49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

Just now, Melbourne 9er said:

Don't know why we can't have all 3 of them. With Brown's injuries and weight issues (and maybe the 2 are related) I would much rather have McG on the right side and Brown backing up both tackle spots. If we can get a 2nd or 3rd this year, well and good. However having a starting quality tackle on 7th rounder money for 1 more year will pay for itself. Then we could look at getting a comp pick in FA if he decides to go.

Drew Rosenhaus is probably already getting prepared to ask for a trade.  Coming off the bench does nothing for his client's FA stock.

41 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

McGlinchey's Twitter bio says 49ers #69. He wore #68 at Notre Dame. Beadles has #68 currently.

Hopefully, he can switch to #68 soon. 

Beadles for a bag of chips? He had a good season once, guys! It could be an old bag of chips! We really aren't going to cut him.

If McGilchey is the day one starter, we will likely have a top 3 run blocking tackle duo. Go from a top 3 pass blocking duo to a top 3 run blocking duo. Does Shanny believe due to how quickly Garoppolo gets rid of the ball that it is more important for his tackles to be good in that area opposite to being pure pass protectors?  

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If McGilchey is the day one starter, we will likely have a top 3 run blocking tackle duo. Go from a top 3 pass blocking duo to a top 3 run blocking duo. Does Shanny believe due to how quickly Garoppolo gets rid of the ball that it is more important for his tackles to be good in that area opposite to being pure pass protectors?  

I think it has more to do with wanting someone that can do both at an above average level. Brown might be the best RT in pass pro but also was like the 30th RT in terms of run blocking. With McGlinchey i think its more well rounded where if he can improve he can be top 10 in both facets.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I thought of that this morning as well. Jimmy's quick release will help mitigate the difference (though, if he's getting hit even more, that's still a bad thing). 

I also thought - if you're going to pay a ton for McKinnon, it makes sense to invest in improvement in run blocking.

He has some limitations@LT but alot of his troubles can be corrected with better technique/coaching. He should fair much better on the right side. If Brown is indeed on the way out, this pick looks a whole lot better. Especially if we can get two picks in both the 2nd and 3rd round. We can plug alot of holes with 4 picks in those two rounds.

• Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - From San Francisco*
  • Round 2, Pick 31 (63rd overall) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 3, Pick 31 (95th overall) - Assigned Selection
  • Round 6, Pick 24 (198th overall) - From Los Angeles Rams*
  • Round 6, Pick 36 (210th overall) - From Oakland
  • Round 7, Pick 1 (219th overall) - From Cleveland

NE's Remaining picks. I'd take that third but would be happy if we got a second haha.

25 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I hope it's for our old 2nd. Jimmy Garoppolo for Trent Brown will be the greatest trade ever.

It's a good trade, Bill. You get a tackle for year and get to stick it to the organization and Josh McDaniels. Win win. Win. Because you also help out your friends by the bay. 

Archived