49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

If you are afraid he won't be there if you trade down it probably means he really is the one guy you want. Last year with Thomas we traded down one spot without knowing who the Bears would take because we felt comfortable if we missed out on him. This year apparently they really wanted McGlinchey which means they had him as one of their top grades. You can argue is that evaluation is right but from all i read and saw he is a high character hard working guy that will work his *** of to get better. 

Personally i would have preferred to go with Tremaine Edmunds but apparently our FO rated him lower than they do McGlinchey. Same with Terrell Edmunds who eveywhere was rated as a 3rd rounder still the Steelers felt they wanted him bad enough to make him the pick in the first. If you love the player you grab him and you don't risk losing him.

41 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

If teams always picked the 9th best player at #9, the 10th best player at #10, the 11th best player at #11, and so on, then maybe this couldn't be a reach. However, teams overdraft players every year and players bust every year. Three teams can overrate the same player, especially if they are doing so at a need position. That would make that player a reach.

You're talking about hindsight value, but we won't know what that is for years. It's definitely possible for the Niners, Raiders, and Ravens to  have massively overrated McGlinchey, but we don't know his value at all. We're all just doing our best to project.

The cost of being the team to find out his value in this draft was the 9th pick, whether that ends up being worth it or not in the future is yet to be determined. 

20 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

They took him at 9 because they thought he is a can't miss stud. I don't necessarily agree with their thinking on that. I wanted a trade down over anyone at 9.

Exactly. I agree with this completely. 

All I'm saying is we all seem to disagree with the player, not the value.

49 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

That's exactly my point. You were wrong about where everyone else had him rated. The online community was lower on him than the NFL community, there was quite a discrepency. Raiders were locked in on him at 10 and the Ravens at 16. Mayock, who is probably the pulse of where teams have prospects rated, had him at 8. 

Mayock is as good as he is because he has insight into what teams are likely to do. He has great connections. Unlike most guys he doesn't do a mock till a day or two before the draft, after he's found out a lot about what teams are likley to do. So by then sure he hears we're interested and he puts him high up in his board.  His big board is not necessarily a scout's eye view. It is more his insight based on his sources. Look at a guy like Daniel Jeremiah  who was a professional talent evaluator and did participate in NFL drafts.. He did 3 big boards. Had McGLinchey at 35 in his first two then at 31 in his last one. Then a couple days later he comes out with his last mock and had him going to us at 9.  He didn't re-think his evaluation. He just found out we were leaning that way.  I saw several "last mocks" that had McG going at 9 or 10. All of those had him going much lower in earlier versions. Those new ones didn't represent some new idea of his value; they represented not wanting to be too wrong once they heard a couple teams were looking at him higher up.

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

The bolded is my point. If it weren't for the Raiders, we could've traded down with Cardinals and still pick McGlinchey ahead of the Ravens. I rated him as a middle to late first. Picking him at 15 is at the top of where I thought he'd go. Because the raiders forced our hand, we needed to take the guy we wanted earlier than where he should've gone. My point is, we could've had the guy we wanted and traded down for extra picks if it weren't for one team. There weren't multiple teams chomping at the bit to take him in the top 10, McGlinchey didn't "fall" to us. We took him higher than expected because of one team. 

At the end of the day, the niners got the guy they wanted.

The two bolded parts of this post are the very definition of a "reach". If you have a guy rated in the middle of the first and you make him a top 10 pick becasued you're afraid someone else will take him before the middle of the first then you've reach for that guy. Reaching means taking a guy ahead of where you had him rated, not where some other team had him rated. Drafting out of fear instead of always striving for value is a losing proposition over the long haul. I can see doing that for a team that's SB contender and is looking for only a single piece or two. Then go get those pieces. But over the long haul that's a recipe for failure as a franchise.

13 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

True. I hope he plays well for us for a long time. 

Shanahan really wanted to help Jimmy G by getting his run game jump started. Granted, it did suck last year. McKinnon and McGlintchey are two big investments. 

Kyle has now got basically the offensive personnel that he wants: two good tackles who can execute his schemes, an excellent fit at center, disposable guards, a versatile TE in Kittle, an "offensive weapon" in Juice, receivers who can separate, and a stable of RBs who are good in outside zone and as pass-catchers...oh, and Jimmy.

Kyle clearly has a coherent plan, and I think we'll see great things out of the offense this season. Think of how much turnover on offense we've seen since Kyle took over. Other than Staley, the personnel are almost completely new. It's impressive work for one year.

35 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

They took him at 9 because they thought he is a can't miss stud. I don't necessarily agree with their thinking on that. I wanted a trade down over anyone at 9.

or was it because they really wanted to draft a tackle and he was the best tackle available?

17 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

You're talking about hindsight value, but we won't know what that is for years. It's definitely possible for the Niners, Raiders, and Ravens to  have massively overrated McGlinchey, but we don't know his value at all. We're all just doing our best to project.

The cost of being the team to find out his value in this draft was the 9th pick, whether that ends up being worth it or not in the future is yet to be determined. 

Correct. And some people are of the opinion he is a good pick. Some are of the opinion he is a reach. Neither are known for sure. Whether or not he's a top 15 player from this class will ultimately decide that.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

or was it because they really wanted to draft a tackle and he was the best tackle available?

I doubt that. They really needed a QB last year, but passed on Trubisky because they didn't like him. I don't see any compelling reason to believe they reached based on positional need.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Kyle has now got basically the offensive personnel that he wants: two good tackles who can execute his schemes, an excellent fit at center, disposable guards, a versatile TE in Kittle, an "offensive weapon" in Juice, receivers who can separate, and a stable of RBs who are good in outside zone and as pass-catchers...oh, and Jimmy.

Kyle clearly has a coherent plan, and I think we'll see great things out of the offense this season. Think of how much turnover on offense we've seen since Kyle took over. Other than Staley, the personnel are almost completely new. It's impressive work for one year.

Frankly, I think this is one of the best statement on the pick for me to get behind. I think Shanny is a really good, creative coach. He probably derserves to have a team built exactly as he wants it so he can execute things exactly as he wants. It will probably take a couple of years or more to see how that works out in the long run. Speaking of the long run, I did want us to take an OT in this draft. And most folks rate him as the best in this draft class. So I like the pick from that perspective too.

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Correct. And some people are of the opinion he is a good pick. Some are of the opinion he is a reach. Neither are known for sure. Whether or not he's a top 15 player from this class will ultimately decide that.

I agree that he can be a reach in hindsight, but the point I've been trying to (quite unsuccessfully) make is about him not being a reach at this point in time.

None of this really matters, though. It will work out how it works out. We're all just hoping for the best.

8 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I agree that he can be a reach in hindsight, but the point I've been trying to (quite unsuccessfully) make is about him not being a reach at this point in time.

None of this really matters, though. It will work out how it works out. We're all just hoping for the best.

That's why I don't even look at where other people had him rated. Only where I did. Makes it a lot simpler lol. But as you guys said, none of it really matters. I mean, we weren't getting him lower, so there was no chance at an increased value somewhere for him specifically. If he works out, nobody cares - does anyone care about the Travis Frederick selection in Dallas? Very similar situation in my opinion. 

That being said, I'm a guy that loves the draft. I'm not a hard core draftnik, but I follow college players and evaluate them enough that I take great joy in watching the draft play out against how I feel, which is where any good feelings or animosity will stem from at the time of the selection. This is quite frankly where a lot of my entertainment for the draft comes from. If I wasn't into prospect evaluation, I find it highly unlikely that I would even watch the draft (let alone hang on a message board and pound the keys with comment after comment). After the draft is over, I'm pretty much, okay, whatever. Who we drafted and where is pretty inconsequential. This is why we do the Are you smarter than an NFL GM though, right? I mean, that's about the only lasting factor that is included in this. 3 years from now, for better or worse, I'm goingn to look back and say, "I knew we should have taken Minkah", or, "Thank god the front office is smarter than me" lol. 

25 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

This kind of discussion makes it seem like there is no such thing as a reach. Yet everyone talks about "reaches". Also FWIW I personally can't abide a definition of "reach" that involves waiting a few years and looking at a guy's career. That kind of definition is utterly useless.That's like trading your first rounder for some other team's 7th rounder and calling it a great trede as long as the guy you picked ends up having a better career than the guy they picked.

Archived