MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Again?

Maybe this is why he is considered an underrated champion?

I'm trying to understand how you wait until ******* fight day to have hernia surgery? How do you not know you have a hernia or what the hell did you do during fight week to get one if it happened that week? If this comes to light yesterday, they could've just made it Gastelum vs Stylebender for the Interim instead of scrapping Gastelum all together. Whittaker's camp is either inept or just plain dumb.

15 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Just make it Stylebender vs Gastelum for the title. You cannot rely on Whittaker at all. Dude is always hurt. He's the 185 version of Cain.

He's not even remotely close to Cain level of fragility. 

But this is annoying as hell, but I think this is more on Dana. Dude was already nervous about the card and didn't want to release the news of the pullout until they got sizeable PPV buys. Not like they can fly someone in for any one of the 185ers on the card.  

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I'm trying to understand how you wait until ******* fight day to have hernia surgery? How do you not know you have a hernia or what the hell did you do during fight week to get one if it happened that week? If this comes to light yesterday, they could've just made it Gastelum vs Stylebender for the Interim instead of scrapping Gastelum all together. Whittaker's camp is either inept or just plain dumb.

Agreed. Its absolutely pitiful. I feel bad for Gastelum big time. I figured they wouldn't scrap Silva off the card though

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

This isn't a matter of stupidity. This is a matter of shadyness, UFC does shady stuff all the time. They don't give two ****s about the fans. They likely knew, especially since the Whittaker camp didn't want any of the embedded cameras around him in training. 

UFC absolutely knew what happened, Whittakers camp knew and they all stayed quiet so they could maximize buys. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

He's not even remotely close to Cain level of fragility.

3 fights in 2 years that will extend, with this surgery, to 4 fights in over 2 1/2 years (April 2017 to, at least, November 2019). That would be too far off Cain's stretch where he had 3 fights from October 2013 to July 2016.

Edited by beekay414

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

This isn't a matter of stupidity. This is a matter of shadyness, UFC does shady stuff all the time. They don't give two ****s about the fans. They likely knew, especially since the Whittaker camp didn't want any of the embedded cameras around him in training. 

UFC absolutely knew what happened, Whittakers camp knew and they all stayed quiet so they could maximize buys. 

It's a bit of both. His camp let him go through all this with a damn hernia. They even had him cut weight and weigh in. Just dumb. Hernias can be life threatening. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

3 fights in 2 years that will extend, with this surgery to 3 fights in over 2 1/2 years (April 2017 to, at least, November 2019). That would be right around Cain's stretch where he had 3 fights from October 2013 to July 2016.

Tbf, he's been in 5 round wars with the scariest MW in the world.  The time he's taken off has been completely justified. Cain was just purely idiotic (in my recollection) in terms of his training and disclosure of the injury.

2 fights a year has also been his pace. More or less. He could still make that too. But, i'm just incredibly disappointed and I feel awful for both Kelvin and Robert.

Just don't see the reason to take a huge dump on Robert. Not like the dude wanted to give himself a Hernia. It happens.. Hate this about MMA fans. . 

Edited by John232

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

Just don't see the reason to take a huge dump on Robert. Not like the dude wanted to give himself a Hernia. It happens.. Hate this about MMA fans. . 

By saying he's unreliable? He isn't reliable. He's a multiple time title fight dropout due to injury. It happens. It's not "taking a dump" on someone to state facts.

I also didn't criticize him. I criticized his camp. Big difference.

Edited by beekay414

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

By saying he's unreliable? He isn't reliable. He's a multiple time title fight dropout due to injury. It happens. It's not "taking a dump" on someone to state facts.

I also didn't criticize him. I criticized his camp. Big difference.

He dropped out once against bisping in 2015 and dropped out over a month ahead of Rockhold due to Staph. Am I missing anything else? Genuine question.  

Sure, maybe it's his camp. But, again, **** happened. They didn't disclose for monetary reasons.  There are a lot of reasons why they might not have disclosed this though. This is also the same camp that also with Robert, recognized there were bigger health issues going on. Idk, his Camp has largely been one of the best in the division when it comes to game planning and making adjustments. Nothing about his camp seems inept. Again, this just screams of typical Dana BS. Like moving JJ to LA. 

The Hernia also could have gotten much worse in the last 24 hours, which is why the surgery is happening now. You aren't privy to all the details (nor am I), so It's not fair to jump to conclusions. Maybe they thought it was a soft tissue injury at the start, something they could easily tough out, and then it got much much worse. 

conspiracy theory: Idk if anyone saw the photos of Kelvin, but there was a white open sore on the back of his neck. Some people thought it looked like Staph.

/r/mma already pushing the theory that Robert wanted nothing to do with Kelvin if he has multiple staph sores, especially after his last run in. 

Edited by John232

It's also incredibly stupid that there were no 185 replacements on deck.  Whether or not you agree with the notion that Robert isn't reliable, the fact that one of Jacare, Weidman or Costa wasn't on deck triggers me a bit. Though, i'm not sure if any of those guys are already booked.