Ravens sign RFA WR Willie Snead to offer sheet

baltimoreRebel

19 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Looks like Dez isn't coming. I like this signing if the Saints don't match. 

saints wont, they just signed meredith and are already max on on the cap. I love this signing TBH, way more then getting dez. If we didnt have crabs already then yea Id want dez. But our wr group is already much improved over last seasons group. Perriman will now be the #4 at best!

John Brown and Snead are 2 year deals. Relatively short term at best and this doesn't cancel out taking a WR. In my eyes it was insurance incase the draft doesn't fall our way and we are left scrambling the market after the draft. I like the approach, but will not be a fan if we decide to avoid WR come draft time completely. It allows for more flexibility because truly we need help in a few positions from O-Line, WR/TE and ILB to pair with Mosley. Plus if a QB fell in our lap 1st round, I wouldn't be opposed to find someone for the future.

I love it! Snead is so underrated. Yes, a lot has to do with that offense he was in but he was basically a 1000 yard WR for his first two seasons. And he has GREAT hands from what I hear. 

I don’t think we go WR in the 1st round now. I think we can expect rounds 2-3 for a guy like Anthony Miller, DaeSean Hamilton,  EQ St. Brown, or Deontay Burnett.

I think 1st round could be a RB like Guice. RT like McGlinchey. Or QB like Jackson.

I like the move. 

That said, I don’t see it eliminating the potential for a WR in round one. With brown and (likely) perriman gone after this season, adding a guy who will grow into our number one guy still makes sense IMO. 

Im not saying it does happen, but I doubt this necessarily precludes it. 

Ozzie always tries to fill the obvious gaps on the roster with ‘average’ free agents in order to stay true to the board on draft day and select BPA. I certainly don’t think this move rules out a 1st round WR.

1 minute ago, Rein said:

Ozzie always tries to fill the obvious gaps on the roster with ‘average’ free agents in order to stay true to the board on draft day and select BPA. I certainly don’t think this move rules out a 1st round WR.

Yep. Basically he has always looked at it as “can we field a team absent draft picks?” Then picks are bonus/future of team. 

29 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Holy overpay. I'm cool with getting Snead but he should've been around 2.5 mil per year.

Disagree. It’s not highway robbery or anything, but it’s a very reasonable short term deal for a solid slot guy IMO. 

I'm perfectly fine with this signing. If the saints don't match this gives us a lot more flexibility in the draft and we won't have to reach for a reciever early.

We can get a guy like St brown to develop in a later round.

Lamaar Jackson here we come! (prob not).

Archived