Around the NFL

Forge

47 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I loved Harbaugh. He is completely insane, but I loved him as our head coach. I think with calling the owner out in front of all the players and things like that he dug his own grave, but I was always excited with Harbaugh. He does seem to have that ‘very good coach who can’t get over the hump’ feel to him though; he was the same way at Stanford with Luck. I couldn’t be happier with the HC/GM combo we have now, but when Jimmy got fired I was irate. Trent should have been the guy that got the axe. I’m not too upset because we may not be where we are now had we not fired Harbaugh, but Jed made a mistake keeping Baalke instead of Harbaugh, and I will stand by that statement until the day I die.

giphy.gif

Agreed. You don't fire your guy who dug your team out of the armpit of the NFL. The whole thing ended so bad. 

On 7/30/2018 at 11:24 AM, Forge said:

Anyone paying attention to this roquan / bears hold out? Pretty crazy what the bears are trying to do. For those that don't know, the bears are basically trying to include a provision in his contact that they can recoup guaranteed money or void guaranteed money if Smith is suspended for the new helmet contact rules. 

I'm totally on Smith's side here. Given that he's a heat seeking missile of a linebacker, playing a position and style that is often subject to bang bang plays like that, is never agree to that provision and give the bears that kind of ownership

I don't think their language specifically states anything about the new rule. It's probably old language saying they can take back guaranteed money in the event he is suspended. What roquan is looking for is them to change their standard language to reflect the change in rules. Not unreasonable but I can understand why they wouldn't want a blanket clause with an exemption 

I'm sure these headlines have a lot of players from different agencies who have recently signed deals to scratch their head and wonder about their representation, if they have not received the exemption that Smith seeks. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I honestly have no idea what the raiders are playing at in this whole mess. 

Reminds me of the kwahi leonard debaucle. Both are black, white, and grey/silver teams with old school coaches with extremely talented, quiet super superstar types who for some unknown reason feel spurned by their team and are going to force their way out with one year remaining on their contract.. 

Let's go get the guy! I'd be calling everyday 

I'm fine with trading a couple firsts for Mack then signing him to a mega contract if we can. He's an animal at the second most important position in the game, what more could you want? 

43 minutes ago, Geek said:

I'm fine with trading a couple firsts for Mack then signing him to a mega contract if we can. He's an animal at the second most important position in the game, what more could you want? 

I just get this feeling that something behind the scenes.. something that outside fans..  are not aware of.

Something that is a big warning sign that we are not privy to. 

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I just get this feeling that something behind the scenes.. something that outside fans..  are not aware of.

Something that is a big warning sign that we are not privy to. 

Personally just think it's gruden being gruden. I mean, they haven't even talked? Just sounds like something about Mack (maybe the hold out or something along those lines) rubs him the wrong way

Just now, Forge said:

Personally just think it's gruden being gruden. I mean, they haven't even talked? Just sounds like something about Mack (maybe the hold out or something along those lines) rubs him the wrong way

Definitely some kind of "rubbing the wrong way" in this, yeah. 

I'm texting my friend who works with the Raiders about Mack. Only FF gets this inside info!

I have heard from said friend that Mack, in general is pretty cold and bristly. He and Cooper are intimidatingly intense people. So take that for what it's worth. 

Just now, John232 said:

I'm texting my friend who works with the Raiders about Mack. Only FF gets this inside info!

I have heard from said Friend that Mack, in general is pretty cold and bristly. He and Cooper are intimidatingly intense people. So take that for what it's worth. 

Interesting. It is kind of like kawhi lol

Literally just got a response back. Very likely he has no interest in playing in Oakland but said he doesn't think they are at the point of trading him, but not sure it's NOT going to reach that point either. 

On 7/31/2018 at 6:56 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

Jim Harbaugh I do not miss. He had a window, however brief, and it slammed shut without success--close, but unsuccessful as far as getting the next Lombardi. His inflexibility is part of why it slammed shut. Really enjoyed 2011, his 1st year, but '12 was disappointing and we all know how the rest went...ugh. 

Sounds like Mack is not appreciated...should we toss an offer across the Bay? Would be intriguing if we did.

When the clock hit triple zeroes in Atlanta and the 49ers were going to the Super Bowl instead of losing again in the NFC Championship game like the prior year you weren't happy?

On 7/31/2018 at 8:54 AM, Gore Whore 21 said:

I loved Harbaugh. He is completely insane, but I loved him as our head coach. I think with calling the owner out in front of all the players and things like that he dug his own grave, but I was always excited with Harbaugh. He does seem to have that ‘very good coach who can’t get over the hump’ feel to him though; he was the same way at Stanford with Luck. I couldn’t be happier with the HC/GM combo we have now, but when Jimmy got fired I was irate. Trent should have been the guy that got the axe. I’m not too upset because we may not be where we are now had we not fired Harbaugh, but Jed made a mistake keeping Baalke instead of Harbaugh, and I will stand by that statement until the day I die.

giphy.gif

Jed still has a long ways to go to redeem his decision for me. Things look optimistic now, but the results still aren't here. Some quality coaches never got as far as Harbaugh did in his four years coaching the team. Jim may have made his own bed, but it's clear now (well I wanted this before it was clear) that Baalke needed to GTFO first. 

6 hours ago, John232 said:

Literally just got a response back. Very likely he has no interest in playing in Oakland but said he doesn't think they are at the point of trading him, but not sure it's NOT going to reach that point either. 

Oakland would beyond stupid not just giving Mack what he wants. I hear they're strapped for cash though so whatever.

Carr > Mack > head coach > rest of the team. 

Thinking more about this Mack trade, what if we offered McG as part of our package? They say gruden really loved the guy.. I know it's not ideal since we are super thin at T as it is, but McG, a first rounder, AA/Garnett (not both, whichever they wanted) for Mack, Donald Penn (helping them clear a ton of money off the books) would be a pretty good trade for everyone (except maybe Garoppolo lol). Maybe add a second to get a future third (2020) back if they felt like they needed more. 

Donald Penn would then be released and we would have to figure out who the hell will play RT this year, but our DL would instantly be the most talented in the NFL. Thomas, Buckner, Mack with warner and Foster behind them and tartt, Witherspoon Colbert on the back end? I'm thinking that's a top 5 defense for the next 5 years. 

LETS MAKE A DEAL

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Thinking more about this Mack trade, what if we offered McG as part of our package? They say gruden really loved the guy.. I know it's not ideal since we are super thin at T as it is, but McG, a first rounder, AA/Garnett (not both, whichever they wanted) for Mack, Donald Penn (helping them clear a ton of money off the books) would be a pretty good trade for everyone (except maybe Garoppolo lol). Maybe add a second to get a future third (2020) back if they felt like they needed more. 

Donald Penn would then be released and we would have to figure out who the hell will play RT this year, but our DL would instantly be the most talented in the NFL. Thomas, Buckner, Mack with warner and Foster behind them and tartt, Witherspoon Colbert on the back end? I'm thinking that's a top 5 defense for the next 5 years. 

LETS MAKE A DEAL

McG just got here, and apparently has a very promising future with Shanahan and Jimmy G involved. I'd rather trade Foster. I know he just got here as well, but he's had injury problems,  off the field problems, and just plays a position that is a lot lower on the scale in terms of difference maker. Also, Staley is almost out the door. Would be nice to still have one cornerstone tackle going forward. 

If it's a quality QB, corner, or offensive tackle (if you already have a quality QB) in their prime I don't think I could pull the trigger. 

Archived