1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

6 hours ago, SDotNova said:

This is it. The general play of offensive lineman has gone down. Some of it has to do with injuries but only 13 centers had a grade of 70 and above last year. If you look at tackles and guards, only about 32 of each graded above 70. So on average most teams have 1 good tackle and 1 good guard and a player below average at the other guard and tackle spots. 

I recall reading an article that said college offenses have hurt lineman development  just as much as QBs. 

I think we will manage fine this year. But getting 1 impact player on this line will go a long way. Convince Dallas they don’t need Zack Martin. They can’t franchise Martin and Lawrence, right? 

Let's grab whichever one they don't.  Both are great players at positions of need.

9 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Missing the two seconds hurt us in terms of adding OL talent, by the time we were picking again they were pretty much depleted. 

Our new blocking scheme is also made to help Linemen out however I wouldn't say these guys are all natural fits. Long and Beachum should thrive while Winters is scheme versatile IMO. Shell I'm not sure of and Carpenter already struggled in a Bates scheme so who knows but he's played better since then.

I think the Line can be above average next year honestly, healthier plus adding an upgrade at Center.

The only position where its been proven that it is extremely hard to find a blue-chipper outside the 1st round is LT; otherwise, diamonds are found at LG-through-RT in pro FA and Day 2-UDFA on a regular basis. I think you're spot on in that Long, Beachum should benefit (I'd lump Shell in there too), but Carpenter will struggle. 

7 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I think we will manage fine this year. But getting 1 impact player on this line will go a long way. Convince Dallas they don’t need Zack Martin. They can’t franchise Martin and Lawrence, right? 

It's going to be fascinating to see what Dallas does next year. We're going to be major players for any and all young FAs, and I think we'll land one-or-two blue chippers that make it to the market. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/05/jeremy_bates_didnt_overhaul_jets_offense_but_what.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Couple nice articles on NJ.com today. Beachum said Bates is running a quasi-WCO. Similar to last year but with more outside zone. Not a big overhaul from last year. This is pretty much what we all speculated but it’s nice to hear from someone on the team. 

One of the reasons I didn’t like Mayfield was his lack of humility. What a lot of vets don’t like about those egos are that the player isn’t proven at the NFL level and they need to earn that ego. I don’t think Mayfield had an ounce of humility in him and that’s why I thought he as a QB would be a struggle.

Darnold on the other hand looks very humble but with confidence. I think he will absolutely show humility and show vets respect.

He also I think will compete. I think a guy like Mayfield would have that chip on his shoulder that he should 100% start from Day 1. Darnold will be perfectly happy going through the process of being groomed. Of course he will want to start. But won’t have that chip on his shoulder. 

6 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Robby Anderson is going to hate Darnold then lol

Maybe that's exactly what Robby needs. For Darnold to lead by example and hopefully he will follow. Maybe that's just me being optomisitc but it would be awfully nice if Robby could continue to grow with Darnold and be one of his go to guys. 

2 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

Maybe that's exactly what Robby needs. For Darnold to lead by example and hopefully he will follow. Maybe that's just me being optomisitc but it would be awfully nice if Robby could continue to grow with Darnold and be one of his go to guys. 

I don’t really see Robby as an issue on the field. It’s all this off the field stuff during the offseason.

But you’re right, maybe at the end of the season, Darnold (someone) can tell the kid to stay out of Florida. The kid just can’t handle free time. 

As good as he was last year, I think he can be awesome. Not many receivers have his height, hands and speed combo. 

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I don’t really see Robby as an issue on the field. It’s all this off the field stuff during the offseason.

But you’re right, maybe at the end of the season, Darnold (someone) can tell the kid to stay out of Florida. The kid just can’t handle free time. 

As good as he was last year, I think he can be awesome. Not many receivers have his height, hands and speed combo. 

Well his hands actually aren’t that great. He has a knack for making difficult catches but dropping easy passes. He also is a very me person. It showed last year When he started promoting himself to the pro bowl.

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well his hands actually aren’t that great. He has a knack for making difficult catches but dropping easy passes. He also is a very me person. It showed last year When he started promoting himself to the pro bowl.

Yea. I’m thinking of his knack for making those difficult catches. Didn’t look at his drop rate.

Darnold is special, I still can't believe we landed him. But we've seen the Browns do a lot of dumb things over the years, that franchise just seems snake bitten and doomed always.  

Robby Anderson is talented and a good player, but next year we must find Darnold a #1 WR. Anderson is gonna end up out of the league, hes just too unstable. And he is definitely a me player. 

32 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Darnold is special, I still can't believe we landed him. But we've seen the Browns do a lot of dumb things over the years, that franchise just seems snake bitten and doomed always.  

Robby Anderson is talented and a good player, but next year we must find Darnold a #1 WR. Anderson is gonna end up out of the league, hes just too unstable. And he is definitely a me player. 

As long as Anderson shows the ability, the NFL will continue to give him a chance.

Anderson is not Moss. But look at how many chances Moss was giving? 4.3 speed doesn’t grow on trees. So teams are always going to think, we are going to be the ones to breakthrough and benefit. Josh Gordon is another example. That dude will be in the league until Goodell kicks him out.

Man Moss had a Hall of game career. But imagine what he could have done if his head was in the game? 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

As long as Anderson shows the ability, the NFL will continue to give him a chance.

Anderson is not Moss. But look at how many chances Moss was giving? 4.3 speed doesn’t grow on trees. So teams are always going to think, we are going to be the ones to breakthrough and benefit. Josh Gordon is another example. That dude will be in the league until Goodell kicks him out.

Man Moss had a Hall of game career. But imagine what he could have done if his head was in the game? 

Anderson has already in a couple years been in more trouble than Miss did for a while career. So I don’t really get that comparison. I know you weren’t implying that Robby and Moss are similar players. But the skill does allow a longer string. Miss had more talent in 1 hand than Anderson does in his whole body.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Anderson has already in a couple years been in more trouble than Miss did for a while career. So I don’t really get that comparison. I know you weren’t implying that Robby and Moss are similar players. But the skill does allow a longer string. Miss had more talent in 1 hand than Anderson does in his whole body.

Definitely the more talent the longer the string and I agree Robby is no Moss.

Moss did a lot of stuff though. He went to jail for a month in HS for fighting, splashed water on an official, bumped a traffic cop with his car (arrested and had to do community service), took plays off and said he plays when he wants to, they found marijuana in his car (charges were later dropped), involved in a fight with the Bears. He also had to take anger management classes for verbally abusing a corporate sponsor. 

4 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

#1 WR is extremely overrated these days honestly. Give me 3 "#2" guys and build up the O-Line and run game. If Darnold is great he won't need a true "#1"

Archived