Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

14 minutes ago, 95lloyd said:

I don't get how you can label it as "panicked"  Teams are always aware someone they covet might be taken ahead of them.  Heck it is why teams try to move up.  Just because you lose said target doesn't mean the guy you end up taking is crap.  Evans went at 22, there were another 5 picks before we drafted Edmunds are we suppose to believe Colbert sat there that whole time thinking OMG OMG what are we going to do now?

Wouldn't shock me.  Lots of picks in the first round were shocks.  The panic part isn't just knowing Evans was gone.  You couple that with guys going earlier than expected, and you panic a bit with the "the way teams are picking this guy won't last to us, so we better take him now".

Panic picks are more than just your guy is gone.  Some of these you can expect like LVE going to Dallas, DJ Moore to Carolina, Wynn to NE.  But then you get Billy Price (who is a 1st round talent but injured) going at 21, Hayden Hurst (40 range) going at 25, Rashaad Penny (3rd) going right in front of you.

All the sudden you stop looking at your board, and start thinking about what if this guy goes between now and 60?  What if someone else values him this high?  He's not worth the 28th pick but we can't risk it.  

28 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Regarding Edmunds coming to the LOS, is part of the curbing aggression statement.  

I think that's easier said than done.

Okorafor has a tendency to catch defenders which allows them to get their hands inside which gives the defenders control.  Thanks for the breakdown.

Yea no problem.  I think with Okorafor you need to see him in the same mold as Villy.  Big good kid, who's basically a pile of clay that you can mold into a player.  Reports are he takes to coaching very well.

8 minutes ago, August4th said:

maybe the steelers plan B for ILB after missing out on evans will be through free agency or trade around TC like how we got haden/mcdonald last yr

they could have UFA in mind, but no cap space available:S  

What if the plan is that they know that artie and bud are going to break out and they won't need ILB as much.  xD

14 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

they could have UFA in mind, but no cap space available:S  

What if the plan is that they know that artie and bud are going to break out and they won't need ILB as much.  xD

feels like they will do or die with bud this yr... hoping we have something in Keion Adams because our LB depth looks ugly right now

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

In terms of value, the Steelers have failed thus far in this draft imo.  Rudolph was a good pick as a 3rd rounder, Washington was a good pick as a late 2nd rounder, but Edmunds was a reach and we did not need an OT imo.

We've had four picks you say we failed because two of them weren't value picks.  Yet one of the guys you suggested as a first round pick when we were on the clock .........

Harrison, Guice, or Landry

So if we had of drafted Harrison it's safe to assume you'd be on here saying that was a value pick.  Right? After all he was one of the guys you suggested was going to be our pick.  Yet the guy got drafted a full two rounds after Edmunds.  65 players got drafted between Edmunds and Harrison.   So where is the value?  At the end of the day it is all subjective.  Maybe if we had of taken Harrison Edmunds would of dropped to the bottom of the third round, then again maybe he gets taken one or two picks later.  We'll never know, it's subjective.  Now if Harrison had been the one selected at 28 there is no way in hell you'd be on here saying it was a reach because you obviously valued him as a late first round pick.  Every other NFL team disagrees with you because they all passed on him twice before he finally got taken.  

My point is it's unfair to call Edmunds a reach because you have absolutely no idea how other teams valued him.

I could see a Ben extension and and maybe a Bell extension shortly after the draft. 

I’m feeling strongly optimistic. Usually I’m the opposite. I haven’t loved the draft, I like the Washington and Rudolph picks and I like Edmunds as a player but he was a reach. I have really liked our offseason so far and I see the draft as an extension of their plans. This was a weak draft class, good depth but not a lot of bluechippers. It’s a good thing our team is already full of bluechippers. I think we’ve got 3 guys going into their second years that will make huge jumps. Sutton, Allen, and Adams can be studs.

Bostic looks like a guy who is right on the edge of the game clicking. It takes some people longer to adjust. He’s a very athletic run stopper and that’s exactly what we needed. Our defense relied too much on Shazier’s playmaking last year. I expect a more balanced, fundamental defense this year. Mitchell was a massive weak link because of his poor communication and tackling. We improved both greatly with Burnett. 

TLDR - The sky isn’t falling.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I could see a Ben extension and and maybe a Bell extension shortly after the draft. 

I’m feeling strongly optimistic. Usually I’m the opposite. I haven’t loved the draft, I like the Washington and Rudolph picks and I like Edmunds as a player but he was a reach. I have really liked our offseason so far and I see the draft as an extension of their plans. This was a weak draft class, good depth but not a lot of bluechippers. It’s a good thing our team is already full of bluechippers. I think we’ve got 3 guys going into their second years that will make huge jumps. Sutton, Allen, and Adams can be studs.

Bostic looks like a guy who is right on the edge of the game clicking. It takes some people longer to adjust. He’s a very athletic run stopper and that’s exactly what we needed. Our defense relied too much on Shazier’s playmaking last year. I expect a more balanced, fundamental defense this year. Mitchell was a massive weak link because of his poor communication and tackling. We improved both greatly with Burnett. 

TLDR - The sky isn’t falling.

Not going to lie, if they truly believe Mason Rudolph is the QB of the future, which I honestly think he could be, I'm hoping they do NOT extend Ben.  Bell, I'm on the fence about depending on how much it's going to cost.  If it requires us to pay him $17M/yr, he can go to another team as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand how they only picked 1 defensive player and 3 offensive players in these rounds. It's like they want to have games where the offense has to score 40 points to win. I may understand the QB pick because Landry is truly awful, but the WR and the OL were not a higher priority than defense, literally any position on defense.

5 minutes ago, 95lloyd said:

We've had four picks you say we failed because two of them weren't value picks.  Yet one of the guys you suggested as a first round pick when we were on the clock .........

So if we had of drafted Harrison it's safe to assume you'd be on here saying that was a value pick.  Right? After all he was one of the guys you suggested was going to be our pick.  Yet the guy got drafted a full two rounds after Edmunds.  65 players got drafted between Edmunds and Harrison.   So where is the value?  At the end of the day it is all subjective.  Maybe if we had of taken Harrison Edmunds would of dropped to the bottom of the third round, then again maybe he gets taken one or two picks later.  We'll never know, it's subjective.  Now if Harrison had been the one selected at 28 there is no way in hell you'd be on here saying it was a reach because you obviously valued him as a late first round pick.  Every other NFL team disagrees with you because they all passed on him twice before he finally got taken.  

My point is it's unfair to call Edmunds a reach because you have absolutely no idea how other teams valued him.

Edmunds ONLY got drafted when he did because we were the team that picked him.  I explained why I believe that Harrison fell and if you look back at some of my comments on Harrison well before the draft, he's a guy I was actually unsure of because he isn't spectacular as a coverage safety.  I'd say that at least 28 teams didn't value him at all.  Considering a few of the teams in behind us were originally in front of us, I think that # is closer to #31 at least not as a 1st round pick.

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

Duh...I mean, they win the draft every year, and are perennial SB contenders...

Just look at that list; how do you lose with those prospects; not too mention the fact that they had TWICE as many picks in 2016 (14) that every other team gets...AND...had another 10 picks last year...AND...had 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year!  

Honestly, the fact that they haven't been a playoff contender is mind-boggling.  If they do not make the playoffs this year, then the owner should fire EVERYONE, including himself. and sell the team to Art Midell's son, David, and Brown's fans should just become fans of whatever city he picks up and move the team to, just as his father did...

there is a reason why most say the QB is the most important player on the team. Like it or not, they make that much of a difference. Browns have made some mistakes, and the losing culture mightn't help some players, but I expect them to rebound. They showed good effort last year, but in this current NFL the D can only keep the team in a game for so long.  All of the losing the browns have had drafting an underdog of sorts (mayfield at #1) can have even a fan of a divisional rival hoping they rebound and become a better team.  I thought they should have went with Chubb, him and Garrett would help the pass rush. 

Archived