MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

12 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Funny that, triangles are my specialty, easily my #1 submission.

You can still get triangles if you have short legs. In fact once you lock it up, shorter legs can make you triangle even tighter.

Just need to focus on getting the angle right. If you're straight-on, you'll have a hard time locking it up. You need to angle off to the opposite side of the arm that's inside the triangle, so you're looking at your opponent's ear.

Hope so! I have a nasty armbar game—especially when I have any back position on my opponent, but my guard is terrible. Even armbars from the guard are crap for me. I do struggle to cut angles from my back for sure. 

Oh and don’t even ask me about leg locks. Literally no idea how to execute a single one of those bad boys. 

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Hope so! I have a nasty armbar game—especially when I have any back position on my opponent, but my guard is terrible. Even armbars from the guard are crap for me. I do struggle to cut angles from my back for sure. 

Oh and don’t even ask me about leg locks. Literally no idea how to execute a single one of those bad boys. 

I have short legs and can get triangles pretty easy. Used to be my number one technique. It helps me a lot if i can get a space between my butt and the other persons knee. Start by getting body triangles around there floating rib to keep that distance. 

Having a good kimura helps as you can threaten the kimura while trying to get space. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

I have short legs and can get triangles pretty easy. Used to be my number one technique. It helps me a lot if i can get a space between my butt and the other persons knee. Start by getting body triangles around there floating rib to keep that distance. 

Yeah it's important to shoulder walk (walk your body back on your shoulders) when you're doing a triangle. If your opponent stacks you it's super hard to lock up/finish the triangle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eagles101 said:

Having a good kimura helps as you can threaten the kimura while trying to get space. 

2 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Yeah it's important to shoulder walk (walk your body back on your shoulders) when you're doing a triangle. If your opponent stacks you it's super hard to lock up/finish the triangle.

I have trouble getting the non-triangle arm cleared and out of my way. Any suggestions?

42 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I have trouble getting the non-triangle arm cleared and out of my way. Any suggestions?

Kimura. Try and wrist control that arm like your going for a kimura, if he pulls back, push the arm out of the way and slip the leg up... hard to explain in writing but generally pull the arm so he pulls back. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

When setting it up initially, try starting by attacking another submission - something like an armbar or a kimura. They go to defend that, and make it super easy to isolate the arm and transition to the triangle.

My personal favorite is making it look like I'm going for an armbar. They pull their arm out to protect it, and that puts them in the triangle straight away.

Now if they still have a little bit of the non-triangle arm stuck inside (like sometimes they'll sneak a hand in there), that's a bit different. But just be patient. They're still in a bad spot, and you can still finish it with the other hand stuck inside. If you want to clear it completely, reach under their armpit, and you'll have good leverage to pry it out (or shoulder lock them if the arm doesn't move).

Hopefully that makes sense (and I understood the question correctly?)

• Like 1