College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tell us about how you evaluated prospects for the 1954 draft.

He is Canadian. They over do everything in football. They play with too may men and the play on a field 25% larger than it should be. So what he probably really meant was that he was a draftnik for 25 years.

I hope iamcanadian knows I am just messing. I have nothing against Canadians or Canada. Also, thought I was an old fart. I am not even 65(for another 50ish days) and here this guy has been watching the draft for 65 years. I don't think I even paid attention to the draft until I was almost 40.

I watched as many of those players as I could find on youtube from Mind Characters list the other day and one guy who stood out to me was Michael Gallup from Colorado State. He was easily the most impressive of a very lack luster group of WRs I have seen for this years draft. I see a lot of red zone threat or possession type WRs for this year but I think this Gallup guy can be a multi dimensional player and true #1 when he gets to the NFL.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

grumpier-old-men-02.jpg?w=1000&h=663&cro

Current situation

I am not quite that old and I hope my body never gets to be that old. You have to be in pretty decent shape to officiate high school football. When things get crazy and you get run over by 16-18 year old kids who have been lifting and training you cannot be as fragile as these two grumpy old me. So far I can say my body has help up great with the worst injuries being cuts and bruises. I remember a giant knot on my forehead once that was big enough my hat wouldn't fit my head the second half. As far as I know there was no concussion though.

18 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

I am not quite that old and I hope my body never gets to be that old. You have to be in pretty decent shape to officiate high school football. When things get crazy and you get run over by 16-18 year old kids who have been lifting and training you cannot be as fragile as these two grumpy old me. So far I can say my body has help up great with the worst injuries being cuts and bruises. I remember a giant knot on my forehead once that was big enough my hat wouldn't fit my head the second half. As far as I know there was no concussion though.

Fine then, you're on the right.

47b1f6b8c133c8664301318ec67a96cf--holida 

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000873143/article/college-football-qb-power-rankings-baker-mayfield-rises-to-top

Been telling yall Baker is the QB to take if your going to take one. Been saying that since day one 

...HERE WE GO AGAIN.

Just like DeShone Kizer is better than Watson and everyone who disagrees with you is blind?

Sorry man, but I think you've used up every shred of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to analyzing QB's for a LONG time until someone proves you right.

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

All that Josh Rosen stuff is fluff the NFL sees this you all will  too 

The NFL sees this? Because of one random article on NFL.com? Let's at least wait until late April to see who agrees/disagrees.

P.S.

Rosen is my #2 guy right now, maybe even #3. He's a hard guy to evaluate on that dumpster fire of a UCLA team.

Like I’ve said Kizer is 22 wait I mean 21. 

I’m not giving up yet too early

Watson got a torn ACL again

Trubisky don’t throw

Mahomes ain’t playing yet 

I won’t hold my breath 

and like I said before the browns are a worse team from an NFL standard than UCLA is as a college program

It’s not fair to give Rosen that excuse if your not going to give Kizer that excuse 

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tell us about how you evaluated prospects for the 1954 draft.

Street and Smith Pro Football magazine was the bible for draftniks back then and a lot of pro teams. You had to study it from cover to cover and hope you could pick up a tidbit from here or there. We had zero access to the Combine and living in Canada, we only got to watch one college game a week and had no access to American newspapers, but I did develope quite an eye for assessing talent and later in life, I worked for a Provincial sports organization as its Executive Director and coached travel baseball for around 30 years, quite successfully and sent quite a few Canadians to play in the States.

In 1960, when I was 17, I wrote the NBA and asked for stats which were unavailable in Canada and they sent me a beautiful stat booklet, which I realized was a weekly release to newspapers, radio and TV, so I wrote the NBA and requested that they send me this weekly release. They wrote back that it was reserved for newsmen and editors. But I did not let that stop me, I went to City Hall and registered a company called Universal Sports, then I went to the post office and got a Post office box for my company. then I went to an printing store and ordered stationary and envelopes. Finally I wrote back to the NBA that I was the second largest news service in Canada and since at that time, the NBA knew nothing about Canada, they never questioned it and I got on their mailing list for stats.

Well, I had all this stationary, so I also wrote to MLB and the NFL and got on their mailing lists, finally, being a dedicated draftnik, I wrote every college in America and got their  football yearbook, detailing everything about each player on their team.

Finally,  I got a surprise in the mail, the NFL was trying to get foreign press to attend a new event that were creating called the Super Bowl and they were offering me 2 places at the event, one an on the field and one a 50 yard line ticket, so I asked a buddy and we both went to the SB for the next 5 years till I graduated from University. While in line for my credentials, I noticed they asked the reporter in front of me, if he wanted tickets for his wife and also if he wanted a car provided by Chrysler, with Official SB Car written on the side. So we got the tickets and scalped them to pay for the trip and rode around for a week in an official Super Bowl Car.

Eventually, I even put out an All American team and was shocked to see how seriously the colleges mentioned, took it, sending me clipping of my All American team which they had released to their state and surrounding state's newspapers, probably to help their recruiting. Even today, if you look in college yearbooks about past All Americans, you will see Joe Smoe listed as All American UP, AP and US(Universal Sports). Kind of neat!!!

So yes, I am a very serious draftnik and have a keen eye for talent with lots of knowledge about the history of the game.

29 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Like I’ve said Kizer is 22 wait I mean 21. 

And I'm 31, so I must be better than Tom Brady, who is 40.

I’m not giving up yet too early

A rookie season is a lot like a first date. You usually don't know if he/she is THE ONE but sometimes you know when he/she IS NOT the one. Kizer isn't it.

Watson got a torn ACL again

Frank Gore tore his ACL 2-3 times and he's headed to Canton.

Trubisky don’t throw

Trubisky and Kizer are both comparable in completion percentage (47% to 52%, both terrible), Kizer has a 3-11 TD/INT Ratio compared to 2-2 for Trub, and Kizer's rating is a whopping 51.1 to a 66.3 to Kizer.

Mahomes ain’t playing yet 

I bet he'd be playing if he was in Cleveland. Considering he's behind a guy who so far is completing 70% of his passes with 18 TD, 1 INT, and 2,444 yards.

I won’t hold my breath 

Please don't. I'd hate to see you pass out...or worse, admit you're wrong.

and like I said before the browns are a worse team from an NFL standard than UCLA is as a college program

Rosen is looking good on a bad team. Kizer is looking inept on an inept team. Pretty big difference. Ask Jared Goff.

It’s not fair to give Rosen that excuse if your not going to give Kizer that excuse 

Completing 63.1% of his passes with 2,713 yards and 20 TD to 8 INT in a Pro Style system while showing immense improvement from his sophomore to junior seasons isn't an excuse. Rosen is clearly getting better/looking good (although as stated, I'm not sold on him) while Kizer has regressed (freshman to sophomore seasons at Notre Dame and this year as a rookie) leaves little doubt over who the better prospect is.

Barring injury, I'd bet good money that Rosen is drafted A LOT higher than Kizer.

Also, funny how much better Notre Dame is doing this year without Kizer. I bet he was a part of the reason that they were so bad last year.

Free Agent Signing = Carlos Hyde RB, DeVante Adams WR

1st Round 1st Pick = Sam Darnold QB USC

1st Round 6th Pick = Minkah Fitzpatrick FS Alabama

2nd Round 33rd Pick = Josh Adams RB Notre Dame

2nd Round 39th Pick = Brian O'Neil OT Pittsburgh or Martinas Rankin OT Mississippi State

2nd Round 56th Pick = Parris Campbell WR Ohio State or Michael Gallup WR Colorado State

3rd Round 65th Pick = Kurt Benkert QB Virginia

4th Round ??? Pick = Jaylyn Holmes DE Ohio State

4th Round ??? Pick = MJ Stewart CB North Carolina

5th-7th Round = I have no idea I don't know enough players. Biggest, Strongest, Fastest guy you can find.

What do you think of my first ever mock draft?

Before Letsgo quizzes me about the background of each player I openly admit I have not researched these guys in depth nor will I ever as that is not my job. My job is to have fun watching and talking sports. I have watched these guys on TV and on youtube and that is it. I do not have access to this all 22 Mind is always talking about and I have no game film as I am not a college or NFL employee.

29 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

What do you think of my first ever mock draft?

No way in heck we need one of our two big FA signings to be an RB AND to take one in the 2nd. One or the other, cool. But no need for both.

I don't buy Darnold coming out, I think he's going back, and if he did come out, man I'd be nervous to take him over some of the other QBs who have actually looked good this year.

Really like Fitzpatrick there, and I like OT and WR in the 2nd.

Archived