Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Man…I don’t know what this contract says more, how little the Packers believe in Love? Or how little Love believes in himself?

Love gets $8.8M in his pocket with an uncertain future. That should be a no brainer for him

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Man…I don’t know what this contract says more, how little the Packers believe in Love? Or how little Love believes in himself?

Love signed a contract that looks a lot more like a contract for a backup QB than for a starting QB. A lot depends on what exactly those escalators are, but that it is only around $16M over two years that is already locked in looks like what I would expect out of a good backup QB with upside to earn more if he ends up starting.

It says more of how little Love believes in himself. He must have been convinced that they wouldn't do the 5th year option on the rookie contract and doubted that he would earn a starting role beyond the one given to him this year.

Hard to blame the team for getting the best deal they can get. This is a good deal for the team.  It is only a good deal for Love if he stinks.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

I wouldn't take him over Kirk, but given how shallow the talent in the NFC is, Geno would definitely be in my top 5.

Hurts
Cousins
Prescott
Stafford
Goff

Those 5 would easily come before Geno for me. There’s just too much history of bad football from Geno for one good year to wipe it out. I’d probably put Derek Carr above him, too. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Hurts
Cousins
Prescott
Stafford
Goff

Those 5 would easily come before Geno for me. There’s just too much history of bad football from Geno for one good year to wipe it out. I’d probably put Derek Carr above him, too. 

I don't think Geno was ever bad as much as he played on bad teams, in systems that didn't maximize his talent.  At this juncture in time, I would place him above Goff, and perhaps even Stafford.

54 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

How did the NFC get so bad at QB? The discrepancy between the AFC and NFC is pretty staggering right now. Must be nice to be an Eagles fan right now, seems they’ll have an easy path to the SB for the foreseeable future.  

The NFC got old and then failed to make the necessary plans to find successors. 

Atlanta gave a bad contract to an old QB in Matt Ryan, and then pissed him off when they vocally went after DeShaun Watson, yet failed to obtain him. 

The Bucs sold out for an old QB in Brady, and went all in on him. 

The Packers admittedly took the right approach in drafting Jordan love, but they got catfished by Rodgers. They should have stayed the course with the plan and traded Rodgers away in 2021. 

The Saints wrote a master class on how to kick the can down the road, trying to get something with Drew Brees. But they massively failed to find a successor for Brees.

And then there’s the poor drafting by other teams. The book hasn’t been closed on the likes of Daniel Jones, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance, but all three of them pretty much need to take a Josh Allen level jump in their development. And we all know how unlikely that is.