MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

52 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I dont think MM is afraid to fight the best, but is a legit 125er and knows that is where he is the greatest at. When he goes up to 135 it is too much. I also think if he gets into 1fc he can actually make some money that the ufc wasnt able to pay him because of the lack of interest in the smaller weight classes. 1fc is a much more established and successful opportunity for smaller guys because that is their bread and butter in the SE ASIA. I love this deal for both MM and Askren because MM gets paid what he should be and Askren gets a chance at some legacy fights. 

Lol what? TJ and Cody wanted the fight at 125 and DJ dodged both of them. 

20 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

how would you even know that? DJ said he would fight them at 125. Do you know if contracts were offered and DJ rejected it? I think you are making up a narrative.

He avoided TJ like the plague at 125. TJ was trying to get that fight for months and Dana White was all for it. DJ’s excuse was TJ hasn’t earned it and not a true 125lb fighter. This is all out in the open for you to read. This is what got DJ in Danas doghouse. DJ knows TJ would of beat him in literally every aspect of Mixed Martial Arts. DJ, TJ, Cruz all have similar style standup games and TJ and Cruz definitely do it better. And TJ is much more well rounded than DJ overall. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He avoided TJ like the plague at 125. TJ was trying to get that fight for months and Dana White was all for it. DJ’s excuse was TJ hasn’t earned it and not a true 125lb fighter. This is all out in the open for you to read. This is what got DJ in Danas doghouse. DJ knows TJ would of beat him in literally every aspect of Mixed Martial Arts. DJ, TJ, Cruz all have similar style standup games and TJ and Cruz definitely do it better. And TJ is much more well rounded than DJ overall. 

that is a very misleading way of putting it. DJ said he would fight him if he could prove he could make 125. DJ had already signed his fight contract with Borg and they wanted to pull it for a fight with TJ. His words were if TJ took a fight at 125 and made weight and won then he would take a fight with him. Not exactly avoiding him at all cost but i get it you dont like DJ. Your comments about him rival your comments  about Khabib.

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

that is a very misleading way of putting it. DJ said he would fight him if he could prove he could make 125. DJ had already signed his fight contract with Borg and they wanted to pull it for a fight with TJ. His words were if TJ took a fight at 125 and made weight and won then he would take a fight with him. Not exactly avoiding him at all cost but i get it you dont like DJ. Your comments about him rival your comments  about Khabib.

Champion vs Champion fight, why would TJ want to fight at 125 not for a title? It was a pure dodge, he knows TJ is a terrible matchup for him. DJ fought nobody after nobody after nobody at 125 and finally got beat by an improved Henry. 

1) DJ doesn’t make money, not even a Top 20 draw on the roster

2) Overrated beyond belief, people crowning him #1 in such a pathetic division is laughable. Like I said, TJ and Cody murk him at 125. Cruz I don’t think would make 125, but he murks him at 130 or 135 easily just like last time. 

3) He cared more about his title streak than the fans. The reason he wanted the Borg was because he wanted the guaranteed record. So laughable. 

Love the Askren trade. Askren isn’t a draw either but he won’t be scared to fight people, dudes confidence is through the roof. I think GSP murks Askren though, wouldn’t mind seeing that fight. 

Edited by BayRaider

I kinda think the UFC making a move for Askren is part of launching the 165 division. It's a bit awkward making an investment in him at WW when as long as Tyron is champ, Askren's not going to be making a play for the title.

Seems like an undefeated name like Askren would be perfect for the inaugural 165 title fight. Probably against GSP, but wouldn't rule out the UFC making Askren-Khabib too.

It's just that, unless DJ was really holding out to be released from his contract, I don't see the UFC giving him up just for Askren to have a few non-title fights against Mike Perry and Jorge Masvidal. Regardless of how well DJ draws or doesn't. No way they just gave him away to get a WW who won't fight for the belt unless Tyron loses it.

33 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

It's just that, unless DJ was really holding out to be released from his contract, I don't see the UFC giving him up just for Askren to have a few non-title fights against Mike Perry and Jorge Masvidal. Regardless of how well DJ draws or doesn't. No way they just gave him away to get a WW who won't fight for the belt unless Tyron loses it.

Ariel said DJ wanted to go to ONE and the UFC thought they could get something out of it. I don't think Askren was a huge prize. Askren vs. Jorge seems like a realistic, fun fight. 

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Ariel said DJ wanted to go to ONE and the UFC thought they could get something out of it. I don't think Askren was a huge prize. Askren vs. Jorge seems like a realistic, fun fight. 

That's what I assume as well, but it's still the case that they may relinquish the contract of their record holder for title defenses, one fight removed from his title reign. That's not really a UFC-like thing to do, and an investment in Askren.

Plus, it sounds like he was on quite good money in ONE, so I doubt Askren's being paid peanuts. Don't think the UFC wants him on good money fighting to decisions against guys like Neil Magny or Michael Chiesa.

Not to mention the biggest thing about this whole deal: Tomato-head Dana putting his pride aside and signing Askren, who he's had beef with over Twitter for years.

Just too much to invest, all together, for a guy who won't fight the current champ in his division.

I wonder (or maybe hope) after the hype that the Bellator WW tournament has gotten, whether the UFC could be planning a tournament to crown the first 165 division champ. That would be bananas.

Askren, GSP, Diaz, Lee, RDA, Covington... then throw two of Chiesa/Vick/Felder/Perry/Cerrone/Gunnar/Oliveira/Masvidal.

1 hour ago, Buckrock101 said:

I wonder (or maybe hope) after the hype that the Bellator WW tournament has gotten, whether the UFC could be planning a tournament to crown the first 165 division champ. That would be bananas.

Askren, GSP, Diaz, Lee, RDA, Covington... then throw two of Chiesa/Vick/Felder/Perry/Cerrone/Gunnar/Oliveira/Masvidal.

Might as well throw in McGregor because its gonna happen haha