Montana on Brady's longevity

sportjames23

It's definitely easier, though QBs still take mega shots now for sure. Look at the number of concussed QBs we get throughout the season. They are being hit by faster and stronger players than ever before.

If you watch Montana whenever he is asked about Brady, there is quite clearly some competitive fire/jealousy or whatever you want to call it. He does not like to admit that Brady is the best QB ever and to be honest, I don't blame him. I imagine that if I was an all-time player, I would find it hard to admit that any other player was better than me.

It’s easier, but Montana was a lot more brittle than many of his peers comparatively. Guys like Marino and Elway held up much better. And tbh Brady in his early days took some big hits, he’s slways been pretty durable outside of a freak injury. 

So there’s some truth to it, but a lot of it is just Montana being salty. It’s like when Montana was asked about whether Brady was the best ever and he went into a long diatribe about how you can’t compare across era’s until his wife interjected that he calls himself the best at home. Some truth, some competeivness to not give up the crown. 

21 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It’s easier, but Montana was a lot more brittle than many of his peers comparatively. Guys like Marino and Elway held up much better. And tbh Brady in his early days took some big hits, he’s slways been pretty durable outside of a freak injury. 

So there’s some truth to it, but a lot of it is just Montana being salty. It’s like when Montana was asked about whether Brady was the best ever and he went into a long diatribe about how you can’t compare across era’s until his wife interjected that he calls himself the best at home. Some truth, some competeivness to not give up the crown. 

Wait, so his wife exposes a tongue and cheek at home dad joke on a televised interview, and that means Montana is salty? Long diatribe? He had like a 15 second answer to the question lol. Which he finished his statement. Then everyone else there kept showering him with complements. He said simply it's hard to put anyone in that bucket due to difference in era. He also said he can't even say that of himself despite the success he's had. But oh he doesn't want to give up the crown!!!

I already know this thread is going to ride the facally in logic of rings soon, so I'll say this: The most decorated quarterback does not equal the best to play the position. 

This is not controversial. With the technological and medical advancements in the last 20-30 years professional athletes have been able to recover faster as well as knowing exactly what they need to do to and how to do it in order to maintain optimal performance and fitness week in, week out.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It's definitely easier, though QBs still take mega shots now for sure. Look at the number of concussed QBs we get throughout the season. They are being hit by faster and stronger players than ever before.

If you watch Montana whenever he is asked about Brady, there is quite clearly some competitive fire/jealousy or whatever you want to call it. He does not like to admit that Brady is the best QB ever and to be honest, I don't blame him. I imagine that if I was an all-time player, I would find it hard to admit that any other player was better than me.

Actually, I would argue that there were more concussion occurrences back then.  Players didn't have the same protection that they have now with things like the concussion protocol, rules, better gear, medical advancements, etc, etc.    

Not to mention the unknown amount of concussed players who were still on the field while taking shots. Back then, the decision to keep a player on the field or not was more in the hands of the individual - usually with a simple look in his eyes and an "are you okay?".

So while it might be true that players are faster and stronger(although not by much) it's being done with better technology and an better overall acknowledgement and understanding of concussions in general. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Wait, so his wife exposes a tongue and cheek at home dad joke on a televised interview, and that means Montana is salty? Long diatribe? He had like a 15 second answer to the question lol. Which he finished his statement. Then everyone else there kept showering him with complements. He said simply it's hard to put anyone in that bucket due to difference in era. He also said he can't even say that of himself despite the success he's had. But oh he doesn't want to give up the crown!!!

I already know this thread is going to ride the facally in logic of rings soon, so I'll say this: The most decorated quarterback does not equal the best to play the position. 

Joe doesn’t have a better argument than Brady if you take away rings. Joe’s argument always was more reliant on rings and Super Bowl performances. 

I watched some clips of Montana last season.  And he's not wrong.  The hits those QBs took were unbelievable.  It's one thing to say things have changed in 25-30 years, it's another thing to actually see the hits these QBs constantly took during games.  I agree 100% that Brady wouldn't be able to play as long as he has in Montana's time.  That's not a knock on Brady, him being able to do it in today's NFL is quite a feat itself...

32 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Joe doesn’t have a better argument than Brady if you take away rings. Joe’s argument always was more reliant on rings and Super Bowl performances. 

I wasn't comparing the two with that statement. Rings or not, both played in different eras. And regardless of that as well, I still don't think they were the best to play the position. 

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

I wasn't comparing the two with that statement. Rings or not, both played in different eras. And regardless of that as well, I still don't think they were the best to play the position. 

I think there’s a difference between most physically talented and greatest. Marino, Young, and Rodgers are the best physical specimens to fulfill the requirements of the position, but Joe and Tom were such better decision makers and knew how to break a defense at the right time that I think they were far more ideal in big game situations 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

I think there’s a difference between most physically talented and greatest. Marino, Young, and Rodgers are the best physical specimens to fulfill the requirements of the position, but Joe and Tom were such better decision makers and knew how to break a defense at the right time that I think they were far more ideal in big game situations 

I could see that viewpoint. I still think the organizations and coaches they played for deserve as much credit. Other talented guys put in the same situation might have had a similar impact. I'm talking about Brady and his contemporaries of his era, or Montana and his contemporaries of his era.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

I could see that viewpoint. I still think the organizations and coaches they played for deserve as much credit. Other talented guys put in the same situation might have had a similar impact. I'm talking about Brady and his contemporaries of his era, or Montana and his contemporaries of his era.

Oh I agree but at the same time Young inherited the best of Montana’s teams and arguably some more talented ones, Marino had Shula before he lost it near the end, and Rodgers did benefit from having an excellent QB coach who refined his game. It’s going to be a science experiment with everybody to see who gets credit for what. 

I think at the end of the day, one game, your life depends on it, Brady and Montana make me feel more comfortable. Guys like Peyton I can acknowledge he’s a top 3 ever, but I’d be a lot more nervous with him.

Archived