Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

If the Jets protect Zach Wilson, they can win this game. That offense has weapons. They can run the ball. Just have to make sure Wilson isn’t forced into mistakes. 

Who do the Jets cover with Gardner?  I was impressed with the Jets secondary yesterday.  Granted, they were playing against Miami's 3rd string QB, but none of the Dolphins receivers were consistently open.

4 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Who do the Jets cover with Gardner?  I was impressed with the Jets secondary yesterday.  Granted, they were playing against Miami's 3rd string QB, but none of the Dolphins receivers were consistently open.

I would imagine Gardener covers Lazard. Watson and Doubs are more toolsy, but their technique just doesn’t require a shut down corner at this time. 

Coming off a shocking upset in London to the New York Giants, the three-time defending NFC North champion Packers (3-2) are behind the Minnesota Vikings (4-1) in the division standings. The 27-22 loss to the Giants has left Green Bay fans reeling with pleas for the team to fire defensive coordinator Joe Barry and hire one of the most respected defensive minds in the league, former Vikings coach Mike Zimmer.

Packers fans took to Twitter following Sunday’s loss to New York, an embarrassment for Green Bay that resulted in the most-watched London game ever with 5.5 million viewers reached. The pleas to hire Zimmer have come with the recent news that former Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio, who was also fired last season, was hired as a defensive consultant for the Philadelphia Eagles.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/mike-zimmer-packers-revenge-hire-nfl/?fbclid=IwAR1pTL7U30an096Zw26HXQDJCcwP02_mQw05nt-cEWP859WQ9lYOwhvF--o

I’m not sure why the Packers, or their fans, would want Zimmer. They’ve built a strong defensive roster around their 3-4 base. Is it under performing from where it was expected to be? So far, possibly. But they currently rank 5th in yards allowed and 11th in points allowed. 

Their issues aren’t the defense. 

Edited by SemperFeist

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure why the Packers, or their fans, would want Zimmer. They’ve built a strong defensive roster around their 3-4 base. Is it under performing from where it was expected to be? So far, possibly. But they currently rank 5th in yards allowed and 11th in points allowed. 

Their issues aren’t the defense. 

Agreed.  The issue has and will always be this season their wide receivers.  Until Watson and Doubs can become competent, teams will continue to focus on making the Packers one-dimensional offensively.  

Zimmer has significant experience running a 3-4, since he did that in Dallas, so that's not a question, but I wouldn't think they'd get any different results with him as they do with Barry.  It's not like there's a significant difference from when they had Pettine.  While their defensive roster may be "strong", they're still in the bottom half of the league defensively, just as they were when they were winning the division the last 3 years.  So, only one thing has changed.  They were a top-5 offense...now they're not.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

and just think of what they're paying him this year and next....

then think of the draft picks they could have got for trading him, and Adams, instead of being held hostage and hoping it would work out.

i remember one of of Kwesi's first quotable lines as our new GM: "Hope is not a strategy."

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Anyone think that they would have moved on from Rodgers if Love looked like a decent QB?

Youi'd have to think that played a part.  They certainly had no qualms about moving on from Favre because they saw what they had in Rodgers...and lots of the people in that front office that were part of that decision are still there.

After Sunday’s 27-10 home loss to the New York Jets, one week after losing to the New York Giants, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers called for the team to “simplify” some things on offense. That topic came up during Monday’s press conference with Packers coach Matt LaFleur.

“Were you surprised to hear how much Aaron wants to simplify the offense?” LaFleur was asked. His answer was somewhat surprising.

LaFleur: “I don’t know what that means. So, no, we talked about it. It’s just — any time that there’s a lack of execution, and certainly we’ve got to coach better, no doubt about it. We’ve got to put our guys in better positions, just communication from top down and then out on the field, you know, has got to be better. We’ve got to get everybody on the same page. And then, to me, it’s more about digging at the details of what we’re doing. Because I think you could see that, and it falls on everybody. Certainly, you know, again, it always starts with us as coaches, trying to do a better job of getting guys to understand all the little intricacies, because I think that’s really what separates a lot of plays in this league. And it really doesn’t matter what we do schematically. If we don’t block better, it’s hard to do anything. And I think that was the number one issue yesterday.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/17/aaron-rodgers-wants-to-simplify-the-offense-but-matt-lafleur-doesnt-know-what-that-means/

these guys get more entertaining every day.