Nolan Patrick. Sorry @flyers0909.

Not like we had a choice, unlike you guys in 2015 :D

NP has definitely been underwhelming so far but to be fair he is 20 years old and his game is really starting to come around.  6 points in his last 5 and is scoring at a low 2nd line level at 5v5 on the season.  Hopefully once Simmonds is gone he goes back to PP1 and he has another strong 2nd half. 

At least we both have goalies now!

Edited by flyers0909