Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

My thoughts on the Terrell Edmunds picks....

I dont know a ton about him and I dont like judging off of so little tape time....but based on what I see, its a very Al Davis-Mike Mitchell-ish pick.   Thats not a good thing.   

HOWEVER.....I do see some very nice potential.  Elite physical tools to work with.  What it will come down is to the coaching IMO.   I think the right coaching could make him into a nice pick.    I dont trust that we can develop him (or any raw DBs for that matter), but hopefully the new secondary coach is better at coaching up young players than Carnell Lake did.

Another thing is something Ive been saying for months.   This draft is very segmented IMO.     Outside of 10-20 players (10 at the low end, 20 high end), I think the next 40-50 players are very VERY interchangeable.    I even said there were likely some 3rd round players that could be swapped around with certain players that would go in the late first, and I think we saw that with some of the picks at the end of the 1st.      There wasnt a single player I was overly excited to get at 28.  Not one.   There were a bunch I thought would be solid picks, but none I was really hoping for....which is very different from most years where there is usually at least 1.

Which is why trading Martavis for what we did was a good move IMO.    While the top wasnt strong, its a fairly deep draft.    I think we could potentially get 4 immediate contributors.    

Oh...and despite my questions about Edmunds, Ill absolutely take him over Guice or Michel.   Not that Edmunds is a better TALENT than either, but its a much smarter pick IMO....for reasons Ive already stated many many times. 

I'm genuinely stunned. I thought he was a 3rd to 5th rounder. He does have elite athleticism, and he is a good tackler,

but I have to think they're transitioning him to ILB or using him as a spur-type. I mean if we turn around and pick (after WR) another FS type,

then we'll know how they intend to use him. With all the players still on the board though, I'm actually kind of blown away.

I think you could say, at this point, it's the biggest reach in the draft today.

14 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

My thoughts on the Terrell Edmunds picks....

I dont know a ton about him and I dont like judging off of so little tape time....but based on what I see, its a very Al Davis-Mike Mitchell-ish pick.   Thats not a good thing.   

HOWEVER.....I do see some very nice potential.  Elite physical tools to work with.  What it will come down is to the coaching IMO.   I think the right coaching could make him into a nice pick.    I dont trust that we can develop him (or any raw DBs for that matter), but hopefully the new secondary coach is better at coaching up young players than Carnell Lake did.

Another thing is something Ive been saying for months.   This draft is very segmented IMO.     Outside of 10-20 players (10 at the low end, 20 high end), I think the next 40-50 players are very VERY interchangeable.    I even said there were likely some 3rd round players that could be swapped around with certain players that would go in the late first, and I think we saw that with some of the picks at the end of the 1st.      There wasnt a single player I was overly excited to get at 28.  Not one.   There were a bunch I thought would be solid picks, but none I was really hoping for....which is very different from most years where there is usually at least 1.

Which is why trading Martavis for what we did was a good move IMO.    While the top wasnt strong, its a fairly deep draft.    I think we could potentially get 4 immediate contributors.    

Oh...and despite my questions about Edmunds, Ill absolutely take him over Guice or Michel.   Not that Edmunds is a better TALENT than either, but its a much smarter pick IMO....for reasons Ive already stated many many times. 

I haven't gone back to look yet, but what I recall is his movements aren't necessarily smooth say like Tarvarius Moore....they are more sudden and in bursts, kind of like his brother. He can move/close/catch up quickly on something like a missle..(perhaps they are trying to rekindle Troy).  Its most likely a play to match up with the tight ends we always have issues with. 

Still think we couldve gotten him in the 2nd, I mightve even suggested it at that point tomorrow looking down my list. 

If we got a back like Michel in the 1st and Edmunds in the 2nd would it make less sense? 

1 minute ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I haven't gone back to look yet, but what I recall is his movements aren't necessarily smooth say like Tarvarius Moore....they are more sudden and in bursts, kind of like his brother. He can move/close/catch up quickly on something like a missle..(perhaps they are trying to rekindle Troy).  Its most likely a play to match up with the tight ends we always have issues with. 

Still think we couldve gotten him in the 2nd, I mightve even suggested it at that point tomorrow looking down my list. 

If we got a back like Michel in the 1st and Edmunds in the 2nd would it make less sense? 

I wouldnt have supported any RB in the first round.      Does that matter?   No, but I likely wouldnt have watched the rest of the draft if we had. 

4 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wouldnt have supported any RB in the first round.      Does that matter?   No, but I likely wouldnt have watched the rest of the draft if we had. 

:) Im just glad it wasnt Rudolph or I probably wouldve stopped following the draft forever. I couldnt believe the talk in the 1st or at all really, but I'll swallow that pill if it comes. That trade pick is a possible spot for that.. But this Edmunds pick makes me think something like Shaq Griffin is possible. 

I really liked what I saw from Holton Hill but we didnt hear anything about him and the Steelers as far as Im aware, he was also suspended for last couple games of season.

1 minute ago, JLambert58 said:

I do remember a lot of people bitching and moaning on here after Shazier was picked four years ago.   So I will say now what I said then "I will remain optimistic."

Shazier at least had a 1st Rd Grade. Obviously we don't know how this kid will turn out. A bust? A HOF'r? Who knows. But what we do know is that he was drafted too early. Basically the Steelers were projecting that at least 4 Safeties (5 if you include Moore) would be gone before they pick again. I just don't think that would have happened. 

Archived