Draft Day Thread: 1st Round Discussion

Dome

18 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So it looks like the Cowboys will be in the hunt for a tight end. Looks like Jason Witten is announcing retirement.

So who's the one guy y'all want the Saints to come away from today with?

for me it's Shaquem Griffin, LB: UCF. I love this kids toughness, talent and play style. His story is amazing but he's more than that. The Saints have 3 linebackers going into the season in the final year of their contract. I'd love to see Griffin groomed under the wing of a veteran leader like Craig Robertson.

Here is another take on Davenport I really like, ex-NFL DE Stephan White:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/20/17089168/2018-nfl-draft-marcus-davenport-breakdown-scouting-report

For now I have Bradley Chubb ahead of Davenport as the better edge rusher prospect. Chubb is a little more polished and has a little better motor. But I want to be clear that Davenport has just as much if not more potential than Chubb.

Chubb is indeed the safer pick of the two, but with risk could come great reward with Davenport.

All I’m saying is don’t be surprised if three years or so down the road Davenport isn’t at at least as good as Chubb.

Maybe even better.

It's a bit long, but it's a pretty great break down. Worth reading imo.

EDIT TO ADD: Here is his SackSeer predictive value: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/sackseer-2018

1 hour ago, SSK said:

I like Ronnie Harrison, safety from Alabama. 

Will the Saints continue their run on Ohio State players? Is Jerome Baker an option? 

I think Baker would be a good fit in the 3rd or 4th if he's still there, he's a bit of a question mark as his 2016 season was phenomenal then in 2017 the linebackers took a step back when Luke Fickell left which just goes to show how much his coaching benefited them.  I think with better coaching and people to learn from he'd return to his 2016 form that had him being projected as a possible 1st rounder.

Assuming we'll fill the positions Payton says we're lacking with our remaining picks which is TE, IOL and LB. I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade up into the 3rd today, to round off our needs. Have 2 3rd round picks and get the best TE and IOL to really make this roster deep throughout.

Anyway guys I want and have a chance to be there 3rd or later:

LB: Darius Leonard

TE: Ian Andrews

IOL: No clue, Hernandez won't be there and I'd like someone who can play C and G. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, SSK said:

I like Ronnie Harrison, safety from Alabama. 

Will the Saints continue their run on Ohio State players? Is Jerome Baker an option? 

I predicted he Saints would draft Baker MONTHS ago lol

Will feel pretty good if it came true

I'm still high on Mike Gesicki - TE out of Penn State - won't last to 91 though.

I'd be very happy with:
Mason Rudolph QB - also won't last
I also really like BJ Hill - DT out of NC State
Or trade back for Foley Fatukasi - DT out of Connecticut
And my Homerism is going to say - Josey Jewell - ILB out of Iowa - The kid is a stud! Durable, and smart. He's a touch slow on the top end, but quick.

Start of 3rd round, Players i like for Saints...

Malik Jackson, LB: Texas

Jerome Baker, LB: Ohio State

Shaquem Griffin, LB: Central Florida

Arden Key, DE: Louisiana State

Sam Hubbard, DE: Ohio State

Mason Rudolph, QB: Oklahoma State

Luke Falk, QB: Washington State

Parry Nickerson, CB: Tulane

Nathan Shepard, DT: Fort Myers

Rasheem Green, DL: Southern Cal

Derrick Nnadi, DT: Florida State

BJ Hill, DT: NC State