Home Improvement/Remodel Thread

smetana34

20 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Anyone have tips for repelling mice? I had a big problem last fall and used peppermint oil to try to ward them off, and killed about 20-30 with mouse traps. I just now saw another so they are coming back again. 

Biggest thing is that you've got to stop them from getting in. I think rodent exterminators aren't worth the money, personally. They have more experience for sure, but ultimately, the solution to a mice problem is always the same: block all entry where possible, and set up traps where it isn't/if they are already in. You can do that yourself. You really do need to inspect every nook and cranny though. Attics, basements, behind appliances, everywhere. After seeing signs of them in the house, take note of where they like to be and what they like to get into. Baiting traps successfully is easy if you can tell what they like.

And MWil's advice is good as well. I was this close to adopting a cat about a year and a half ago when we had a mouse in our house. They gotta be the real rough-and-tumble, mouse-hunting, farm cats though. Even shelter cats that look a little rough can be complete sweethearts with not a hunting bone in their body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Biggest thing is that you've got to stop them from getting in. I think rodent exterminators aren't worth the money, personally. They have more experience for sure, but ultimately, the solution to a mice problem is always the same: block all entry where possible, and set up traps where it isn't/if they are already in. You can do that yourself. You really do need to inspect every nook and cranny though. Attics, basements, behind appliances, everywhere. After seeing signs of them in the house, take note of where they like to be and what they like to get into. Baiting traps successfully is easy if you can tell what they like.

And MWil's advice is good as well. I was this close to adopting a cat about a year and a half ago when we had a mouse in our house. They gotta be the real rough-and-tumble, mouse-hunting, farm cats though. Even shelter cats that look a little rough can be complete sweethearts with not a hunting bone in their body.

Keeping doors sealed and food safely stored will do wonders, but even then there are almost always ways in - cats solve this issue.

I swear by farm cats, 90% of farmers can tell you straight up if mama was a good hunter. If so, they do well in groups of 2. There’s a reason they live in barns.

They’re nocturnal so prepare yourself to wake up to a meowing cat who drops 3 mice at your feet and wants affirmation of their well done job and the gifts they delivered.

On 7/9/2024 at 1:59 PM, Heimdallr said:

Anyone have tips for repelling mice? I had a big problem last fall and used peppermint oil to try to ward them off, and killed about 20-30 with mouse traps. I just now saw another so they are coming back again. 

Acquire a Cat.  They'll **** them dumbass mouses up bigtime.

Unless you get a defective one.  That happens sometimes.  Some cats are just weird and broken.

No, I will never have a cat in my house. Not again. Never again. I'd rather eat a live mouse myself than live with one of those monsters ever again. I did it for 7 years and if I have to do it again for even 1 day I will renounce society and live in the woods. Or shoot myself into the sun. 

• 2 months later...

So we are out of the house buying/selling market.  We had a contract on one place to go from 2300 square feet to 3900.  Our house, despite being one with views of the Chesapeake Bay, did not sell.  We had to get a new HVAC right in the middle, and got one hell of a deal, but it did sap our motivation to actively search out moving.  

We are looking to take out around $100k to make some improvements.  We’re going to start with the back yard, and a close friend of mine has his own masonry business so he’s replacing our deck with a walk out patio.  

Moving inside, what are you guys thinking we look at?  The only thing we’re both sold on is a gas stove, and hardwood floors upstairs.  Otherwise, I think we’re looking at space-increasing hacks.  How can we re-configure the open floor plan around the fireplace, which is in the corner of the room and almost wasted space?  Do we do a pantry built-in around the refrigerator since there isn’t much storage space for things in the kitchen.  How do we make a nice home office that doesn’t take up an entire room (yes, I’m sacrificing my man-cave so we can combine our hobbies into one room.).  Re-doing our tight laundry room space with new appliances, as well as trying to gain some space by hiding our pesky litter robot somewhere.  

Ideas are certainly welcomed from those experienced in such things.  We won’t be doing the work, but are actively trying to triage ideas.