Sell Me On The Guys I'm Not High On

BleedTheClock

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Rashaad Penny-First round pick, arguably best runner in the draft.

...yeah, I'd say that's pretty arguable.

I think people are looking at his size and believing it equates to consistent power. He's not Beanie Wells, but they have similar running styles. Both are big linear backs that run fast in straight lines. Neither was very good between the tackles despite their size nor are they shifty enough to find green grass on a consistent basis. I don't think he's going to be a waste, but I'm not thinking of calling his name in the first 2 rounds. 

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Made this thread last year and had some of my viewpoints turned around. I'd love for that to happen again this year. Guys are not listed in any particular order btw...

Taven Bryan DT Florida

"Just a bulldog with zero technique or hand usage. He's going to get obliterated on down blocks and trap blocks in the NFL. Very disruptive, but doesn't play sound gap football. He's all over the place from a fundamental standpoint. He's pretty much a lock for the 1st round according to most, but I wouldn't draft him until maybe the 3rd round."

John Kelly RB Tennessee

"Boring RB prospect. He's got great balance, but he isn't overly violent or fast. I think you have to be one or the other and Kelly isn't. He's got great agility and quicks, but without combining this with some sort of power, I don't see how he can be ranked so high."

On the Bryan front, UF's coaching and S&C program were terrible. Kid had to go outside of UF to get as strong as he is. He wasn't developed like he should have been. I wouldn't assume that his issues aren't correctable.

As for Kelly, I don't see what you see on the violence front. He runs angry, he breaks tackles, and he has a nasty stiff arm. The guy plays a violent game. Hell, that extends to pass pro. He needs to dial down the aggressiveness there. With Kelly, I see a quick guy with great balance and a low center of gravity who runs angry. He looks Kareem Hunt out there with the broken tackles. I also see a very good pass-catcher who has shown the ability to make sharp, crisp breaks as a route runner. I think he's a very underrated back. The only thing he lacks is long-speed.

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

John Kelly RB Tennessee

"Boring RB prospect. He's got great balance, but he isn't overly violent or fast. I think you have to be one or the other and Kelly isn't. He's got great agility and quicks, but without combining this with some sort of power, I don't see how he can be ranked so high."

This is one thing I disagree on, he is plenty violent with his runs. He'll be a fan favorite and can get by because of his quickness, toughness and receiving skills, I could even see him being a workhorse for short periods of times.

Kelly1.gif0ee004a5d61c85ce4404b69e7399a416

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ronald Jones RB USC

"Love his burst, but I never thought he was Jamaal Charles fast, as some were making him out to be years ago. I like that he runs between the tackles pretty hard, but he never breaks tackles. He's just so damn skinny and weak that it hurts my head. I see him mocked in the late 1st pretty frequently, which seems insanely rich for me. I think he's more like a late 2nd or early 3rd. Again, he's fast, but doesn't have great vision and has literally no power. Won't get you any extra yards, although he will at least try and scrap for them. Fumbles are also an issue."

I think you may be putting him in a category he may not need to be a part of, he's a finesse runner, not every runner is a bruiser. Now the bolded, I strongly agree, he might have some of the best vision and natural running ability i've seen in a while, I actually get a super slight Marshall Faulk feel to how he runs. He definitely is not for every team

Ronald-Jones-6.gif

594633_9ef30d08e7a04c48aee8ff92bf14b5db~

Ronald-Jones-8.gif

Taven Bryan- terrible coaching and weight staff at Florida. Will get even bigger/faster/stronger in Pros. Elite upfield burst and play strength. Sure he needs to improve block recognition (and he really does struggle to find the ball) but a good NFL DL coach you could (key word, could) turn him into Justin Smith. Rare combo of motor/strength/athleticism. 

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

On the Bryan front, UF's coaching and S&C program were terrible. Kid had to go outside of UF to get as strong as he is. He wasn't developed like he should have been. I wouldn't assume that his issues aren't correctable.

For Taven Bryan, you just can't teach that type of explosiveness for a guy his size.  I recently saw his ability compared to Gerald McCoy in that regard.  He has a long way to go to figure out what to do after he wins initially, but that raw talent is off the charts.  I can definitely see why a team would risk a first round pick on him.  Disruption in the middle of the pocket is important enough that if you mainly just use him as a 3rd down interior pass rusher, he might still be worth a first round pick.

I look at him from the Bengals perspective.  We have Geno paired with Billings/Glasgow on 1st and some 2nd downs.  Then bring in Taven Bryan to pair with Geno on 3rd down passing situations.  I'm good with that..

21 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's got very good technique in his run blocking and even in his pass blocking, but I don't think his feet or his power will allow him to become a dominant OT. I've seen him mocked in the top 15. I wouldn't take him in the 1st round and am even skeptical of taking him in the 2nd. He's an average RT prospect to me."

I think if you read your own comments, you're underselling his value. You said he has very good technique but lacks traits to be dominant. I'm with you there. But look at what is playing in the NFL at tackle. He struggles with speed and may never be an All-Pro, but a good starting offensive tackle is definitely worth a 1st. 

21 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

DJ Moore WR Maryland

"I don't see it. His tape is pretty good, but I'm always left perplexed with how he makes these plays. He's not very big and not very fast. Plus he runs a pretty boring route tree for the most part. Where he's amazing is after the catch. But still, I don't know if he's sudden enough to create consistent separation from NFL DB's. This one is a hard to put a finger on, because his tape kind of disspells my worries, but the way he wins is bizarre to me. He's seemingly always well covered barring a few complete breakdowns in the defense, but still makes the catch and gets some YAC as well."

WR 1 in my book, this guy just has it, he owns the ball and is a playmaker. My only gripe with him is that he didn't have much success against tOSU except for one really nice playaction pass in 2015 just because of how good their DBs have been. I actually get a Steve Smith/Slight OBJ feel to him

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This is one thing I disagree on, he is plenty violent with his runs. He'll be a fan favorite and can get by because of his quickness, toughness and receiving skills, I could even see him being a workhorse for short periods of times.

Kelly1.gif0ee004a5d61c85ce4404b69e7399a416

Yea, he's kind of a Marshawn Lynch-lite type player in that he's a violent runner with great balance who is a lot more shifty than you expect.

I see where you’re coming from with Taven Bryan, he really is the definition of boom or bust as ALL the tools are there it’s just a matter of refining some gap responsibilities, hand techniques etc... You put him with a coach like Vic Fangio in that Justin smith role next Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman.... watch out.

the Charles/Rojo comp is a lazy one anyway, unfair as well. If we’re comparing them as prospects maybe but Rojo gets knocked off the bat because everyone compares him to prime KC Charles  

I worry about his longevity in the league but despite his thing stature he has incredibly active legs and is always churning forward. He obviously has the homerun speed. Fumbles aren’t a real issue, that is overblown. 

Ultimately he’s not a first rounder for me but a second is where he should go. You’ll want a bigger back to share some of the carries but he’ll be a versatile piece in this league. 

Archived