Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

So heading into next year, the two most likely prospects to come in and make an impact have to be Smith and Boqvist, right? Smith obviously has been shredding juniors, and Boqvist is having a really good season playing against Full grown men for the SHL (top 30 in scoring, which is nice). Boqvist would seem like a very natural fit on the other wing opposite Bratt...but man, we are really, really going to need a center to slot into that position that will mesh well with those two guys. I'm not sure that we have that person on the roster yet. Zacha would seem like a bad fit, and I love the Zajac / Coleman / Wood line as is. 

An interesting guy I think that could be intriguing? Brayden Schenn. He's having a terrible year, but he's under contract one more year at a respectable figure and he's only 27 still. I know that we aren't going anywhere this year, but honestly, if the Blues are going to sell Schenn off because they fall off, I really think that would be an interesting move for us to make. I know it's not typical for sellers such as us to buy a player at the deadline, but I'd be really interested in making a move like that if that were the case. I'm not sure if we have the property pieces to make that sort of trade, though. 

Was also reading through a Pronman chat on the athletic. He thinks Kappo is the most likely to instantly come in next season and be a top 6 forward, along with Hughes (he's unsure about Hughes' size allowing him to do so). The other person he had listed as possibly being able to do that is Cozens. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So heading into next year, the two most likely prospects to come in and make an impact have to be Smith and Boqvist, right? Smith obviously has been shredding juniors, and Boqvist is having a really good season playing against Full grown men for the SHL (top 30 in scoring, which is nice). Boqvist would seem like a very natural fit on the other wing opposite Bratt...but man, we are really, really going to need a center to slot into that position that will mesh well with those two guys. I'm not sure that we have that person on the roster yet. Zacha would seem like a bad fit, and I love the Zajac / Coleman / Wood line as is. 

An interesting guy I think that could be intriguing? Brayden Schenn. He's having a terrible year, but he's under contract one more year at a respectable figure and he's only 27 still. I know that we aren't going anywhere this year, but honestly, if the Blues are going to sell Schenn off because they fall off, I really think that would be an interesting move for us to make. I know it's not typical for sellers such as us to buy a player at the deadline, but I'd be really interested in making a move like that if that were the case. I'm not sure if we have the property pieces to make that sort of trade, though. 

Another option is free agency. I'd kick the tires on a Kevin Hayes, Brock Nelson or Ryan Dzingel type considering there's no way we're getting Duchene. Though, I'm not sure exactly whether Dzingel is more of a winger than a center.

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was also reading through a Pronman chat on the athletic. He thinks Kappo is the most likely to instantly come in next season and be a top 6 forward, along with Hughes (he's unsure about Hughes' size allowing him to do so). The other person he had listed as possibly being able to do that is Cozens. 

Yeah, Kappo is coming over immediately. He's obviously going #2 at this rate. LIS before, if we pick #3 or lower, I'm more than fine going with Bowen Byram. Cozens is intriguing though as he'd fill that 2C spot on day 1. I just don't want to pass on another potential elite defenseman for a need again.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, Forge said:

I love Zajac, and given the lack of centers we have it'd be a curious move, but if we want to trade him, I don't think he'll ever be more tradeable than he will be at this deadline.  With his goal and assist tonight, he's got 29 points, which puts him on just about a 50 point season pace. His salary at that kind of production is fine and given he's a solid faceoff man, he's got value to teams that can afford him financially. Given that he's 33, under contract two more years at that 5.75m hit, it's not the craziest move to ever make. 

I was just thinking about this...

What kind of deal would we be able to pull off for Zajac? What contending club has a defensive C/faceoff stud need and can afford his contract? I know we can find a suitor for MarJo and possibly Boyle but I'm not sure what the move is with Travis. Is there a contending team with a younger forward that's not living up to his contract that we could target? 

EDIT - Maybe Buffalo? Not quite sure on the young talent but we could do something like Zajac for Pominville and a 2020 2nd or 2021 3rd???

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I was just thinking about this...

What kind of deal would we be able to pull off for Zajac? What contending club has a defensive C/faceoff stud need and can afford his contract? I know we can find a suitor for MarJo and possibly Boyle but I'm not sure what the move is with Travis. Is there a contending team with a younger forward that's not living up to his contract that we could target? 

EDIT - Maybe Buffalo? Not quite sure on the young talent but we could do something like Zajac for Pominville and a 2020 2nd or 2021 3rd???

I haven't been following other teams a ton so far this season with regards to need and the like, but I remember people saying that Carolina was really light at the center position, and they have a ton of cap space. They aren't exactly a playoff favorite, but they are in range. They are strong on the back end, but then again, they are rumored to be shopping Hamilton, so maybe they are already primed to be sellers. 

But how about this one? The Islanders. Tops in the metro. Lou drafted Travis. He'd be a natural replacement for Nelson as they wouldn't need to re-sign him at that point (Fippula is also a free agent).  They have a ton of space to work with. Someone like Josh Ho-Sang could be available - he's been pretty unhappy with the islanders, and they apparently have no intention of actually playing him in the NHL. He's a little older, not much of a trade chip, but he's a guy that I would take as part of some sort of deal. Maybe we can get someone from last year's draft class like Bode? I wasn't a huge fan of his, but he'd still be one of the top prospects in our system on defense. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I haven't been following other teams a ton so far this season with regards to need and the like, but I remember people saying that Carolina was really light at the center position, and they have a ton of cap space. They aren't exactly a playoff favorite, but they are in range. They are strong on the back end, but then again, they are rumored to be shopping Hamilton, so maybe they are already primed to be sellers. 

But how about this one? The Islanders. Tops in the metro. Lou drafted Travis. He'd be a natural replacement for Nelson as they wouldn't need to re-sign him at that point (Fippula is also a free agent).  They have a ton of space to work with. Someone like Josh Ho-Sang could be available - he's been pretty unhappy with the islanders, and they apparently have no intention of actually playing him in the NHL. He's a little older, not much of a trade chip, but he's a guy that I would take as part of some sort of deal. Maybe we can get someone from last year's draft class like Bode? I wasn't a huge fan of his, but he'd still be one of the top prospects in our system on defense. 

I'd love to trade with the Isles. Ho-Sang and Calgary's 2019 2nd works for me if they don't want to move Wilde.

• Like 1

So here's my mock off-season (yes, already)...

2019 Trade Deadline
~ Trade Travis Zajac to the New York Islanders for RW Josh Ho-Sang and Calgary's 2019 2nd round pick
~ Trade Marcus Johansson and Brian Boyle for picks (literally anything).

2019 NHL Draft
We land the 3rd pick and end up with Dylan Cozens

2019 Free Agency
~ Sign C Kevin Hayes to a 4 year, ~$18 Million contract
~ Sign LW Ryan Dzingel to a 3 year, ~$14 Million contract

Depth Chart
Taylor Hall - Nico Hischier - Jesper Bratt
Ryan Dzingel - Kevin Hayes - Kyle Palmieri
Blake Coleman - Dylan Cozens - Josh Ho-Sang
Pavel Zacha - Brent Seney - Miles Wood

Ty Smith - Sami Vatanen
Andy Greene - Damon Severson