MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

The DJ/TJ thing sucks it never happened. I think its silly that TJ would have to make weight and win a fight before getting a shot because the whole Flyweight division looked like it was cleaned out. TJ is a professional and knows that the title shot would be vacated if he missed weight and would also loses a significant amount of his purse if he missed weight, so why is DJ so worried about it? UFC likely pays him anyways even if the fight doesnt go down if TJ misses weight by too much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The DJ/TJ thing sucks it never happened. I think its silly that TJ would have to make weight and win a fight before getting a shot because the whole Flyweight division looked like it was cleaned out. TJ is a professional and knows that the title shot would be vacated if he missed weight and would also loses a significant amount of his purse if he missed weight, so why is DJ so worried about it? UFC likely pays him anyways even if the fight doesnt go down if TJ misses weight by too much

If you dont want to look like you are dodging someone you put up ridiculous demands so that you can save face.  I highly doubt dj really cared about the weight. He new tj couldnt meet the demands. Hes a belt holder. He cant fight take two fights in a different division and hold up his just to fight dj. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I wonder (or maybe hope) after the hype that the Bellator WW tournament has gotten, whether the UFC could be planning a tournament to crown the first 165 division champ. That would be bananas.

Askren, GSP, Diaz, Lee, RDA, Covington... then throw two of Chiesa/Vick/Felder/Perry/Cerrone/Gunnar/Oliveira/Masvidal.

I wish UFC did Tournaments but they never will. Their marketing is more towards keeping big guys without a L as long as possible. Obv no where near as bad as boxing, not even close.. but a 8 Man UFC Tournament instantly delivers a loss to the Top 7 contenders and you have a champion.

12 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

love frankie and hope it's not long-term, but that fight does way more my adrenaline. pumped for that one. 

damnnn, I was so pumped for that one.

Yair/Zombie is going to be fun as hell, I'm definitely looking forward to that. and tbh I'm glad it wasn't Zombie that got injured, because I really want to see him active and back in the title picture. but Edgar/Zombie was primed to be a classic, and maybe a title eliminator too

I kinda like the new Michael Johnson. he got humbled in his losses to Diaz/Khabib/Gaethje/Elkins, and now he seems a lot looser and taking himself a lot less seriously. fought well in this one, could have gotten a KO, but Artem's head is made of rock. Looking forward to Johnson's next fight

7 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I kinda like the new Michael Johnson. he got humbled in his losses to Diaz/Khabib/Gaethje/Elkins, and now he seems a lot looser and taking himself a lot less seriously. fought well in this one, could have gotten a KO, but Artem's head is made of rock. Looking forward to Johnson's next fight

Probably should take the weight-cut a tad more seriously, but I was just glad to see him beat Artem. I know why he is still on the roster but there is no good reason he really is on the roster

16 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Probably should take the weight-cut a tad more seriously, but I was just glad to see him beat Artem. I know why he is still on the roster but there is no good reason he really is on the roster

he took this fight on 2 weeks notice  and had 30lbs to cut. I think missing by 1 lb is solid.

Rumors around today that Khabib vs GSP is going to be made. no doubt think it's rough for Tony, who deserves his shot at the proper belt (and at Khabib), but at the same time that's a huge fight. two of the best MMA grapplers to have ever done it.

The part that's not certain is whether it would be at 155 or 165. wouldn't surprise me if they made it the first 165 fight ever, maybe even for the belt. if they did that, it may open up Tony vs Poirier for the 155 belt. then Conor vs Diaz 3, winner fights the winner of Tony vs Dustin. wouldn't mind that at all